diy solar

diy solar

Solar house generator I started DIY back in 2000 - My path from Trace to Xantrex (on FLA battery) to XW Pro inverters on Tesla Model S batteries

ah, that makes sense - for lawyers and what not, but not for an engineer

The Trace SW4024 I have now was used a lot in India with just batteries to provide businesses with reliable power, since their grid is a sh**storm

I was wondering why they would change that. Now the time difference is between 1999 and 2005 between the two units.

since I am a rebel, I guess I will figure out a way to switch between SB (stand by - UPS) mode and BX mode, manually

I also guess eventually I will get the Sigineer which does the battery cutin/cutout like my current inverter

thanks for the explaination
Great info, i'll have to look at the specs on my SW4048 I already purchased to use on mine (at 48V DC) and see how it compares, I already have thousands invested in Schneider but am loving the updates and community with Victron so may switch, the numbers will determine that, thanks for sharing. Did your EVTV BMS come with the contactors or did you have to purchase them separately?

Jen

Great info, i'll have to look at the specs on my SW4048 I already purchased to use on mine (at 48V DC) and see how it compares, I already have thousands invested in Schneider but am loving the updates and community with Victron so may switch, the numbers will determine that, thanks for sharing. Did your EVTV BMS come with the contactors or did you have to purchase them separately?

Jen

are you referring to this one?

Then the manual is

122 pages - read them all, and then forcus on charging and operation on re-reads

for custom charging numbers see page 4-20/table 4-11 - DO NOT USE LITHIUM-ION Battery type for Tesla batteries

for inverter CUTIN and CUTOUT numbers see pages 4-11
see page 4-7 table 4-1 for batt type CUSTOM

Parameterrange VDCsuggested setting
bulk volts50.8-64.050.8 (tesla can support 50.4)
bulk termination voltage (this might work fine)50.0-63.250.0
float volts50.0-64.050.0
absorption40.0-64.050.0
low battery cut out40.0-48.040.0 (tesla can go to 38volts) you lose 2 volts
low battery cut in??probably not available on your inverter, just on my old one
high battery cut out58.0-68.050.4 (NOT POSSIBLE) would have to rely on ESP32 BMS to disconnect in order to protect Tesla batteries
Low Battery transfer to grid??probably not available on your inverter, just on my old one

Using the Low Battery Cut Out and LBCO Delay Settings (page 4-11)

The Low Batt Cut Out setting is the lowest battery voltage level acceptable for use by the inverter. When the batteries discharge to the Low Batt Cut Out setting and are held at or below this level for the LBCO Delay time, the inverter output shuts down and transfers any available AC source (like an AC generator) to the charger to bring the battery level back above the Low Batt Cut Out setting. After shutdown, the inverter does not support any AC loads, and AC loads must be powered by an AC generator.If using an automatic generator starting system, it is recommended to set the Xanbus AGS voltage trigger setting higher than the Conext SW Low Batt Cut Out voltage. Otherwise, inverter output turns off before the generator automatically starts, causing the battery voltage to recover slightly. This may then stop the Xanbus AGS from starting the generator or result in the inverter cycling on and off multiple times before the generator automatically starts.If using an automatic generator starting system with the start trigger set to the same voltage as the LBCO voltage, do not set the LBCO Delay for less than the amount of time it takes the generator to start and connect. Otherwise, inverter output turns off before the generator automatically starts, causing the battery voltage to recover slightly. This may then stop the Xanbus AGS from starting the generator or result in the inverter cycling on and off multiple times before the generator automatically starts

Low Battery Cut Out Hysteresis

Low battery cut out (Low Batt Cut Out) (LBCO) preserves battery life by stopping the inverter when battery voltage drops down to the LBCO value for a few seconds (see LBCO Delay below), then battery charging commences. When charging starts, the voltage level jumps a little but enough that inverting might resume abruptly. Then, battery voltage goes down again and charging starts abruptly. To prevent the inverter from switching abruptly between inverting and charging, the LBCO Hysteresis value is added to the LBCO value to allow the battery voltage to reach a sufficient energy capacity level before inverting resumes. This feature contributes to battery health.See “Advanced Features Menu” on page4–37.

