diy solar

diy solar

Surface for mounting panelboard, inverter, and batteries

poldim

I've got a bare (exposed) stud wall in the garage where I want to mount the electrical gear. I need something to span the studs so I was thinking of using 3/4 OSB. I've seen some others cover this with tile cement backerboard or drywall as a fire preventative. Is this recommended or is just OSB sufficient?

Using 3/4 OSB should suffice to cover the exposed stud wall in the garage and support the electrical equipment. However, if you're considering an extra measure of fire protection, cement backerboard or drywall could be good options. These materials are more fire-resistant and could provide an additional safety barrier. Ultimately, the choice depends on your preferences and the level of safety you wish to ensure.

Heavy ply, then cement board. At worst a $1-200 and lots of peace of mind.

My garage wall was already drywall on the studs. The studs in my garage are not evenly spaced. I was not able to span 2 studs with my inverter mount bracket. I tried to use a cement backer board, but it didn't hold the weight of the XW-Pro inverter. I may have been abl to get it to work with a bunch of toggle bolts through the cement board and drywall, but I hate having to blast huge holes for toggles.

I ended up using 3/4 inch 15 ply marine grade plywood. The stuff is super strong. And you can find it fire treated if required. It is what electricians recommended to me. They use it in power rooms where they have to mount switch gear and transformers on a wall. The plywood is screwed into 2 studs with over a dozen 3 inch decking screws with clearance holes in the plywood, and pilot holes in the studs. Then I used #12 wood screws with proper sized pilot holes and the inverter mount is solid as a rock. Three screws are 3 inches long and also go into one of the studs. A truck with a tow rope would probably take part of the wall with the inverter. It's not coming off the wall.

I've been wondering about this - e.g. plywood (or even drywall) as apposed to cement board (kind of thing) - as for my original install 6 yrs ago the electrician and city permit/inspection were OK with my 1st 2 x Midnite Classic 150s mounted vertically to plywood on top of a wiring trough also mounted to the plywood.

I'll be adding additional Midnite Classic 150s soon and I'm wondering if there's more recent NEC code or guidance on this or if its more of a common sense but optional extra safety measure.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back