diy solar

diy solar

Super Beginner - Solar Gym

Peter LR

Hello everyone!

I've watched a bunch of videos on solar power, but I still consider myself to be at a very beginner level.

My wife and I just finished building a 12x20 lean to roof shed, that is insulated and will be used as a home gym. For starters, I'm looking to power the following:

1. Lights (3 LED shop lights)
2. Small TV (say 30" wall-mounted TV)
3. Fan (in summer time), small heater (in winter time)

Ultimately, I would like to have a treadmill in there for the wife (I'm not sure about amp usage for those).

I currently only have a Jupiter 3000W/6000W inverter, and I'm looking for some guidance on what to get to start my build.

Some of the questions I have are:

1. What type(s) of batteries should I look at?
2. How many should I get?
3. What size solar panel, would you suggest?

Any information would be super helpful, as I'm finalizing this step, so that we can get to using the space.

Thanks!
Peter

Hi! If you're talking about the lines from where I'm thinking of putting the solar panel, then probably only about 6 feet at the most.

If you're talking about what will be plugged into the inverter, then likely less (3 feet, roughly).

Make the treadmill work as a generator to power the lights and TV.

Interesting. We may not be getting the treadmill for a while. For the time being, based on powering up the other things I mention, how much juice do you think I'd need? The gym will only be used about 2 hours per day.

1. What type(s) of batteries should I look at?
2. How many should I get?
3. What size solar panel, would you suggest?
1. LiFePO4 batteries are what most people are using nowadays. Great batteries with a very long life of usability for solar. Low prices if you DIY a battery yourself. Check out the DIY battery section on this forum for up to date prices and where to buy from. It seems intimidating to build your own, but it's very easy with a little research. Will has a ton of videos on this topic as well. If you don't want to DIY, there are some very good options out there for a decent price. Check Will's videos and his web page for some already assembled options.

2. Depends on your energy audit and how many days of back up you may need, if any. Also will depend on if you're in Seattle or if you're in Phoenix. Check out how many hours of sunshine your particular location receives to help size your system correctly. https://diysolarforum.com/resources/system-energy-audit-and-sizing-spread-sheet.12/

3. The largest you can fit and handle safely. Typically the larger they are, the cheaper per watt they are. Check out www.santansolar.com for great prices. A lot of us on the forum use them for panels and they are great to work with. If you're building a small system, check Craigslist as the shipping cost for larger panels may be cost prohibitive if you're only getting 1 or 2.

Lastly, Victron makes great equipment if they are within your budget. Their Bluetooth app makes monitoring a breeze. A good place to order Victron equipment if through www.baymarinesupply.com

Last edited:
Hi! If you're talking about the lines from where I'm thinking of putting the solar panel
No. A 110v wall socket at the house to run an extension lead from.
The economics of solar do not stack up if mains is close.
A supplementary mains supply also makes solar so much more reliable and cheaper.

No. A 110v wall socket at the house to run an extension lead from.
The economics of solar do not stack up if mains is close.
A supplementary mains supply also makes solar so much more reliable and cheaper.
Oh, I see. It's about 65 feet. Pretty far.

Back