diy solar

diy solar

Thanks,Dad, For Teaching Me to DIY Stuff

Madcodger

Solar Addict
I was speaking with a guy I sorta/kinda know at a local watering hole this evening, and he was crying into his beer that he had just spent $1700 on a 50 gallon hot water heater. I said, "Well, at least you'll get a good-sized rebate and tax credit for it being a heat pump type." IT WASN'T! This poor schmo had been charged $1700 to yank out and replace a plain Jane, no frills, $600-with-no-discount basic 50-gallon electric hot water heater, by a local plumber.

I've owned more than ten houses, and I can't remember ever paying someone to change out a hot water heater. Hot line, cold line, quick electrical connection, done before your coffee's cold.

Anyway... I tell people I did my own solar system and am planning another one for another house, and you'd think I'd told them I replaced my own kidney. Are people really becoming that fragile and dependent?? Thank goodness I had a Dad who taught me to work with my hands, even as he pushed "book-based" education. I don't know how some of these folks survive, having never learned basic home repair. Thank goodness for forums like this. The technical knowledge sharing is great, but I think that engaging with people who aren't afraid to do some things for themselves is at least as rewarding as the knowledge.

Its not even just house maintenance and such.... They cant even learn how to cook in order to save money!! The under 30 crowed is totally F'd
35 here, I'm glad I mad the cut.
I'm the fixer among my group of friends, but a couple others have some excellent skills. We've done everything from bathroom remodels to building swing sets and breaking plenty of things along the way, fixing them of course. It's great working with someone who knows what you're thinking and is already in motion throwing that next joist to you or opening the cooler 😂.
I'll never forget, years ago, when I told one of my best friends to hand me a phillips head and he asked if that wad the flat one or the cross... He's came a long way.
Haven't tackled a water heater yet but I'm completely confident it'll be one of the easier plumbing projects I've done. Out of rebedding the water softener, replacing the pressure tank, upgrading the filter system, adding an outdoor hose bib through a concrete wall, copper pipe and cpcv; the septic pump was definitely the shittiest.
If it weren't for hovering over my Dad's shoulder growing up along with helping my Pop-Pop I'd be lost; the shop classes I took in high-school were invaluable as well.
It blows my mind how inadequate the skills of some homeowners are.

I guess both my parents fostered the idea of DIY. Either build it, repair it, cook it or bandage it (some one after the other) was a feature of life. And it did not stop with them but to this day I find learning experiences everywhere like from some of the folks here at this Forum. You grow up being self reliant and it is hard to think there can be any other way.

Thanks Dad for giving me work ethic and not just millions of dollars 🙄 so much better 🤣
I tend to agree with you …..BUT , if I had the chance I would have asked for a decent level of skills and just a couple of million….. 🤣

we’re to poor at first to ever hire anyone for anything….we had to learn to do about everything if wanted to have anything..
It paid off big time … dad lasted long enough to see the results of his efforts in teaching me how to do stuff….how to think ...that resulted in me having things he only could have dreamed of.
That made me happy…

But I still think he was a far better man than me.

My dad was a mechanic and my happiest childhood memories are of “helping” him. He was the king of make do with what you have, and paying someone else to fix something was unheard of. Anything broken can be fixed. I tried to pass it on to my son but he has no interest. The younger generation who I call “The help desk generation” seems unable to function without having someone else to tell them what to do.

I remember when my "tech" buddy actually pulled me aside to show me all the cool stuff to learn when you tube first took off. I was shocked!
I thought every man knew what I did. Dad had me handing him wrenches and parts at 8, swinging a hammer at 10 and swinging from trusses by 12. if it needed to be done he did it with me as his assistant.
I did a fare amount of grumbling in those years as the job got done before I could go off and play with my friends, but I am thankful to this day for what I know because of it.

Electric water heaters are stupid easy. Gas is only slightly harder.
I dunno 'bout that
3-4 electrical connections and a gland right?
With gas, it's one thread on fitting (2 if you do it by the book and replace the line) and a squirt bottle of soapy water to make sure it's sealed...

I dunno 'bout that
3-4 electrical connections and a gland right?
With gas, it's one thread on fitting (2 if you do it by the book and replace the line) and a squirt bottle of soapy water to make sure it's sealed...
You forgot the vent!

My neighbor and his wife are mid-late 20’s. He’s working in process control at a paper mill, programs eps32 projects, does solar with me, flies fixed wing and helicopters and is a tig welder. Handy guy to have around. Not the normal 20-something.

My dad was a mechanic and my happiest childhood memories are of “helping” him. He was the king of make do with what you have, and paying someone else to fix something was unheard of. Anything broken can be fixed. I tried to pass it on to my son but he has no interest.

My dad was a farmer and did everything needed doing. I wasn't always keen to help but so thankful he made me help as I learned a lot and can tackle anything now too. I've recognised for years that he's who I got my work ethic from.

I'm still trying to teach my 10 year old son similar skills but not terribly successful yet. Maybe I have to push it more ... that's how I learned mine.

I remember when my "tech" buddy actually pulled me aside to show me all the cool stuff to learn when you tube first took off.

Many years before YouTube I asked in the local Blockbuster if they had any technical videos ... I wanted to learn stuff ... anything mechanical or technical. They looked at me like I had two heads. 😁 What's available online now is truly astounding.

My dad was a baker, so I did lots of baking and confectionery during school holidays.

But.

He was also a keen DIYer, mostly woodwork but he did electrics too. I was 10 when he trusted me with a power-saw!!

I dabbled with hobby electronics (early 70s anything with more than 3 legs was black-magic) and I managed to get on an RN Technician Apprenticeship.

So, I'm an engineer who can cook, could explain why my wife keeps me around :)

The rest is history.

Back