diy solar

diy solar

Storm power outage!

pvdude

Solar Enthusiast
I was in the workshop during a storm this afternoon.
(separate building from the house)
Heard the inverter relays clack.
Otherwise, I would not have known the grid was down, as most things in the workshop are powered from the solar equipment, which had switched from grid to battery.
Wind had knocked down some trees & power lines in the area.
Yard had some big limbs down, but no damage to the PV panels!
So we are on generator now, saving the batteries to power the house overnight, unless the grid comes back up.

I was in the workshop during a storm this afternoon.
(separate building from the house)
Heard the inverter relays clack.
Otherwise, I would not have known the grid was down, as most things in the workshop are powered from the solar equipment, which had switched from grid to battery.
Wind had knocked down some trees & power lines in the area.
Yard had some big limbs down, but no damage to the PV panels!
So we are on generator now, saving the batteries to power the house overnight, unless the grid comes back up.
@pvdude This is why I’m getting the XW Pro and appreciate your input in the other threads. Big loads, no issues. Just keep going.

We had a big storm on Thursday we were camping the wind knocked a large poplar tree down on our on our camper smashing 3 solar panels and punching five holes through the roof decking. On the trailer. I was in the trailer when it happened and I thought the tree was going to go through the trailer roof but it didn’t partly because of the additional strength from the solar panels and their fairly hefty bracket system. I was able to remove the smashed panels and rewire the existing ones we were back in business with 2/3rds of our array still working The power was out for everyone in our area and most find not get power back for 24 hours. We had no interruption in power in spite of the damage and are still camping.

Back