diy solar

diy solar

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME SPECIFICALLY WHAT I NEED TO GET TO MAKE THIS SYSTEM WORK

Rachael9221971

I am trying hard to build a system that I can build onto over much time, but I need to have the initial system up and running in less than 2 weeks. I know it is small for now but it's what I have... "Traveler Kit" from Renogy : (2)100w Mono Solar Panels - 30 amp PWM Charge Controller- 12v 100ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery- 1000w Inverter.
I know I need an MPPT Charge Controller also a 30 amp? I know I need more Solar Panels and Batteries, and someday possibly even Lithium Iron Phosphate but I can't do that now. And I guess I need 2 inline ANL Fuses but what amperage?? And do I also need a Circuit Breaker? Please help!! And if there is anything I have left out completely, please feel free to add that as well. I would greatly appreciate your help. Sincerely, Rachael9221971

I am trying hard to build a system that I can build onto over much time, but I need to have the initial system up and running in less than 2 weeks. I know it is small for now but it's what I have... "Traveler Kit" from Renogy : (2)100w Mono Solar Panels - 30 amp PWM Charge Controller- 12v 100ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery- 1000w Inverter.

I know I need an MPPT Charge Controller also a 30 amp? I know I need more Solar Panels and Batteries, and someday possibly even Lithium Iron Phosphate but I can't do that now. And I guess I need 2 inline ANL Fuses but what amperage?? And do I also need a Circuit Breaker? Please help!! And if there is anything I have left out completely, please feel free to add that as well. I would greatly appreciate your help. Sincerely, Rachael9221971

Hi Rachael, I think you will receive better help if you give a bit more information about:

(1) your goals
(2) your context (i.e. a hobby system, a van or camper, a cabin, etc)
(3) what you want to be able to power now and in the future

Is this kit similar to what you have currently?
123.jpg

G’day Rachel, If you can go and visit a Solar Shop, or a really solar hobbies, in person just talking to the sales team should will really help you kinda work out what issues your having, and give you some Direction, in what your trying to achieve all up.?

With what you now own. Assuming you use marine grade wire.
The panels to the chare controller do not need fuses. A disconnect switch would be desired.
The cable from the CC to the battery should be sized for least voltage drop based on distance. If 5 feet, that is 10 feet round trip + and -.
Blue Sea recommends 8awg. Or the largest that can connect to the CC battery lugs.
That 8 awg will carry 80 amperes and I would fuse it with 80 ampere fuse at the positive battery terminal.
1000W inverter will likely need 100 amperes. Same 10 feet, Blue Sea chart, lists 4 awg. That is good for 160 amperes and the closest is 150 ampere fuse at the battery positive terminal.
You can use a MRBF such as this fuse holder. https://www.bluesea.com/products/2151/Dual_MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A
Here is a Blue Sea chart; http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/
Remember this is the least needed for what you have now. Upgrades will need different calculations. Carefully read all the operating manuals that came with your system. Good Luck, it aint that hard.

Last edited:
Back