diy solar

diy solar

SS EG4 12V 400AH - Disappointing BMS

If anyone wants to see what the batteries looks like taken apart and the BMS being replaced, here are the details in my video i did for the camper:

The EG4 400AH 12V battery from Signature Solar is a beast at first glance. Its well put together but lacks the delivery you would expect with such a big battery. The documentation provided by Signature Solar shows a circuit breaker on the battery face. There isn't one on the battery they sent me. The same documentation talks about the bluetooth monitoring of the battery. Mine didn't come with bluetooth. Nobody at tech support mentions bluetooth, they just keep asking me to plug in the ethernet cable and connect it to my laptop. I have to rely on my Victron Shunt to give them any usage info. Despite these short comings and false statements I was so impressed by the build quality and @Will Prowse recommendation I decided to try it. It may look like a beast but performance is more like a pussy cat. Maximum discharge rate according to SS own specs is 200 amps, yet they throttle it with a wimpy 100 amp BMS. Really? Who does that. Its like getting a bottle of water with a pinhole to drink from. A 400ah battery that only has an output of 100amps.

I spent a week trying to figure out why my Victron Multi II 2x120 kept putting the battery into a fault. Finally I look at the specs an find out they used such a small BMS that if my inverter is at 50% capacity, it will put the battery into protect mode. Let me check the battery status using the bluetooth app, nevermind it didnt come with bluetooth.

I purchased from Signature Solar assuming a US based company would be "better" than dealing with someone offshore who just says return it, pay the shipping or buy another one. Here is the kicker, the solution provided by Signature Solar is return the battery (pay for shipping) and pay a restocking fee, or buy a second battery with a grossly undersized BMS at full retail and still be shy of what the inverter will handle.

Shame on me for not reading closer and assuming they would put a BMS that matched the substantial build of the battery. Shame on Signature Solar for not delivering the battery they advertised with a front mounted breaker, and built in bluetooth app. It took Dustin in support days to come to the realization that their battery can't perform to a reasonable expectation. They have no interest in helping make this right, so back it goes and my rating is POS.
This is almost the same as I am going through right now. I certainly hope they are able (in addition to willing (sometimes the buyers expect competency (why would we do that? ))) to remedy the problem. They asked for gobs of pictures and told me they are backed up and training more people to handle support ... that's what I need a new "know it all" ... and policy pushers rather than actual support and warranty. With all the high tech computers etc. why are they not updating the web/data exposure and such. Now they say they just picked up with using Victron and I sure hope V knows what they are getting into. Poor service and not being willing and quickly solve their problem product ... shows they are not confident in their product, know they have a problem an spin lies for profit or ... just will go belly up and not have the good integrity to make things good... one last point, it seems there are a lot of problems with the EG4 racks and more than I was aware. I could have spend money and been more patient and have had much more capacity (and control and monitoring ability) and learn to build my own ....................................

Now they say they just picked up with using Victron and I sure hope V knows what they are getting into.
They just keep on throwing out new items hoping that one sticks.
I have no idea why anyone would go to SS when they can get a Victron at Current Connected!
Anyway maybe a lot of people think differently then me because they get a MPP with a fancy paimt job from them and the complain about the service when they could have bought one at Watts247 who offers great service.

This is almost the same as I am going through right now. I certainly hope they are able (in addition to willing (sometimes the buyers expect competency (why would we do that? ))) to remedy the problem. They asked for gobs of pictures and told me they are backed up and training more people to handle support ... that's what I need a new "know it all" ... and policy pushers rather than actual support and warranty. With all the high tech computers etc. why are they not updating the web/data exposure and such. Now they say they just picked up with using Victron and I sure hope V knows what they are getting into. Poor service and not being willing and quickly solve their problem product ... shows they are not confident in their product, know they have a problem an spin lies for profit or ... just will go belly up and not have the good integrity to make things good... one last point, it seems there are a lot of problems with the EG4 racks and more than I was aware. I could have spend money and been more patient and have had much more capacity (and control and monitoring ability) and learn to build my own ....................................
I'm sorry to hear that things have been slow going with the tech team. Would you mind sharing your email address with me in a PM so I can look into it for you?

