diy solar

diy solar

This forum has 0 ads... Well maybe it could.

I don't have a clue what you are referring to with pop up ads on "that" forum. Been a member for over 10 years and I don't think I have ever seen a pop up ad.
Hmmmm… It’s been good awhile …and I was only there about an hour before leaving….If I am wrong then I am simply remembering the NAME wrong.. Not the experience…. I have no bone to pick with any site that wants to do whatever they wish…
Let’s say you’re correct ..and Im confusing the wrong site with “whoever “..that’s very possible ….I have done it before many times in life of different things…
I clearly remember the effort it took to fight off adds and pop ups ( where ever I was) . we have all been there online and been messed with while trying to simply read or concentrate...That was the whole point.
Thats why I don’t use names generally, unless I’m seriously going after SOMEONE…and I certainly wasn’t in this case…
…“where ever I was online,” it was not a good experience like it is on this site…Ads are killing the joy of so many sites anymore that it has ruined many a place I have been visiting for 25 years .

That was my main and only message…J.

Just run an addon that turns all Amazon,Ebay,Aliexpress,Alibaba links posted here to Affliate links (If it isnt already there) and profit.
No need to mess with ads. It will make good money

I always thought will made a decent living from youtube and all his affilatte commissions. He bought a house, tesla cars, electric trucks and I thought he was more than comfortable financially, so why this conversation about ads on a forum? The members have paid their dues by buying wills recommendations, watching his vids and buying his book etc. I appreciate it costs to have a website but it's a write off expense and a drop in the ocean. Given how simple things are now we have plug n play all in ones etc and the huge amount of info freely available I don't think ads or paid memberships will help grow this forum. It was created with good intentions to help people but trying to monetize is a bad idea.

I agree, I don't need to put ads at all. I would like to pay the mods and maybe members who contribute a lot, but the ads would ruin it.

And I don't deduct anything on my taxes ? I am scared of an audit. I just pay for this stuff out of pocket.

I did have a scare a few weeks ago with the email hosting, but I have found a solution. Well, multiple solutions that worked together.

I agree, I don't need to put ads at all. I would like to pay the mods and maybe members who contribute a lot, but the ads would ruin it.

And I don't deduct anything on my taxes ? I am scared of an audit. I just pay for this stuff out of pocket.

I did have a scare a few weeks ago with the email hosting, but I have found a solution. Well, multiple solutions that worked together.
i agree will, irs audits scare the living crap out of me, eventhough i've lived on this side of the pond for a good while now

An in-law once owned the largest outdoor forums in existence (not sure about today). He tried ads, sponsorships and memberships. All results were mediocre but sponsorships were the most effective for revenue. He got companies that were specific to what the forum was about. Couldn't make a living off it but it paid the forum bills with a little extra.

If a membership was enacted and involved Patreon or Paypal I would personally bow out.

The free flow of information on this forum is excellent so I get the hesitancy to make changes.

I thought I was the only business owner that thought this way and paid personally for small items. :unsure:
I think the government is too big and they take more than my share of dollars from me and virtually everyone that exceeds 80% of mean. Those are legitimate write-offs that are fully legal and you will contribute to good outcomes in the community to pay a decent CPA to do your taxes.

I don't deduct anything on my taxes ? I am scared of an audit. I just pay for this stuff out of pocket.
I have a friend who… well I won’t write a book here but his wife felt similarly about his business. 100% legit.
He had a licensed professional look at his taxes last year because he was curious and tired of paying in each year. He was thinking of selling out because with covid changing some things and also not getting product for 6-8 months ahead of his seasonal demand his ‘profits’ were way down, really down.
Well the CPA found about $46k of unaccounted for expenses he paid income taxes on last year alone, and discovered years of improperly handled depreciation and other business costs. Sure, his income tax would have been higher, but he would have not struggled. Spending out of pocket for legitimate expenses puts money in the government’s hands that doesn’t belong there.

