diy solar

diy solar

Source for studs for Eve 280 AH cells?

apctjb

Solar Enthusiast
Ordered some replacement cells for my battery bank and the new EVE 280 cells I received have studs rather than treaded insert. Thinking I will add studs to my existing cells so all are the same.

Can anyone point me to a good source for studs that work with the EVE treaded post (6mm)

Thx

I remember using 12mm cap screws so was thinking 20mm, but no harm in longer I guess.

McMaster-Carr has lots of metric grub screws, that’s where I got mine.

Andy on Off-grid Garage has repaired several stripped-out cells by screwing a standard 1/4" NC grub screw
Good suggestions. Are folks using any type of conductive anti seize ; like copper past of just putting them in dry?

I have welded studs, so it doesn't affect my cells but... Back when I was planning on getting threaded sockets, my plan was to use red Loc-Tite (permanent) when I inserted the grub screws the one and only time I intended to turn those screws. When compared to aluminum, stainless steel is a semi-conductor at best. It has quite high resistance for a metal part so almost all current is passed from the aluminum surface to the buss bars and not through the threaded screws. Every time you turn the screw, you potentially damage the threads so lock them and forget them.
I would use a crows-foot socket on the torque wrench so that I could hold the screw with an Allan wrench to hold it stationary when tightening.

I thought so (and still think so).

Red locktite (I believe) does not conduct electricity.

The silver epoxy is supposed to conduct electricity. The main amps will not be flowing up the studs - but I figured every bit can help.

But also I liked the epoxy nature of the product.

It was easy to use - I just used a toothpick to apply and I have not had any loosen up on me - 1-1/2 years in MotorHome.

837783FD-BC5B-4138-AAAF-177E6A4453FB.jpeg
EA7BDCA7-F6A0-4BC3-A675-A057986BA534.jpeg

Stainless steel has significantly more resistance than does the aluminum terminal or nickel covered copper buss bar so based on Ohms Law the stainless will carry very little current. If you doubt this, put a stainless-steel washer between the terminal and the buss bar and check the heat buildup.

Torque the studs, and they're not coming loose. No loctite or other adhesive needed.

Stud material mostly irrelevant beyond galvanic corrosion concerns. Conductivity between the terminal face and ring terminal or bus bar is what matters.
What torque to you use on the welded studs?

Torque limited by the terminals. The particular Eve cells I had was 8Nm max. I torqued to 6Nm
Where did you get the torque spec? I have EVE 280k cells with the M6 welded studs with the smallish ≈10mm conctact area.

Back