They just keep on throwing out new items hoping that one sticks.
I have no idea why anyone would go to SS when they can get a Victron at Current Connected!
Anyway maybe a lot of people think differently then me because they get a MPP with a fancy paimt job from them and the complain about the service when they could have bought one at Watts247 who offers great service.
Victron what, batteries?
SS has very competitive prices on Victron components, I have not seen any lower, most Victron sellers I’ve seen sell at full pop msrp.
Apparantly there are some cs issues at SS, but it does appear they’re taking steps to improve that but yeah unfortunately that takes time to ramp up. It’d be tough running that kind of business, and getting dependable, quality, conscientious employees that actually care in todays marketplace.

Victron what, batteries?
SS has very competitive prices on Victron components, I have not seen any lower, most Victron sellers I’ve seen sell at full pop msrp.
Apparantly there are some cs issues at SS, but it does appear they’re taking steps to improve that but yeah unfortunately that takes time to ramp up. It’d be tough running that kind of business, and getting dependable, quality, conscientious employees that actually care in todays marketplace.
Current Connected sells Victron Inverters.
I would rather pay a few dollars more and know I can pick up the phone and get service rather than wait for SS to get their act together. It's not like this has been a recent issue, it's been going on for the last 12 months and if you cannot get Ben to help you then your SOL on phone hell waiting to get people who typically have no clue as to what they are doing.

Last edited:
Current Connected sells Victron Inverters.
I would rather pay a few dollars more and know I can pick up the phone and get service ratherthan wait for SS to get their act together. It's not like this has been a recent issue, it's been going on for the last 12 months and if you cannot get Ben to help you then your SOL on phone hell waiting to get people who have no clue as to what they are doing.
I get the frustration about cs issues wherever they may be.
It’s also much more than a few dollars, at least it is to me.

That said I just checked and it looks like they raised the prices.
Maybe it was just holiday specials I saw. Like $1050, vs $1355 for a Multiplus 12/3000 inverter.
Oh well.

I get the frustration about cs issues wherever they may be.
It’s also much more than a few dollars, at least it is to me.

That said I just checked and it looks like they raised the prices.
Maybe it was just holiday specials I saw. Like $1050, vs $1355 for a Multiplus 12/3000 inverter.
Oh well.
Excellent example! Many shop by price only, even $4 will move the decision. I don't understand those people, but most consumers aren't active on this forum.

Current price at Signature Solar $1424.60 $1388.05
Current price at Current Connected $1388.05, includes "custom programming" which I think just means they do all the settings for your system.

Oops, here's the correct link for the multiplus (not 2)

Last edited:
Excellent example! Many shop by price only, even $4 will move the decision. I don't understand those people, but most consumers aren't active on this forum.

Current price at Signature Solar $1424.60
Current price at Current Connected $1388.05, includes "custom programming" which I think just means they do all the settings for your system.

You compared 2 different models…

I went to the Websites and they are both showing $1388.05.
SS is claiming the MSRP is normally $1764 while CC is saying the MSRP is $1633.
In anycase there is no savings, but I would gladly pay a bit more for Customer Support.
Right. Prices were significantly lower at SS over the holidays as I wrote earlier.

The Multiplus 12/3000 inverter was around $1050 iircc, then went to around $1150. I thought I had a screenshot of it but must’ve deleted it. I’m guessing a competitor(s) whined to Victron, pressure was applied, and now they’re all pretty much the same prices across the board just like before. Wonderful.
So much for free market (if my guess is correct).
I should’ve clicked buy back then- but wasn’t ready for it yet and needed the cash elsewhere.

Maybe this spring, and I’m eying the EG4 solar mini split @Will Prowse reviewed recently as well.

Last edited:
Somehow ended up making a duplicate post. ??‍♂️ I don’t see a way to delete posts which would sure be useful.
Thankfully there’s an edit function.
So now there’s this.??‍♂️

Last edited:
Back