diy solar

diy solar

This could be interesting

Two things ... so you just took the cooper pipes and flattened them out and then compressed the braid inside -- NO soldering at all?? Also - and I just asked this on the other link but .. . i also notice that they make circular braid ... what are your thoughts on that?? I could use circular braid and then put a regular wire LUG on it ???

I could use circular braid and then put a regular wire LUG on it ???
I have done ground straps that way. Works fine if the lugs are sized appropriately. I like to make them a mm longer than needed, and just compress them some.

@ghostwriter66

1) yes, you could take the circular braid and put a lug on it. You probably have to experiment a bit selecting the correct size.

2) yes, no soldering. You take the (annealed) copper pipe, start flattening it in a (hydraulic) vise until it's 'flat' but not closed so you can slide the braid in (the full length of the pipe segment, in this case 25mm). Then compress the pipe segment with the braid. After compression you get a cold weld - internally, it will look like this:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/this-could-be-interesting.7835/page-5#post-114359

Last edited:
I'm thinking this would be a good all-in-one for a mobile RV or a small off-grid system.
Do keep in mind that the charger is that: a battery charger, not an MPPT solar charge controller. The inverter can start a generator for example or connect to the grid to charge the battery. The voltage levels on the charger are configurable, so it should work fine with a LiFePO4 bank. We'll find out soon :)

Do keep in mind that the charger is that: a battery charger, not an MPPT solar charge controller. The inverter can start a generator for example or connect to the grid to charge the battery. The voltage levels on the charger are configurable, so it should work fine with a LiFePO4 bank. We'll find out soon :)
Are you going to connect your 10K of solar panels to that?

Are you going to connect your 10K of solar panels to that?

The 10kW array is connected to two 100A MPPT charge controllers from the same company as the inverter. The inverter is going to be put on the 28kWh battery pack, which is equipped with the higher amp Heltec BMS's. The inverter is supposed to surge 18kW, I want to see that :)
I also want to test the generator start function and see what that charger can handle.

I just ordered a MUST EP 3000 'low frequency' inverter/charger (the 6kW version). Cost of the unit $430, shipping $400 with TNT. It should be here in a week or two. I'll report back once I have it.
I took a look at the specs and the smaller ones resemble the sigineer family. I have the 3kw sungoldpower and the operating specs and weight are very close. The form factor is a little different and the control interfaces have definitely been updated in the EP. It looks like the generator input has been replaced by a solar input. The DIP switches seem to be gone ?and I found their description of the low voltage cutoff to be confusing, but regardless it is easily adapted to a relay type bms system like your chargery. Seems to be more an off grid than an RV iteration. If the guts are the same you got a pretty good deal, at least for your location.

I contacted Must about their hybrid inverters.
Communication was difficult and shipping was high.
After I finally got an inverter picked out they told me it was out of stock for a month.

Must seems like a good company but they don't try very hard to sell their product.

I'm not great at dealing with Alibaba either.

Seems like you've had good luck with Must and when I search around people like them.

You have to understand that MUST is not really into dealing with individuals, but rather B2B with much larger orders. The one I ordered is essentially a sample, because I am planning a much larger order if these work out. I also have MUST charge controllers for the same reason, and if these all work out I have a single supplier for charge controllers and inverters.

They asked me if mine was for business or home. I made the mistake of saying home.
Then I knew it was time to go elsewhere.
I have a business. Nothing to do with solar though. I am not comfortable saying that I sell solar equipment.
I have a business account at Lowes and Home Depot even though I don't work in construction. And I get special treatment. lol

Form factor looks a bit like a Sigineer or Aims unit.

Is it around 50 pounds?

Or 23kg or ? Stones ?

Almost 50kg :) 6kW version.

They have a 12kW version as well. Might get one if this one is good.
I was thinking of a 3kw model.

This 6kw one is only 34kg

Hopefully your extra weight is copper and not a brick inside ?

I was inquiring about the 3K versions too. 6K doesn't cost much more.

I'm basically looking for a toy to play with. It will be my portable power.
I ended up buying the MPP Solar 3048.
I'm going to temporarily screw it to the wall on top of my work bench and use it to charge and discharge batteries.
I'll add some solar panels too.

Back