diy solar

diy solar

tiny house setup

tinyhousejay

i had originally planned in using the kodiak system, which i have, but needed something that could be run 24/7. ive been looking around and tryin ti learn as much as i can before i decide to purchase anything. i was drawn to the mpp solar all-in-one setup, but unsure. also, i want to be able to run the system to my panels bow. i wont be using alot of energy, lights, ceiling fan, and washer/dryer combo machine. later a mini split.

Considering your loads, you will need a pretty big system. If you are going with an all-in-one, 48v 5kw pip model will serve you well. Mini split and washer/ dryer are some taxing loads. Expect to have 2000 watt array minimum of you plan to use these appliances year round

If that is an electric dryer paired with the washer, check the power usage on it, they tend to be HIGH power users, and most need 220 volts, so make sure your equipment supports it's power needs.

I'm planning a similar setup. But opted for a gas dryer and gas on demand water heater. Possibly a split AC unit as well. High load items will be used only during daytime with full sunshine on panels.

I'm sure my setup is very similar to many others out there. I have a 20-year-old solar system by Snyder electric. Eight let acid roll batteries plus 4 solar panels
After about a year of doing some on and off research more often on it does appear that the lithium ion iron phosphate batteries would be my best option
Will,
I'm sure you receive thousands of messages a week but for those with a small cabin in the woods such as myself and looking to possibly replace my lead acid batteries with other lead acid batteries until I can afford to make the big leap to lithium ion iron phosphate this may be something other should be aware of.
When dealing with lead acid batteries and some others if you have your batteries inside your cabin these batteries give off some type of fumes. The reason I know this is because my carbon monoxide detector went off several times.
Just wanted to bring this to your attention and others as this may be dangerous to people

I just read one of the posts under the link to the Battery University for Health Concerns with Batteries:

"my battery was not giving enough power o i was advised to remove the distilled water and pour fresh one in. But by mistake i put in petrol. As soon as i got to know the mistake i poured it out only to find it coming it out in black liquid. Can i pour in distilled water after rinsing it with same and still use the battery? Quick reply would be appreciated.
Thank you."

Yikes

If that is an electric dryer paired with the washer, check the power usage on it, they tend to be HIGH power users, and most need 220 volts, so make sure your equipment supports it's power needs.

Dryer....200-5500 watts for 50 minutes.

I use a clothes line but my wife does not.

I am considering the following: Portable Compact Lightweight Mini Twin Tub Laundry Washing Machine

Screenshot-at-2019-09-21-17-25-00.png

Last edited:
Can you get a gas fired dryer? Then all the electric does is spin the clothes, the gas does the heavy work of heating the air to dry the clothes.
The dryer here is similar for usage. Blue trace is power usage. The first chunk at 7:30AM is electric heat (was chilly this AM), second one about 9AM was washing machine (spin cycle at the end uses more juice), third one at about 11AM is the dryer, brief spikes are the microwave for tea, etc. Red trace is line voltage.
Power_TED.jpg

Back