diy solar

diy solar

Portable Power Grid - Whole House System

that's a 60 cell panel. It's considered marginal for charging a 24V system. In moderate to cool temps, it should be okay most of the time, but in hot temps, it may not provide sufficient voltage as Vmp drops with higher temperature.

If this is the charger:

150Voc is the limit, and 3S would work.

that's a 60 cell panel. It's considered marginal for charging a 24V system. In moderate to cool temps, it should be okay most of the time, but in hot temps, it may not provide sufficient voltage as Vmp drops with higher temperature.

If this is the charger:

150Voc is the limit, and 3S would work.
The one in your picture is the newer one... Mine is black... Yes it should handle 3S...and youre right... The system is challenged on days above 80deg F... I open the sidewalls and let air flow through on those days... Most summer days in upper Michigan are in the 70's but we get those hot spells... This is the system AIMS sold me... It is six years old now...

The one in your picture is the newer one... Mine is black... Yes it should handle 3S...and youre right... The system is challenged on days above 80deg F... I open the sidewalls and let air flow through on those days... Most summer days in upper Michigan are in the 70's but we get those hot spells... This is the system AIMS sold me... It is six years old now...

Based on that, 3S should help.

Thank you... Yes you are correct... A friend of mine suggested series wiring for the PV panels... I'm just afraid to try until the loggers can take down some of my larger trees close to the yard (log prices being low right now)...
As for now I'm keeping them parallel for that reason and readjusting the trailer to get maximum light...

Thank you... Yes you are correct... A friend of mine suggested series wiring for the PV panels... I'm just afraid to try until the loggers can take down some of my larger trees close to the yard (log prices being low right now)...
As for now I'm keeping them parallel for that reason and readjusting the trailer to get maximum light...

If you're relocating for better sun, you're already mitigating the shade. Would go series to get the most out of your efforts.

If shading only on a single panel is the concern, yes, keeping parallel will help output, except the voltage still won’t be high enough to properly charge the bank.

A good compromise is 2S 2P, add a fourth panel, and tie panels in series parallel.

That will double your voltage, and still offer protection from partial shading.

If you are fully shaded… parallel or series won’t matter.

Back