diy solar

diy solar

Temporary ground mount ideas?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
I need some temporary ground mount ideas... I need to be able to put some panels on the ground temporarily, but be able to move them at a moment's notice with very little help...

Or I would be open to the idea of a permanently mounted solution providing it could be done in a way that only takes up a small amount of ground space... So probably two or three posts on the ground in a line similar to how you might build a fence... But nothing further back

Between 8 and 12, 250 watt panels from San tan Solar... The refurb polycrystalline units

I need some temporary ground mount ideas...
need to be able to put some panels on the ground temporarily,
but be able to move them at a moment's notice with very little help...

I was recently looking at this video using some Ballasted Ground Mounts, and also PowerRack providing an easy to move structural base for solar panels.
You can put some concete blocks inside the ballast, as required from the wind conditions that you get exposed.
And when you need to remove the solar panels, you can empty the ballasts, and pile them up on top of each other.

How to install PowerRack ground mount solar panel racks

Corigy Ballasted Ground Mount - Install on my house

Last edited:
What do you mean by move? Like drag them 20 feet, or disassemble to bring to a new property?

I use the ecoworthy mounts with concrete footers I buy at the hardware store. I can unbolt the footers anytime I need to move the rack and sit it off the footers. Then I move the footers to where I want the rack and then sit the rack back on the footers and bolt it back to them.

rackwithfootersmall.jpg

ecoworthyrack20230810_173715small.jpg

I used some 2x4 and screwed 1foot legs to them to give about 20 degree angle. I rested the other end of the panels on scrap 2x4 just to keep them off the ground. I used big washers and screws to hold the panels down to the top rail.
It's totally shit but does the job temporary.

I was recently looking at this video using some Ballasted Ground Mounts, and also PowerRack providing an easy to move structural base for solar panels.
You can put some concete blocks inside the ballast, as required from the wind conditions that you get exposed.
And when you need to remove the solar panels, you can empty the ballasts, and pile them up on top of each other.

How to install PowerRack ground mount solar panel racks

Corigy Ballasted Ground Mount - Install on my house

Thanks for the referral. And @ericfx1984, SanTan Solar has some PowerRacks in stock if you live near enough to go check them out in person. Give them a call, or contact us directly with any questions. sales@powerfieldenergy.com. 888-788-8007.

Pavers to raise the bottom.
Leaning on a 2x4 attached to the fence.
2½ stainless lag screws with washers to tack in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20221113_153845790.jpg
    IMG_20221113_153845790.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 25
I've got a few on brightmounts, mounted to 10' pallets I can move with my tractor and forks

Can you give a web link for the concrete footers.
Do you know their weight.
Thank you.

I did something similar - I bought the slotted looking pier block, 60lbs weight.

Bonus: the slotted top of each block is the absolute perfect width for some high profile super strut which can be secured with concrete anchors or landscape construction adhesive.

Can you give a web link for the concrete footers.
Do you know their weight.
Thank you.
The ones posted in the above post with the cross cuts are basically the same as what I used and they weigh about 50 to 60 lbs each. Its not going anywhere on its own :)

The slots made into them are ideal for strut bars but the footers on the ecoworthy rack don't match up since the slots are not large enough. I solved this by flipping them over and drilling holes in the bottom of the footers. So the cross cut part is the bottom and the bottom becomes the top. Worked great. I would of used the slots if I had the rails to go into the grooves.

diy solar

diy solar
Back