diy solar

diy solar

something fried

b&j solar raise

just bought solar mppt 40/60amp charge controler,i have it wired to 24 volt system 4 (6 volt) agm batteries 2 200 watt solar panels.it started smoking,i took it apart it`s one of 12 little things i think capacitors,one is fried,they have rubber looks like heat shrink on them,thats what smoked,can it be fixed or should i buy new one and get the right size breaker this time.

just bought solar mppt 40/60amp charge controler,i have it wired to 24 volt system 4 (6 volt) agm batteries 2 200 watt solar panels.it started smoking,i took it apart it`s one of 12 little things i think capacitors,one is fried,they have rubber looks like heat shrink on them,thats what smoked,can it be fixed or should i buy new one and get the right size breaker this time.
Were the two 200 watt solar panels connected in Series?
21volts x two 200 watt solar panels would be 42 volts into your 40/60amp charge controller.

What brand and model of charge controller?

What the Vmp of each panel? If they are 12V nominal panels, then they could not charge your battery? Even a 24V nominal panel might not charge in parallel, depending on how hot the panels were. I've never heard of too low a voltage damaging a controller though?

no they`re in parallel,it`s just an off brand solar mppt
What the Vmp of each panel? If they are 12V nominal panels, then they could not charge your battery? Even a 24V nominal panel might not charge in parallel, depending on how hot the panels were. I've never heard of too low a voltage damaging a controller though?
25.4 mpvand open circut is32.3

when i looked at the charge controler last the pv indicater the solar panel input showed 29.4 volts and that was after the sun had gone down a little,and wasn`t on the panels

Assuming your MPPT is rated for 40V/60A, which I have to say is very odd, then with your panels in parallel this is only 32.3V i.e. Voc = 32.3V, so would not breach maximum pv voltage specs, and 400W of PV is not going to breach 60A on the battery side (400W / 24V = 16A). Are you absolutely sure these are the specs for your SCC? What model is it?

Is your SCC under warranty? If so, I'd request a replacement (you have not breached specs). If not, I'd probably consider replacing the damaged component(s). It's always tricky because you don't know if there's been other damage beside the obvious but, replacing a capacitor costs $0.50, replacing a SCC cost a lot more than $0.50.

As a side note, with an MPPT SCC, you'd achieve higher efficiency if your panels were connected in series, additionally, you'd be able to maintain a charge on your 24V(nominal) battery for longer.

i returned it waiting for refund to buy new one,i have an old one i can use for now,and as far as if i hooked up panels before battery,i don`t remember to be ohnest it was at night when i hooked it up,thanks for the help, i`m going back to drawing board to use wills example,to the t so i don`t screw up,i`m for sure a true newbie .thanks again

Back