Low Battery Cut Out (LBCO) controls when the inverter stops producing AC output due to a low battery voltage condition. The inverter will stop producing AC output only after this level has been reached for the period of time set by the LBCO Delay. This setting is not temperature compensated.

Hi Batt Cut Out (page 4-10)

sets the maximum battery voltage at which the inverter will operate. If the battery voltage exceeds this limit for more than one minute, the Conext SW displays a fault message and shuts down. The inverter will not support AC loads when in this condition. If a qualified AC source is present, the unit passes AC through to the loads. The inverter automatically restarts when the voltage drops to 3 volts below the Hi Batt Cut Out setting. If battery voltage continues to rise after shutdown, an external charger may still be charging the batteries. The Conext SWcannot control how external chargers operate.

DISABLE/TURN OFF EQUALIZE FUNCTION

Configuration sheet on page 4-39

Jen, send me a private message for more communications like phone number

Last edited:
Did your EVTV BMS come with the contactors or did you have to purchase them separately?

Jen

The ESP32 comes with 2 contactors inside the box, 1 for POS and 1 for NEG

if you are referring to the contactors which I control incoming array lines, I bought those separate, around $115 each (4 for 4 arrays) and then wired up the relay to enable/disable then using the ESP32 CHARGE signal to turn on/off the relay

The ESP32 comes with 2 contactors inside the box, 1 for POS and 1 for NEG

if you are referring to the contactors which I control incoming array lines, I bought those separate, around $115 each (4 for 4 arrays) and then wired up the relay to enable/disable then using the ESP32 CHARGE signal to turn on/off the relay
Thank you, i knew you had to get the array ones, was curious about the ESP ones, excellent, thanks..

are you referring to this one?

Then the manual is

122 pages - read them all, and then forcus on charging and operation on re-reads

for custom charging numbers see page 4-20/table 4-11 - DO NOT USE LITHIUM-ION Battery type for Tesla batteries

for inverter CUTIN and CUTOUT numbers see pages 4-11
see page 4-7 table 4-1 for batt type CUSTOM

Parameterrange VDCsuggested setting
bulk volts50.8-64.050.8 (tesla can support 50.4)
bulk termination voltage (this might work fine)50.0-63.250.0
float volts50.0-64.050.0
absorption40.0-64.050.0
low battery cut out40.0-48.040.0 (tesla can go to 38volts) you lose 2 volts
low battery cut in??probably not available on your inverter, just on my old one
high battery cut out58.0-68.050.4 (NOT POSSIBLE) would have to rely on ESP32 BMS to disconnect in order to protect Tesla batteries
Low Battery transfer to grid??probably not available on your inverter, just on my old one

Using the Low Battery Cut Out and LBCO Delay Settings (page 4-11)

The Low Batt Cut Out setting is the lowest battery voltage level acceptable for use by the inverter. When the batteries discharge to the Low Batt Cut Out setting and are held at or below this level for the LBCO Delay time, the inverter output shuts down and transfers any available AC source (like an AC generator) to the charger to bring the battery level back above the Low Batt Cut Out setting. After shutdown, the inverter does not support any AC loads, and AC loads must be powered by an AC generator.If using an automatic generator starting system, it is recommended to set the Xanbus AGS voltage trigger setting higher than the Conext SW Low Batt Cut Out voltage. Otherwise, inverter output turns off before the generator automatically starts, causing the battery voltage to recover slightly. This may then stop the Xanbus AGS from starting the generator or result in the inverter cycling on and off multiple times before the generator automatically starts.If using an automatic generator starting system with the start trigger set to the same voltage as the LBCO voltage, do not set the LBCO Delay for less than the amount of time it takes the generator to start and connect. Otherwise, inverter output turns off before the generator automatically starts, causing the battery voltage to recover slightly. This may then stop the Xanbus AGS from starting the generator or result in the inverter cycling on and off multiple times before the generator automatically starts

Low Battery Cut Out Hysteresis

Low battery cut out (Low Batt Cut Out) (LBCO) preserves battery life by stopping the inverter when battery voltage drops down to the LBCO value for a few seconds (see LBCO Delay below), then battery charging commences. When charging starts, the voltage level jumps a little but enough that inverting might resume abruptly. Then, battery voltage goes down again and charging starts abruptly. To prevent the inverter from switching abruptly between inverting and charging, the LBCO Hysteresis value is added to the LBCO value to allow the battery voltage to reach a sufficient energy capacity level before inverting resumes. This feature contributes to battery health.See “Advanced Features Menu” on page4–37.