Write stuff off wherever it’s legal - a cpa will keep you out of trouble anyway. Then if you want to give away that money you can give it to someplace that actually benefits people without either subsidizing poor behavior or just having it flat out disappear.
IMHO

Just run an addon that turns all Amazon,Ebay,Aliexpress,Alibaba links posted here to Affliate links (If it isnt already there) and profit.
No need to mess with ads. It will make good money

Seems like a fantastic idea.

We members post links to provide information or vendor suggestions to other members.
Some members may intentionally or inadvertently post an affiliate link.

If Will could have an add-on that turns all links into affiliate links paying him (at least links to places like Amazon and eBay which he might be able to register with), then Will gets revenue.

That isn’t really a fact.
Marketing 201:
- you have buyers buying something in your sector
- you present a good product in a good way at a specific value to those buyers
- you offer value above the cost in whatever way you choose that’s honest
- some of those buyers become your customers
- you present value in exchange for referrals in some fashion that makes sense for the product segment, cost of conversion and margin expectations

Saying DIY isn’t a good market doesn’t make a bit of sense to me. Some of those diy potential customer base people eat food, buy audio equipment, use clothing, buy offgrid supplies, use air conditioning, buy tires, drink water, use cellphones…. Even Will has developed a reasonably successful business in this segment.

Oddly enough success is not guaranteed in life but its likelihood goes way up with vision and a willingness to work.

Hi, we might be thinking of different things.

I am not a retailer and I don't sell, install or support far east imported components or power systems, or do any kind of linking / referrals to amazon or anyone else on this forum or any other.

I can see how a larger company that is the business of selling far east import components would be very interested in advertising and the cost of it might not be a factor.

Yes I do have some low volume product offerings but honestly I don't think that they will be interesting to a strong DIY community like this.

I was injured pretty badly in an 2 vehicle accident 18 month ago and just do some part time stuff now.

For me personally and what I do - it would be a donation with little expectation of an ROI, but still nice to have a small fixed adv if that works. If not, it is fine.

Last edited:
I don't much like paypal, but will make use of them where I need to for now. OTOH, I will have nothing to do with patreon under any circumstances, having learned through demonstration just how far they will go to uphold their arbitrary decisions even by means of corruption and (at least now) having a ToS that in no way obligates them to pay anyone for any reason.

In any case, sounds like this is for the time being a moot point, as the financial side is working within acceptable parameters now that the email issue is sorted and the donation page is up. Still a useful resource for ideas should the situation change.

I'd be the first in line to buy an ad if things resorted to that, but I don't think it's an option worth considering. I think there may be only 1 way it can work right and about 1000 ways it can go wrong. Not worth it in my opinion. Here's a couple thoughts:

A free for all "highest bidder" strategy would be a catastrophic disaster...but hand choosing who gets to buy ads would be a management nightmare. There would probably be some criteria for getting an ad slot...but how do you come up with a good criteria that doesn't turn the forum into a mess?

Let's say one of the criteria is "good customer service". Is it now the admin's job to research the quality of customer service in order to approve or deny their ad request? That's a lot of extra work. If the criteria didn't factor in things like the quality of the advertiser's customer service, then the admins are going to have to deal with the repercussions of angry customers filling the vendor review corner. That's a double-edge sword.
true hence a buyout of adds with a fee for members... you ignore all ads for a price, if you interact with one, then its your fault as a grown human being... works well on other forums...just my ¥3.2 worth...

There’s always that dweeb sitting in his momma’s basement whose only goal in life is to throw a wrench in the works.

I don't much like paypal, but will make use of them where I need to for now. OTOH, I will have nothing to do with patreon under any circumstances, having learned through demonstration just how far they will go to uphold their arbitrary decisions even by means of corruption and (at least now) having a ToS that in no way obligates them to pay anyone for any reason.

In any case, sounds like this is for the time being a moot point, as the financial side is working within acceptable parameters now that the email issue is sorted and the donation page is up. Still a useful resource for ideas should the situation change.
link to donation page? not seeing it on my end. Edit: never mind it popped up when i was browsing a post.

