diy solar

diy solar

TN whole house battery?

TNRonin

Hi all. My brother just overpaid for a generac PV grid tied setup. No batteries yet.

I've been trying to help and advise him, at least keep from getting ripped off even more.

Ok, he told me that the inverter for the PV is tied in to the generator transfer switch BEFORE the main breaker. And, this is what got me to ask, he was told by the installers that it was TN code that the transfer switch AND batteries had to be outside the home (he has an under house garage in his case). I found it odd since at no time have I ever read or heard this. He further said that he was told that he was not allowed to go off the grid.

Now I gotta say, I was not privy to the conversation, and what he told me is subject to his interpretation, and related to me.

With that said, thank you Will for your educational videos.

Mitch

I was told the same thing about going off grid... but that being said, as long as you have mains connected to your house you are fine... whether you use it or not.
dont know about the battery part.

I was thinking the same. When he informed me that the PV/inverter was on the other of the main breaker I was nonplussed. Especially when he said it had to be outside.

I'm in Cookeville by the way.

I'm not in TN, so I can't give an good evidence. But I believe most requirements are about having a grid connection, not using about using it.

Depending on the code and battery UL listing, it may be required to be 5' away from the house.

It's funny that we are required to have a utility connection. But if we stop paying for it, they will remove it without issue. lol

Now that I'm thinking about it, I recall seeing the vids with the inverter/automatic switch being in front of the main breaker. But the outside part throws me (I think it BS coming from the installers).

Back