diy solar

diy solar

SRNE 12kW IP65 HES and 10kW ASP

~$1890 (shipping included) . Ping me if your interested.
wait wasn't this unit like barely different, why is it so much more?
or did it have grid tie / backfeed capability where other one doesn't? guess that's a big difference if so

wait wasn't this unit like barely different, why is it so much more?
or did it have grid tie / backfeed capability where other one doesn't? guess that's a big difference if so
Yes, the HESP has grid tie / backfeed capability.. the ASP does not. Both are parallel models that you can run multiples of.

EDIT.. seems I'm wrong.. people are saying the ASP can backfeed.

Last edited:
The ASP has the ability to backfeed. Everyone keeps saying it doesn't but it does have backfeeding as an option.
Has anyone tried this?

Which grid is it able to backfeed to? Ie which grid support regulations can it be set to?

1547-2003?
1547-2018?
CA rule 21?
HECO 14H?
Etc

How do you set under/over voltage protection limits?
Under/over frequency protection limits?

Thats why i was asking the questions above. The asp says it can export, but doesn't seem to have all the grid protection settings that proper grid interactive inverters have .
I assume it must have some of those hardcoded in. I asked a few hours ago specifically on when ASP disconnects on min/max volt and freq. They said would get back tomorrow their time.

I'd probably be fine with those HESP defaults (not sure i understand the 45hz and 60hz on "Enter Service" screen but the low and high on "Grid Protection" screen seem fine

I assume it must have some of those hardcoded in. I asked a few hours ago specifically on when ASP disconnects on min/max volt and freq. They said would get back tomorrow their time.

I'd probably be fine with those HESP defaults (not sure i understand the 45hz and 60hz on "Enter Service" screen but the low and high on "Grid Protection" screen seem fine
The ASP ostensibly has 1741:

1722525116674.png
From what I understand, that should cover anti-islanding, which would be my only concern as far as grid connectivity. Loss of mains should open a relay.

I haven't asked the contact I'm working with, so if it would help, I will--I'm curious about the answer now I think about it -- you can connect an ASP to grid, but 1) there are no CTs (or place to connect them to an ASP that I've seen) and 2) I've been assuming AC-in is essentially unidirectional.

HESP model has numerous settings for Grid Connect that are not present on ASP View attachment 233064
View attachment 233061View attachment 233062View attachment 233063
so the HESP obviously fully designed for it, but the ASP has the option however it probably isn't compliant with.. for lack of better words "first world electricity grids"

So africa, lots of asia / south america and texas can use the ASP to backfeed but the rest of the world with working grids would probably need HESP

so the HESP obviously fully designed for it, but the ASP has the option however it probably isn't compliant with.. for lack of better words "first world electricity grids"

So africa, lots of asia / south america and texas can use the ASP to backfeed but the rest of the world with working grids would probably need HESP
I could throw the generator 400A transfer switch at my pole and cut the entire acreage completely off from grid. I could then feed back on the line from the shop to power the house. I will have 2 separate systems, both have off grid inverters but this gives me that option.

Well considering people have been net metering on the forum here with tp6048's before now I'm quite sure the asp can do the same thing much more elegantly regulation wise being so much newer. Point is it has an option for it. Can the hesp do it better? Probably, but saying the asp can't is an incorrect statement.

Yea pretty steep price increase for such minor change imo
It probably does some cool features for those into the net metering stuff though. The asp would be more of a grenade method of feeding being on or off with the hesp being a fine tuning tool at how to go about net metering with its ct's and all.

I personally want nothing to do with back feeding the grid it just seems wrong to say the asp can't do it when it clearly says it can.

Maybe that was the difference between it and the HESP
Briefly;
HESP 12kw hybrid, outdoor rated, color touchscreen, aluminum enclosure, built in circuit breakers, PV switch, arc fault, full grid compliance, export control, AC coupling, ~100lbs
ASP 10KW off grid, indoor rated, BW screen with buttons, steel enclosure, no arc fault, ~60lbs

oh outdoor rating is actually probably the biggest one, especially for china. A lot of the electronics parts are a few dollars.

outdoor requires a entire redesign of the system to get heat transferred to the external part of the chassis and then exhausted, etc

The ASP has to be using some sort of sensor to control export, maybe an internal CT?
1000011076.jpg
Anyone in central PA with a grid tie agreement want to hook up an ASF and test?

BW screen
Technically the bottom left corner for status and battery V is green. 😉

Briefly;
HESP 12kw hybrid, outdoor rated, color touchscreen, aluminum enclosure, built in circuit breakers, PV switch, arc fault, full grid compliance, export control, AC coupling, ~100lbs
ASP 10KW off grid, indoor rated, BW screen with buttons, steel enclosure, no arc fault, ~60lbs
I knew there were reasons I wanted the HESP instead of the ASP. I've just been waiting for them to be available on Amazon for so long now that I've forgotten all the details.

Thank you for the great summary.

diy solar

diy solar
Back