Low Battery Cut Out (LBCO) controls when the inverter stops producing AC output due to a low battery voltage condition. The inverter will stop producing AC output only after this level has been reached for the period of time set by the LBCO Delay. This setting is not temperature compensated.

Hi Batt Cut Out (page 4-10)

sets the maximum battery voltage at which the inverter will operate. If the battery voltage exceeds this limit for more than one minute, the Conext SW displays a fault message and shuts down. The inverter will not support AC loads when in this condition. If a qualified AC source is present, the unit passes AC through to the loads. The inverter automatically restarts when the voltage drops to 3 volts below the Hi Batt Cut Out setting. If battery voltage continues to rise after shutdown, an external charger may still be charging the batteries. The Conext SWcannot control how external chargers operate.

DISABLE/TURN OFF EQUALIZE FUNCTION

Configuration sheet on page 4-39

Jen, send me a private message for more communications like phone number
Thank you sir... that's great info, I appreciate you taking the time... when people on the Victron forum (Victron owned forum) asked for the low voltage cutoff to be lowered for Tesla packs, they pushed new firmware, with Schneider I couldn't even get a response to a support ticket I filed, time will tell... but thank you, that's the inverter correct... and again thanks for the work you put into your post.
Jen

Starting to order my stuff as well.... thanks for posting your build list / receipt, it made it much easier to do mine..

Although, I must say, what I saw on the bottom of the receipt (see below) saddened me ... :(

Jen
1613770286323.png

1613770439238.png

Fantastic!

Glad to be of help. I sure like to to share my experiences so others don't re-learn my bad choices

I did order the fuse holder, but ended up NOT using it. If you can cancel that item it will save you $53.

I did inline the fuse between the ESP32 and the main DC buss bar. Black cable on left heads off to the inverter

inline fuse.jpg

I guess you didn't get the memo
They installed an email forwarder on to heaven....................

Last edited:
I did order the fuse holder, but ended up NOT using it. If you can cancel that item it will save you $53. I did inline the fuse
Thanks, I plan on mounting the fuse holder on the back wall rather than on the battery terminal itself as Mr. Massey back east mentions in his video how hot it gets and being in Arizona, anything I can do to cut out heat is a win... :) Thank you though.

AC for the house is now being run by the GRID only, no solar as I refactor the system and swap out the Inverter

Refactored/Switched the battery from 24V configuration to 48V - to 2S3P
My first batteries are on the bottom row and I add new (to me) ones above the existing ones

20210219_155010.jpg

The display showing 47.6 volt AND charging

20210219_155018.jpg

At this moment the 4 arrays had an output of 1576w

20210219_155028.jpg

After the hardware refactor, I needed to modify the software settings:

A) I had to change the ESP34 Pi Display Settings, just one parameter from 6 Series to 3 Series and it took care of the rest

B) Had to modify the charging parameters for the array controllers. Set Array 1 (Device 11), then did a "Copy From Device 11" to each of the other 3. On Device 11,. needed to set 48v battery, the Bulk, Absorb, Float, LBCO, ReCharge levels to 48v entries

The best feeling is that I am NO LONGER max'ing out my charge controllers at 60amps. They should run cooler now

Next Step is the AC side

Last edited:
Thanks, I plan on mounting the fuse holder on the back wall rather than on the battery terminal itself as Mr. Massey back east mentions in his video how hot it gets and being in Arizona, anything I can do to cut out heat is a win... :) Thank you though.

talk to me when you do it, as I did it wrong and yes it over heated and I melted the holder a bit
If you look at the above pic, you see how each lug is positioned against the other. I didn't do that the first time
and that is what messed mine up

Thank you sir... that's great info, I appreciate you taking the time... when people on the Victron forum (Victron owned forum) asked for the low voltage cutoff to be lowered for Tesla packs, they pushed new firmware, with Schneider I couldn't even get a response to a support ticket I filed, time will tell... but thank you, that's the inverter correct... and again thanks for the work you put into your post.
Jen

Yeah schneider is the Big Boys company.

