diy solar

diy solar

Thunderbolt solar kit questions

RenV

Ok, so I have this Thunderbolt solar kit I bought in 2019 for a fun project to get started on solar. Haven't done a lot with it other than set it up in the back yard and tried to run some lights off it. Life got in the way/lost interest, etc. I understand this kit is not the greatest, but it's what I have for now.
Now I'm trying to figure out solar for an impending move to an off-grid cabin and so am looking at this kit and starting to try and play with it to learn.
(I don't need something this small in the cabin, can get by with lanterns, etc, but it would be kind of fun to run some lights and a small fan off it, and again, just to figure things out first on a small scale.)
I had bought the HF LA 12v/35a battery, and a Jupiter 1500w/3000w pure sine wave inverter to work with it.
Battery is now dead. I think. Charge controller is not showing anything at all, so I can only assume the battery is dead and possibly the controller.
I'm looking at replacing battery with a Vatrer 12v/30a LiFePo4. Good idea?

Controller may also be dead. I don't know how to tell. But I'm looking at a Renogy 10a controller to replace it. Again, will it work?

1) Are these panels just considered junk at this point? I have not tested them to see if they are putting out any energy. Their little blue lights are on! If they are junk, though, would this Grape Solar panel work?
2) a real beginner electric question: If you look at the charge controller that comes with the kit, the solar input is 1 plug. The Renogy controller doesn't have that. Would I have to cut the plug from the solar panels, strip the wires, and then hardwire them in? And it's ok to do that?

Thanks for your patience! I appreciate all your help!

The battery will only run that inverter if the bms has the amp capacity of more than 125 amps and would only last about 20 minutes at full power

That battery only has a 30 amp BMS. Your inverter is capable of 125 amps at 1500w, so that battery is too small (the BMS actually) or you would have to run small loads less than 350 watts, even that would max out the BMS, and your inverter likely uses 20 watts itself. You could run 12v lights and accessories though. maybe some LED lights, likely need one more panel too. Overnight that inverter would use about 240 watthours just idling, and your battery is 360 watthours.

Back