diy solar

diy solar

The Effect of Competition: Sol-Ark 15K down to $7K

kdub23

My 15K just got me through a 6+ day outage without fuss. Looks like new (permanent?) pricing for those already having a hard time deciding between the 15K and 18kPV.

My 15K just got me through a 6+ day outage without fuss. Looks like new (permanent?) pricing for those already having a hard time deciding between the 15K and 18kPV.
If you Already have a 15k why would you consider anything else?

Yeah, not me. My die is (happily) cast. Have a couple friends though struggling between the two.
I've been thinking of one 15K for a primary array, and then a less expensive option for a secondary one, but this may tip me to just a pair of 15K's.

I presume that is MSRP? Don't remember what it was in 2022 but I got mine in December 2022 from a local supplier for less than that with no freight.

Does anyone have a good comparison summary that highlights the advantages of one vs the other?

...and if you're not in a hurry looks like the basic 15k will be coming down to $6k in the future, studying these prices..9F3BD12F-4209-465C-A31A-C39509F6B555.png

Why do you think that?
Based purely on the percentages all the OTHER Sol Ark equipment fell in price. You're certainly someone who might have product knowledge of why that might NOT happen with the 15k???

Undoubtedly their most popular unit, so I assumed they didn't drop as much yet...until you guys hammer them more with the 18k PV lol ?

Does anyone have a good comparison summary that highlights the advantages of one vs the other?
I'll cover price and input/output.

The Sol-Ark 12K is same output (12Kw) as the EG4 18KPV and the difference is input Kw is 13Kw on the Sol-Ark 12K and of course the EG4 is 18Kw input.

The Sol-Ark 12K is $300 cheaper than the EG4, about the price of a auxiliary SCC.

The Sol-Ark 15K is about $1250 higher, 19.5Kw input and 15Kw output.

Based purely on the percentages all the OTHER Sol Ark equipment fell in price. You're certainly someone who might have product knowledge of why that might NOT happen with the 15k???

Undoubtedly their most popular unit, so I assumed they didn't drop as much yet...until you guys hammer them more with the 18k PV lol ?

The 12K is really the outlier. The 15K is pretty well in line with the 5K. 8K is a little more. But the 12K is pretty much obsolete now due to the 15K. So I don't see the 15K really coming down soon. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll be in the market for a couple of them probably in the Fall.

The 12K is really the outlier. The 15K is pretty well in line with the 5K. 8K is a little more. But the 12K is pretty much obsolete now due to the 15K. So I don't see the 15K really coming down soon. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll be in the market for a couple of them probably in the Fall.
I kind of agree with you.

Have to see how that shakes out.

What about when the 18k PV starts going on super special?? Probably be awhile??

But anyway this is what I saw on prices (ignore 5k not really the same product tier), making 15k an outlier..? :) :LOL:

9F3BD12F-4209-465C-A31A-C39509F6B555.png

What about when the 18k PV starts going on super special?? Probably be awhile??

But anyway this is what I saw on prices (ignore 5k not really the same product tier), making 15k an outlier..? :) :LOL:

View attachment 155264
I thinks he’s right.

For $1000 difference between the 12 and 15k isnt that much.

The 15k is bigger, can do everything the 12k can plus has 3 MPPT channels, easier to work on (in my opinion).

Be interesting to see how it turns out.

Is it really competition though? Sol-Ark has not has a price change in years while other companies, Victron included, have been lowering their MSRP constantly over the same period of time.

I credit Sol-Ark for keeping their prices more stable. Victron has over 900 SKUs to check every time they make a new price list.

I'll cover price and input/output.

The Sol-Ark 12K is same output (12Kw) as the EG4 18KPV and the difference is input Kw is 13Kw on the Sol-Ark 12K and of course the EG4 is 18Kw input.

The Sol-Ark 12K is $300 cheaper than the EG4, about the price of a auxiliary SCC.

The Sol-Ark 15K is about $1250 higher, 19.5Kw input and 15Kw output.
The 12k is 10kw

The 15k can only do 12kw from batteries, heck we run more from batteries than they do. The 2 units are not copies but they have pluses and minuses. We think off gridders will like the 18k better than the 15k.

The 18k is 21kw input vs the 19.5kw 15k and has a 200a wire box as well, so definitely not in the same class as their 12k

The 12k is 10kw

Is that with PV?
The 15k can only do 12kw from batteries,

But it does 15K with PV + battery. I see the EG4 is about the same, however that is peak output for between 5 and 10 minutes while the 15K is rated continuous.

The EG4 according to the spec sheet has 13.5Kw battery only but only for 10 minutes.

heck we run more from batteries than they do. The 2 units are not copies but they have pluses and minuses. We think off gridders will like the 18k better than the 15k.

You should list what the continuous output rating is for your product, I'm not seeing it in the spec sheet. I'm not interested in either product at this point but would like information that is basically the same, I'm certain others would also to compare products. One manufacturer lists a spec but a competing product lists a spec with conditions. That is why there is confusion about capability.

The 18k is 21kw input vs the 19.5kw 15k and has a 200a wire box as well, so definitely not in the same class as their 12k
The wire box may or may not be important to some installers.

diy solar

diy solar
Back