Tell me, which device did Victron provide new firmware for? Controllers? Inverters?
Like to know the options out there

Or do you have a link?

Good to hear of such tech support

and here is a pic of the monitoring page showing the voltage changes

Switch from 24v to 48v.jpg

Last edited:
Jennifer

I have a SE SCP module that I can't use. If you continue with SE inverter and you don't have a SCP you might ponder if you want to buy mine

just offering

Yeah schneider is the Big Boys company.

Tell me, which device did Victron provide new firmware for? Controllers? Inverters?
Like to know the options out there

Or do you have a link?

Good to hear of such tech support

and here is a pic of the monitoring page showing the voltage changes

View attachment 37712

Hi Doug, it was for the Multiplus inverter/charger sofware, not the firmware, I was incorrect, it was for an update to VE Configure. Here is the link: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/28646/tesla-battery-and-multiplus.html as well as this one: https://community.victronenergy.com...t-voltage.html?childToView=28892#answer-28892

Another good one: https://community.victronenergy.com...rn-on-in.html?childToView=26433#comment-26433

And here: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/07/17/ve-bus-firmware-460-veconfigure-and-venus-os-v2-33/

1613798169958.png

Victron are very much open to the community and listen to their customers requests.

Cool graph, reminds me of what my Schneider screens looked like and yes, I have an SCP, but thank you.

Jen

Last edited:

Jen
Here's another good read.... https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/356401/conext-sw4024-battery-bank-question

Jen

battery reconfigured . CHECK
old inverter removed. CHECK
new inverter installed. CHECK
DC wires re-connected. CHECK
AC wires re-connected. CHECK
Voltage checks. CHECK
POWER ON inverter. CHECK
Inverter programmed with my parameters. CHECK

Back on battery running the house. Looking forward tomorrow to watch if more power is generated at 48v over 24v

New (to me) 5500 watt inverter, @48vdc
Upgraded from 4000 watt inverter, @24vdc

20210220_204029.jpg

Mild cover mis-alignment due to newer model inverter with older cover case

20210220_204034.jpg

Added a second 1" gray conduit in addition to existing one.
One on the left is POWER from GRID IN
One on the right is INVERTER POWER OUT to BYPASS switch and service panel

reason it is tilted is the mount hole is further to the left on the new inverter vs the old one. Didn't want to make a new hold in the trough for a simple mal-aligned conduit

Oh well

20210220_204041.jpg

Now I need to "think" in 48 volts and not 24 volts

battery reconfigured . CHECK
old inverter removed. CHECK
new inverter installed. CHECK
DC wires re-connected. CHECK
AC wires re-connected. CHECK
Voltage checks. CHECK
POWER ON inverter. CHECK
Inverter programmed with my parameters. CHECK
... and the best CHECK of all, the one you get from UPS to cover the damage to the inverter.. glad its still working.

Jen

... and the best CHECK of all, the one you get from UPS to cover the damage to the inverter.. glad its still working.

Jen
since it is working, not going to bother. The cosmetic damage I straightened with a vise-grip and I reused the POS cover from my existing one.

All looks good. Will wait for a few days, but I think it will be okay. Then again, maybe I will check into it

dougbert
in Exile

Well, the old 24v configuration was definitely restricting/throttling production

Not even max production time of the day (12:30 to 1PM) and Production is hitting 6000watts.
Max peak before briefly touched 5600watts

Array 2 output is 1740watts - 35.5 amps at 48v, or could have been 71 amps @24v if the controller hadn't throttled at 60 amps
Array 3 output is 1877watts - 37.4 amps at 48v

nice

Looking back on power generation today, we hit a 121.5 amps @ 48v, incoming from the 4 arrays
That converts to 243 amps @ 24v,

yet the highest current flow before the voltage change, was 221 amps @ 24v, which is a gain of 530 watts of more power

Definitely a great gain by switching to the higher voltage, and avoiding the charge controller OVER CURRENT limiter

Last edited:
Back