diy solar

diy solar

Whole home system

Just an update - first account from utility company once system completed was total due $4.75 and should go negative with the next bill next week so tracking nicely with my objectives. Needless to say summer with the aircon running all day in the next few months will be interesting…but hopefully will have some credit built up on the utility account to negate the summer heat.

Just an update - first account from utility company once system completed was total due $4.75 and should go negative with the next bill next week so tracking nicely with my objectives. Needless to say summer with the aircon running all day in the next few months will be interesting…but hopefully will have some credit built up on the utility account to negate the summer heat.
Very nice. Way to go!

Question. What's the highest pv production you've seen in one day?

We have the same amount of pv but my inverter is fully maxed out and clipping from 11 am to 4 pm. Highest I've seen is 95kwh. I'm wondering how much I'm leaving on the table

Very nice. Way to go!

Question. What's the highest pv production you've seen in one day?

We have the same amount of pv but my inverter is fully maxed out and clipping from 11 am to 4 pm. Highest I've seen is 95kwh. I'm wondering how much I'm leaving on the table
106.2 a couple of days ago. I have my battery charge during peak solar production times but still also clip. Will need more batteries to charge to stop that from happening just not prepared to splurge on more.

IMG_2486.jpeg
Seems like very close quarters with all the equipment facing each other. The inspector doesn't have a problem with that?
I didnt need to pass any inspections, and yes it’s a little close, but a certified electrician did do the AC side of things. I only had to have the utility company come out and sign off on the export to grid. I did have to have all the equipment appropriately labeled for the utility company.

106.2 a couple of days ago. I have my battery charge during peak solar production times but still also clip. Will need more batteries to charge to stop that from happening just not prepared to splurge on more.

View attachment 207653

I didnt need to pass any inspections, and yes it’s a little close, but a certified electrician did do the AC side of things. I only had to have the utility company come out and sign off on the export to grid. I did have to have all the equipment appropriately labeled for the utility company.
Thanks! That agrees with my estimates of leaving about 10kwh on the table on sunny days.

Since you are exporting any excess production I don't think additional battery will help. You should be getting all your production

Last edited:
IMG_2487.jpeg

This is what my graph on that day looks like. Generally just over 100 pv generated on a clear day currently. And you can see the clipping from around 11am when it’s maxed out at 12kW AC. With more battery to charge I could use the rest of the 6kw of DC available. Hint hint @Will Prowse 🤣🤣

I could charge the battery faster and I would then peak above 16k of pv, but have no need to put my battery through that and it would just drop back down to clipping at 12k once it was full. With more battery I could then send the 6kw to the battery and use all of the pv generated. I think I could easily accomodate another 25kw of battery to utilize all the pv getting generated.

View attachment 207655

This is what my graph on that day looks like. Generally just over 100 pv generated on a clear day currently. And you can see the clipping from around 11am when it’s maxed out at 12kW AC. With more battery to charge I could use the rest of the 6kw of DC available. Hint hint @Will Prowse 🤣🤣
Oh that's right the 18kpv can only export 12kw max.
In that graph did you have the battery set to charge around peak sun?

Oh that's right the 18kpv can only export 12kw max.
In that graph did you have the battery set to charge around peak sun?
12kW of AC and 6kw of DC. Hence 18k.

I had the battery set to slowly charge from noon. Only pushing 1.2kw to the battery to charge so lots of room left.
Actually have it set to export last, so when it maxes the AC side the battery starts charging, so around 11am it starts pushing excess power to the battery, then at noon I have the battery set to recharge until full.

12kW of AC and 6kw of DC. Hence 18k.

I had the battery set to slowly charge from noon. Just changed it to 11am. Only pushing 1.2kw to the battery to charge so lots of room left.
That's what it looked like but I wasn't sure. Good strategy

Still tweaking here and there but that’s today’s setup. Also probably need to adjust utility power params to prevent the grid “fallouts” which kills the pv production as you can see on the graph.

Back