diy solar

diy solar

Sungoldpower 5kW-48V all-in-one,120V AC output, 500voc solar for $720 w/free shipping!! Any good?

Hey aussiesam, could you please share that video with me if you can find it? I'd like to know if there's anything else he comments on with his testing like power saving/search mode.

My sungold AIO has settings for both UPS/APP mode, and power saving search mode on/off. I'm really curious now what combination can get as low as possible.

I have a shunt that I think I have to install to get any kind of decent reading on it tho. I thought the jbd BMS would give me an accurate reading across its mosfets but it doesn't seem to be reliable, and my clamp on just says 1 amp DC no matter what I do on the idle draw.

Finding that video is going to be a challenge as I've watched hundreds of them and it was a video on youtube, I will try and will update if I find it. But if at all possible, would be great if people who own these inverters that draw upwards of 100watt idle power could try running it in appliance or UPS mode and see if the idle power draw changes significantly in one or the other configuration and share their findings. If I remember correctly, it was in the UPS mode that he got the lowest idle power consumption. Will do my best to try to find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpd
Hey aussiesam, could you please share that video with me if you can find it? I'd like to know if there's anything else he comments on with his testing like power saving/search mode.

I think I found it, or one similar with EG4 inverters. More testing is needed for us to see if there is something here that can help reduce idle power consumption.

At the end of the video, he shares a comment from one of his viewers suggesting that the DC converter is causing this extra power draw

Reactions: dpd
That idle draw that I was looking at was specifically the load being pulled from the battery when the inverter was in Grid Bypass mode on the EG4 6500. I was trying to get rid of the draw on the battery when in Grid Bypass mode but the DC to DC converter is always gonna be active and be powered from the battery in the event that the inverter has to switch back to battery mode.

I wasn’t able to do anything about the idle consumption. I believe I measured 84W idle consumption per inverter (which is higher than the manual notes). I recently started testing the Victron MultiPlus 2 5kVA inverters which have 15W idle consumption.

I put a Koolertron/Junctek shunt inline today, and it's telling me I have 55.7W idle draw on this Sungoldpower unit, while powered on.
It takes 5min or so to enter power saving mode, then it draws ~26.8W.
With the inverter/charger section switch off, there is a 5W draw for about 10 seconds, then no draw at all, 0W. This is faithful to what the techs told me at SGP, and it's not too bad relative to other AIOs.

I'm wondering if the best way to manage AIO idle draw after sundown, might be to keep a power pack handy for bedroom stuff. Plug the nocturnal stuff into the power pack, and keep its charging cord plugged in to top up in the day.

Phone charger, TV, wifi all stay alive on power pack battery. Then I have the peace of mind of phantom loads all being shut off with the mains, but I can still watch a movie and top up my devices. Without waking up to -1 kWh, just so my phone could get 50Wh of charge.

If it's a vehicle jump starter pack, then that's one way to trick myself into keeping it plugged in and regularly recharged. Yes it will cycle more and sometimes have less than 100%, but that's better than me forgetting it in the console for months of frozen winter!

That idle draw that I was looking at was specifically the load being pulled from the battery when the inverter was in Grid Bypass mode on the EG4 6500. I was trying to get rid of the draw on the battery when in Grid Bypass mode but the DC to DC converter is always gonna be active and be powered from the battery in the event that the inverter has to switch back to battery mode.

I wasn’t able to do anything about the idle consumption. I believe I measured 84W idle consumption per inverter (which is higher than the manual notes). I recently started testing the Victron MultiPlus 2 5kVA inverters which have 15W idle consumption.

Just FYI, I tried it on my Sungoldpower 5048, there was no visible change in idle draw flipping between UPS and APP modes.

How did you wire up your setup? Do you have any issues when running off PV with getting errant voltage on the ground leg of your RV?

Did you grab the wifi dongle as well? What batteries are you running?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply! I have had this unit up and running for a few weeks and it's fine. No problems or issues so far.
I think it's a good unit if you're looking for an affordable AIO, with 120V as your only need.

Nice suprise: the 2 cooling fans at the bottom of the unit are very quiet, and variable speed. They don't run at all until significant watts are inverting or charging.

I don't have a detailed reading on the idle power draw yet, but it's encouraging so far. In power saving mode, my JBD BMS does not register any draw at all, but I'm not sure how accurate the JBD is for low currents. I'll try the clamp-on and see what it reports.

I also received a detailed RS485/modbus doc from sungoldpower if anyone's interested...it might be a good cross reference to compare and see which Voltronic unit it's derived from.
I've been looking at getting this hybrid inverter. How has it been working out for you? And can I get a copy of the MODBUS Docs you have for it?

I've been looking at getting this hybrid inverter. How has it been working out for you? And can I get a copy of the MODBUS Docs you have for it?
Just for clarification. This is not a hybrid AIO, it's an off grid AIO. (It can not export to the grid)

Just for clarification. This is not a hybrid AIO, it's an off grid AIO. (It can not export to the grid)
I'm not wanting to export anyhow but right from the manual for model# SCH5048P

4、Hybrid output and grid connection(need to be abled) In the utility bypass state, when no battery is connected or when the battery is full, the load power is supplied by the PV and the utility together if the hybrid function is enabled, and the surplus PV energy is fed back to the grid if the grid connection function is enabled.

4、Hybrid output and grid connection(need to be abled) In the utility bypass state, when no battery is connected or when the battery is full, the load power is supplied by the PV and the utility together if the hybrid function is enabled, and the surplus PV energy is fed back to the grid if the grid connection function is enabled.
That inverter is more than likely made by SRNE and it's and HF series. The HYP is the newer single phase model.
I been running an SRNE ASF (sungold is re-labeling this as well) since late last year using the grid as a backup. I've left the export option disabled the entire time and I've had zero issues.
They will pull a small amount from the grid when it's connected in inverter mode.

They are using the word "hybrid" to describe the mixed output, in specific modes.
Not the type of unit it is.
But, I can see how confusing it can be.

Grid-tied,
Pushes all power to the grid and relies on the grid to function.

Off grid,
Stands on its own (with battery) without the grid.
But if available, the grid can charge batteries and be passed through to the loads.

Hybrid,
Is a combination of both above.

It has grid-tied (export) functionality?
If so, it actually is a hybrid. And I stand corrected.
I'm not certain on the one in question I didn't read the manual, I'm betting it does based of the wording in post 29.

According to the manual the ASF does but I have never enabled it because I don't have an interconnect... If my utility weren't so strict with approved inverters and didn't require DER management I would have already applied for one.
Snip of ASF attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-142520.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205-142520.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2
My interest is using the utility as a backup to it without exporting.
Like I said above (or maybe another thread) that's how I've been running my ASF, no issues with exporting that I've seen in SA or from my utility.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317-051633.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317-051633.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2
Back