diy solar

diy solar

Texas grid close to edge tonight ?

Funny how people have different views. This was just posted on another forum I frequent.

"We are at it again......
At least the powerless company is. Last night about 10pm a thunder storm went through and to no ones surprise the power went down. Here we go again. Last time it was 8 days. This time who knows. Along with our roads here in Michigan our power companies are the worst in the country."

Ah yes.. I was speaking in the context of bureaucratic stuff.. Like putting in solar, or wanting to be off-grid.

We've had some power issues due to the storms. Storms here in Michigan are not only getting more frequent, they're getting stronger. Our grid wasn't designed to withstand close to hurricane strength winds. Back in the 60's and 70's, these 60 to 90 mph storms were super rare, now they seem to happen three to five times a year.

So your other poster reference wasn't lying.... but wasn't entirely accurate either. While power outages have become more common, its not like our grid here is considered unreliable.. Part of the problem is that the average person complains more when they're without power. Some of these people think 4 hours is a life changing event..

So the attitude you're getting is a combination of (more frequent storms = more frequent outages) + ( unprepared snowflakes who can't live for an afternoon without charging their electronic toys)

Some of these people think 4 hours is a life changing event..
It is for some, which is why every power distributor and retailer here is required by law to validate whether any residence relies on life support equipment so they can take steps to ensure continuity of supply for that customer.

It is for some, which is why every power distributor and retailer here is required by law to validate whether any residence relies on life support equipment so they can take steps to ensure continuity of supply for that customer.
While I understand special circumstances for life support, that's not what I'm referring to...

It does stand to reason that if one's life support equipment requires power, then continuity of that power would be important. I am a bit surprised that they put that responsibility on the power company and not the person however. Surprised doesn't mean objection, just surprised. Electricity is not a constitutional right and the power company can't control weather events.

It does stand to reason that if one's life support equipment requires power, then continuity of that power would be important. I am a bit surprised that they put that responsibility on the power company and not the person however. Surprised doesn't mean objection, just surprised. Electricity is not a constitutional right and the power company can't control weather events.
Different societies place value on different things. As a way to help ensure those most vulnerable to power outages are OK, having a system in place to check on such requirements when a customer signs up or changes their retailer or address is a reasonable way to capture such instances.

It does not mean the power company pays for or is responsible for the in-home solution, only that they are obliged to assist the customer understand their options, what support is available to them and how to take appropriate measures, or at least have a strategy in place to ensure their safety should an unplanned outage occur.

They also provide advanced notice of planned outages to such customers and to help with advice on what they might need to do, or it might just mean some power company prioritisation on a return to service if a nominated residence is unduly affected by an outage.

In addition there are various govt support programs which can assist such people with the costs of life support equipment and enabling coverage during outages. e.g. if you require Home Dialysis then in my state you are eligible for a $1.54/day govt funded rebate off your electricity bills, which is administered by the retailer (after an appropriate application process is completed). Similar support exists for a range of different life support equipment.

Most such life support equipment comes with a form of battery power/UPS, or one can be added. This is on the customer, not the power company but the support helps them be aware and to offset some of the costs.

Here's an example from one local retailer about Life Support equipment:

That's long enough for the ice cream in the freezer to melt if you don't have backup. ?

Depends where the freezer is and if its full or not. Who keeps an empty freezer? That's a great way to shorten the life of the freezer and waste a lot of energy.

Our basement freezer would not even come close to defrosting or melting ice cream in 4 hours.. or even 24 hours.

But I suppose the one in the garage would be a different story on a 90 degree day..

That's long enough for the ice cream in the freezer to melt if you don't have backup. ?
Its also longer than any normal ups will run. So 4 hours = generator cranking time for me since I have to keep the servers running here and the ac.

I keep wireless temperature gauges inside my freezers/fridges that report to a unit mounted on main fridge, so I can watch the temperatures without having to open them or be near them, and have alarms sound if they go over my minimum desired temps.

My chest freezer inside the house, sure, it will hold temp for a bit. It also only uses 50watts when running and will run off a Bluetti EB3A for quite a bit of time.

But who keeps ice cream in a chest freezer? Ice cream is kept in a fridge/freezer in the kitchen.. a side by side.. it loses temp fast, stupidly fast in comparison. It uses 100 watts when running and requires something bigger than the Bluetti to start and run.

My house will hit 90 degrees inside pretty fast without power. Texas is no joke in the summer.
Yup, I noticed on the hot days here in Michigan that the garage freezer runs a lot.

I keep them packed full.. Each time there's a bit of empty space, we stick a 2 liter bottle of water in there.

every new EV is like adding a home
Not quite. depends on the home and how much you drive. It can also be charged off peak for most folks. I burn around 80kwh/week to charge my 2 cars, that represents around 350mi/week. That's 250 odd KWH/month. In July I burned 3200KWH - 250 = 2900KWH so 2 EV's are less than 1/10th of a house. On a yearly average maybe 1 EV = 1/10th of a house, so Every 10 EV's is like adding a home. EV's are drastically more efficient than ICE, hybrid helps tremendously, but at some level you are simply moving the energy requirement from one source to another. The extra 15K you pay for an EV will buy a ton of fuel even at $5/gal.