If you get with a good ad network - i.e. either Medivine or Rapture (formerly Adthrive/Cafe Media, their new name is stupid), you can dictate where ads go and how many of them there are. They will set it up. 90% of my revenue is from ads and I employe 15 people (well, a mixture of W2 and 1099 folks) from part to full time based on that income. And I pay fairly well - my executive editor/COO makes close to $100k (that might be low to a few, but I aint from Silicone Valley) and two of my managing editors make close to $70k. And this is just from two informational sites (I have others but two main ones). (also note that this has been a long assed endeavor and I was in the red for many years, and breaking even after that from reinvesting most earnings back into the business).

You could put enough ads on here to definitely cover costs, pay some mods, and potentially put some money in your pocket, and still keep it cleanish. Advertisers pay less for forum spots than "blogs" (hate that term), but there is enough pageviews here to make it worth it.

Hell, when I started this solar journey and stumbled on this forum, I even thought about making an offer on it (fits in with my niches - homesteading, gardening, food, general home stuff).

Last edited:
An in-law once owned the largest outdoor forums in existence (not sure about today). He tried ads, sponsorships and memberships. All results were mediocre but sponsorships were the most effective for revenue. He got companies that were specific to what the forum was about. Couldn't make a living off it but it paid the forum bills with a little extra.

If a membership was enacted and involved Patreon or Paypal I would personally bow out.

The free flow of information on this forum is excellent so I get the hesitancy to make changes.
He was probably doing this in the period after Adsense quit paying very well and before ad networks were a thing. Ad networks sell their own space and "fall back" to Adsense if they have nothing to offer. And they can pry a TON more money out of Google than an individual/small business can alone.

I could approach this from several angles, having some experience in the area, however I think one thing that hasn't been expressed here is making sure the bar is low enough for people to contribute good content.

of the many reasons the forum is successful two are 1) you have a core group of contributors who eagerly and expertly assist any newcomer, and 2) the youtube videos match the forum in terms of helpfulness, straightforwardness, and honesty.

The second is no fluke - people who are attracted to the videos will try the forum, those who are turned off by them won't. You are the example, and people appreciate your style and humility.

The first is related, but there's an important difference between this forum and some others - this one has a low hurdle to participation. Registration is required, which keeps the moderation requirements low, but that is the only bar to participation. There are a number of forums which I would have contributed to - including this one, at first - but didn't because I had to register. I'm biased, but I don't think I'm the kind of contributor that forums want to avoid. Expert analysis and good explanations are candy to search engines like google, and are exactly what newcomers are looking for when the search for information. Google doesn't just measure whether a search link is clicked - it also measures whether the one below it was clicked, indicating that the one above it didn't meet the user's needs. People who end up here via searches likely often get their questions answered, and then stick around if this is a topic which they are researching. Google sees this, and pushes this forum's results up.

That said, I won't participate in forums where I can't contribute fully. Locking posting features behind a pay wall, or even demanding a certain number of posts before allowing attachments or images are things which will turn me away and avoid the forum except in relevant google searches. I can't tell you the number of automotive forums for cars I own that I'd love to visit regularly, but due to this, too many ads, the requirement to login just to see images or download files, etc I just ignore.

So I'd strongly suggest avoiding participation limits. In fact, I prefer the stackoverflow model where registration isn't required - enter your name and email along with the post and let the members flag it and moderators delete it if it's inappropriate. If considering ads, limit them. - one at the top, one on the side, one at the bottom. Start putting them between the posts (or worse - making them match the posts in color and visual style, or having so much at the top that the content doesn't start until you scroll down) and I'm gone.

I prefer the clean visual look this forum currently has, so unless there's some reason to change things then keeping it as it is is preferable.

But I'm cheap and time constrained, so if the forum starts to make using it even a little difficult, or requires payment of some sort I'm just going to take it out of my daily rotation and only visit it if it happens to show up in a search. Losing me isn't an issue that should direct your decisions, but some people are easily annoyed yet have some value, so it's worth considering the balance of the low bar vs moderation vs expert participation when approaching these decisions.

So how many people donated? A progress bar to the goal would be nice?
I did it the first day the thing came up on the screen. It would be nice if the forum had a more elaborate donation system. That bar only comes up on some forum sections and it's primitive! @upnorthandpersonal it could use yours or Will-P personal programming touch.

Back