diy solar

diy solar

Tiago optimizers or not? Please read below

Galego

I have 10 x 410w panels in a South facing roof installed 5 days ago. I see that the chimney (and tv aerial) shades one to two panels after 14.30 or so.

Would it be worthy my time/money to fit two tiago optimizers in those two panels?

They are going for 80eur fitted each.

01-oct-23
Photo 1 (shades one panel taken at 15:15)
Photo 2(taken at 16:15)
photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg

It would depend on how the panels are wired.
DC series/Parallel to string inverter?
Micro inverters?

It would depend on how the panels are wired.
DC series/Parallel to string inverter?
Micro inverters?
I am actually not sure and will have to ask the in installer. There isnt any micro inverters.
Which DC would it be recommended for my situation? Series or paralle?
The inverter is a Solis Hybrid 5kw.

I am actually not sure and will have to ask the in installer. There isnt any micro inverters.
Which DC would it be recommended for my situation? Series or paralle?
The inverter is a Solis Hybrid 5kw.
It would depend how the installer wired it.
I would guess that it's probably a single series string.
Optimizers would help slightly. But not enough to justify the cost, in my opinion.
Always better to avoid the shadows.

It would depend how the installer wired it.
I would guess that it's probably a single series string.
Optimizers would help slightly. But not enough to justify the cost, in my opinion.
Always better to avoid the shadows.
I will relocate the tv arena but still have the chimney to deal with.
Any work around it wiring the panels in one way or another?

Could go with 5s2p, so that it only affects half of the array. But, probably not worth the extra wiring and effort. And might be too low of a voltage for the inverter.

Thanks for the quick and handy solutions "get rid of the chimney" or "rotate the house"....haha

Now in a serious note. Is there any way to determine that all 10 panels are up and running (and none is acting up or faulty)? And without having to go up the roof!!

Could go with 5s2p, so that it only affects half of the array. But, probably not worth the extra wiring and effort. And might be too low of a voltage for the inverter.
Removing the first panel which gets shaded would be a mad idea, right?

I think the panel-level monitoring and rapid shutdown (RSD) capabilities would be a bigger benefit from installing the Tigo optimizers than any optimizing they provide. You will need a signal injector, which are also inexpensive, to make the system work. I'm a bit surprised your installer didn't spec these on a roof-top installation, but maybe RSD isn't required where you are.

I have almost no shade of my roof, until about 6pm, when sun is low enough any ways that it doesn't matter. But I still opted for Tigo Optimizers for 2 reasons, being that my county required RSD, and because I wanted the panel level monitoring. Even if it doesn't improve output, it's still worth knowing if a panel is underperforming or if something is wrong.

no, tigo optimizers don't work, anyway.

move/remove the TV antenna.
They do work. 2.2kWh reclaimed out of 8kWh generated.
I've been wondering about how much benefit the Tigo optimizers have ever since I read this blog post: https://www.mcelectrical.com.au/tigo-optimiser-recall/

However, it sounds like the problem with poor performance or even negative impacts to performance existed for people who wanted to only install the optimizers for the optimization capability without monitoring or rapid shutdown, and if the optimizer cloud connect kit was installed, the firmware on the optimizers was updated and the problems were no longer present.

Can anyone verify that this is the case?

When I installed my last few optimisers I discovered that they worked OK as optimisers without a cloud connection at first. I then foolishly connected them to the cloud, but hadn't finished setting up the system. When I tried to use the system with no cloud connection the optimisers switched off , killing the whole system.

AIUI before they connect to the cloud the rapid shutdown is disabled. After they have made a cloud connection rapid shutdown is enabled, one of the "features" of rapid shutdown is that it shuts the panels down if the CCA is not connected. A pretty annoying feature if you live in a country where rapid shutdown is not a requirement.

Back