This is where I actually see it as a disadvantage. IMO the only way to get your money out of a vehicle (any vehicle) is to put a lot of miles on it bringing your actual cost per mile down. An EV that costs $60K and only gets driven 2K miles a year is a very bad investment. Then on the flip side, if you do drive a lot, an EV is also a bad investment if it can not get the range and have the charging speed of filling up with gas. That is why it should be left to the market to decide who wants/needs one.
RE: Driving close to home.

IMNSHO, you'd kinda be wrong. EV's are the ultimate commuter vehicle. Not nearly so great on long trips. I have a 20mi one way daily commute, 4 days a week, roughly 160mi/week. I only charge once a week, before at night, now with Solar I'm struggling because I need to charge between 1000-1600, but I'm figuring it out. If you are not trying to solar charge, and using TOU, it's a no brainer for any vehicle that's in use as a daily trip out and back, because you simply plug it in upon return, unplug and leave with a full-tank every morning. Mail trucks, local delivery vans, most route vehicles, that drive less than 300 miles a day. The average urban mail truck drives < 50 miles/day.

EV's have their issues, but not really the high profile ones, like burning batteries. This never happens to an ICE vehicle, except when it does. The traffic guys calling out a car-b-que, but it will not make the front page. I can guarantee you your EV will not overheat and blow a radiator hose climbing up a steep grade in the 115F heat here in AZ heading up to the mountains with the A/C running full blast. You will never need an oil change. Unless you drive the wheels off you probably won't ever replace the brakes. Since all the components are independent and electric you will never be stranded by a broken serpentine belt, seized water pump, seized A/C clutch, broken alternator, broken fuel line, bad fuel pump, ... back in the day, a broken clutch cable, snapped u joint.

All that being said. Todays ICE vehicles are stunningly reliable for the most part if you give them a modicum of maintenance. They are mostly quiet, they really don't pollute very much even less with a hybrid. And the $15K cost difference will buy an awful lot of fuel. I don't think anyone should be mandating EV cars. Where they make good sense, and as the production costs go down and technology improves they will gradually take over a big chunk of those markets as fleets rotate because they are better. No government should be subsidizing or forcing any of it. This will give the Electric infrastructure a chance to grow to meet the demand without being disruptive.

If only the average customer would care, early adopters? Sure they care, but don’t under estimate the stupidity/ignorance of the average person
Most folks willing to go EV are pretty conscious of TOU. Those who aren't generally get rid of them. What we really need is better charge control to take advantage of solar.

Not quite. depends on the home and how much you drive.
Based on our driven km per year (10,000 - 12,000km) and the typical kWh/km consumption of an EV, adding an EV to our home would increase our home's total electrical energy consumption by about 13%. Most of that would be self supplied by our solar PV.

That's fewer km than the average driven in Australia (but not by much) and our household consumption is a little higher than average, so in general it might add 15-20% to a home's total energy consumption. IOW every 5-7 EVs = one home.

The grid has ample energy capacity provided the relevant carrot and stick is in place to minimise charging during the peak demand window. It's a relatively trivial problem to solve.

The grid has ample energy capacity provided the relevant carrot and stick is in place to minimise charging during the peak demand window. It's a relatively trivial problem to solve.

Someone has not been reading this thread. Shifting charging times (when even possible) does not solve the problem of not having enough capacity to handle growth (houses, comapanies, and EVs). Of the 22M vehicles registered in Texas, only about 150K are EVs. That is significantly less than one percent. Without more capacity, EVs could break the grid regardless of when you charge them (if they actually became popular to the masses).

Yup, I noticed on the hot days here in Michigan that the garage freezer runs a lot.

I keep them packed full.. Each time there's a bit of empty space, we stick a 2 liter bottle of water in there.
I did that for a while, but then ended up with nothing but frozen water in my freezers. I got tired of having to remove frozen water and put it somewhere it could thaw out without making a mess everytime I needed to put something in my freezer.

My own plug in Prius use is to just plug it in when I get home, EVEN THOUGH, when I leave I will drive down a 1200' grade every day. It has occurred to me that I could just partially charge it, and let it top itself off on that descent, but I don't bother as I have a surplus of energy anyway. I should say the biggest "problem" in driving a Prius is immediately getting labeled as one who is "trying to save the earth" or something, I drive it because it's a damn good car that saves me a lot of money, and that's not theoretical. If my 1 ton Silverado flat bed could do the same I'd drive it more! I drive the Prius every day to my crane yard, and then I get 5 mpg at most the rest of the day!

Someone has not been reading this thread. Shifting charging times (when even possible) does not solve the problem of not having enough capacity to handle growth (houses, comapanies, and EVs). Of the 22M vehicles registered in Texas, only about 150K are EVs. That is significantly less than one percent. Without more capacity, EVs could break the grid regardless of when you charge them (if they actually became popular to the masses).
Texas needs to stop growing, period. It has no water. It needs to accept the new reality and stop encouraging non stop growth until all the aquifers and lakes are recharged.

Back