diy solar

diy solar

Switch off controller when away?

JPSchmid

I currently run a very small PV system to mainly power led lights. Now in process of upgrading (30A Epever mppt, 360 W panels) , I was contemplating if there is merit in shutting down the larger system during long periods of absence and switching over to the old small system to trickle charge while I am away. The cabin is only visited on typically one weekend a month. The larger system woul provide power while I'm there but be off to hopefully save the system and extend the lifetime.

In short the question is: is it better to run a system continuously or save it by switching off during times of absence?

It depends on your Battery Type. If your running FLA or AGM then keeping them fully topped up is no issue and in fact you should leave the SCC on to keep them topped off. If your running with LFP then keeping them at 100% isn't good, they are best sitting at 80% SOC for storage, some even recommend lower for long term storage. If you have Lithium ION that can stay at full charge but not in overcharge. FLA & AGM can take charge below freezing temps while you cannot charge LFP below freezing point. Of course things like an Inverter can be shutoff if you don't have anything that needs to keep running which effectively stops all drain on the batteries.

Thanks for the reply. Batteries are AGMs and should keep their charge well as nothing draws power when I'm away. My concern was more the electronics in MPPT and even if there is merit in covering the panels for everything to last as long as possible. I could just parallel the old 50W system and shut down the new larger one. Maybe a bit pedantic, but seems safer to have as little as possible energy going into the system when no one is home.

Back