diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Island 6048US - W351 (W352) - Disconnect from external source due to external short circuit

daklein

Anyone encountered this error, intermittently? W351 (W352) - Disconnect from external source due to external short circuit. The slave disconnected from the grid, and tried to reconnect repeatedly.

I'm using silent mode when connected to grid, off-peak based on SOC thresholds about 88-95. The main inverter FLA battery is normally kept floating full. After a cloudy day or two, the other AC coupled lithium batteries get low enough that it will connect to grid. I happened to notice being connected to the grid, while lithium batteries were not empty yet, noticed the relay clicking, then set the SOC thresholds to stay disconnected.

I'm not sure if the voltage drop is excessive from the house main grid panel, over the feed to the SI inverters, when they're charging the battery or passing through large loads to the house off-grid panels that the SIs feed. It's #6 copper about 80 feet. I've checked all the connections a few times. Some of the voltage drop is occurring before the grid panel (with the 3.7kw water heater element), and the rest is occurring on the way to the SIs. here's a system diagram. https://photos.app.goo.gl/HAmaaRnATvQqgFY39

I could check all the connections again. I have not checker breaker resistances, maybe there's one that's not so good. It's interesting that the L1 master has a little more voltage sag consistently, but the L2 slave is what tripped.

Lines in the plots:
Yellow is utility meter kW. There's a 3.7kw water heater element fed from the grid panel directly. The load that's 7-4kw 2min long, every 15min are the SIs charging the battery, dropping out of silent mode.
Red is kW load from the SI to the off-grid panels. The well pump is shown running for 2 minutes 6:29-6:31. I think the well pump turning off triggered the issue. The well is another ~100ft of #10. 30sec later, the grid water heater element turned off.

From the zoomed in plot, the L1 grid voltage drops even more. I think this is when the slave disconnected, at 6:31, and then the master is still charging the battery by itself.

Attachments

• 1678461846645.png
    1678461846645.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1678462678808.png
    1678462678808.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 1678462834419.png
    1678462834419.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 5
I did a somewhat methodical checking of resistances under load. I don't think I see any resistances
higher than expected for the wire size and lengths, plus smaller amounts for breakers.

1678548334014.png

also getting the same error code on my 5048, seems to be occurring when there is a utility power failure. Also intermittent tripping of the RCD in the protected loads panel when the utility power returns, I am sure the 2 issues (W351 and RCD tripping are linked somehow), investigations ongoing.

I don't think I've seen W351.
I have had F710 4 Autostart meter elapsed and F158 2 Voltage on output AC1
Both may have been related to grid failures
Previously had problem with an aged breaker which tripped prematurely. Replaced thermal-magnetic with magnetic-hydraulic.
Another time F605 4 Transfer relay does not open. SI and its relay was fine; I had closed breaker creating bonded fault on a different branch upstream.

Back