diy solar

diy solar

Portable Power Grid - Whole House System

No its not a large capacity... I dont usually let them go under 70%...but we usually only do a few led lights and tv in the evening...
Then it should be PLENTY , if you are genuinely struggling to run a TV and LEDs off that bank , I would be worried something is wrong

How are the three panels wired?
I assume all in parallel, since all in series likely would over volt the controller.
I bet you are not quite up to full voltage for charging the bank.
What are the specs of the charge controller, and the panels?
You are correct... They are in parallel... I was told that unless you have constant sun it is not good to wire in series... Any thoughts on that?

The charge controller is an AIMS MPPT60 which works but the instruction manual is vague and tech support is clueless...
My panels are AIMS 250w @ 8.3amps per panel i believe...

Do you have a way to isolate the charge controller from the batteries once sun goes down?

Do you have a way to isolate the charge controller from the batteries once sun goes down?
I haven't done it on a regular basis... I have disconnected it as a test to see if batteries drop significantly but isolated to themselves they dont seem to lose much more than 1/2 volt or slightly more... So i believe it could be a draw from controller...

I haven't done it on a regular basis... I have disconnected it as a test to see if batteries drop significantly but isolated to themselves they dont seem to lose much more than 1/2 volt or slightly more... So i believe it could be a draw from controller...
Maybe that is it. Could be that the controller is back feeding panels. I would measure to voltage on the panel wiring. If its not zero I would guess that a diode somewhere is just passing voltage both ways.

How are the three panels wired?
I assume all in parallel, since all in series likely would over volt the controller.
I bet you are not quite up to full voltage for charging the bank.
What are the specs of the charge controller, and the panels?
Parallel... The panels are 250w and i believe 8.3 amps each... (3 x250= 750)

Maybe it is just just voltage sag? How cold are they getting?
Nice work on a great portable setup.
Thank you!... The batteries are enclosed in the trailer but are at the mercy of outside temps... Charging is affected by hot days.... Not so much in the cold..

Thank you!... The batteries are enclosed in the trailer but are at the mercy of outside temps... Charging is affected by hot days.... Not so much in the cold..

Charging is affected by both. Lead acid requires temperature compensation - charging to higher voltages in cold and lower voltages in hot. Are you using it?

Are you dropping below 25.2V at the battery terminals overnight?

Parallel... The panels are 250w and i believe 8.3 amps each... (3 x250= 750)
Amps isn't relevant, I need to know VOC, VMP voltages, also need to know max voltage the scc can have.

Parallel is more resistant to partial shading than series, but voltage needs to be high enough for the mppt to get charge current into the battery.

I will lose a mostly full charge of about 26.7- 27.0v and after sun goes down i drop to about 24.8v

I think 27V is low, not a full charge. Look up what absorption voltage and for how long.
It also needs to be temperature compensated. At least set voltage manually for today's temperature, to test. Remove loads if required to maintain voltage and time.

Want a bigger array? Either a second set on top to flip out, or hanging on the side to flip up. Even both sides.

Charging is affected by both. Lead acid requires temperature compensation - charging to higher voltages in cold and lower voltages in hot. Are you using it?

Are you dropping below 25.2V at the battery terminals overnight?
It will hover around 24.6 - 25.0 overnight if you leave it alone and are not using any power... This is provided its had a good charging day...

Amps isn't relevant, I need to know VOC, VMP voltages, also need to know max voltage the scc can have.

Parallel is more resistant to partial shading than series, but voltage needs to be high enough for the mppt to get charge current into the battery.
I guess Iwill have to do a measurement with my multimeter to get you an accurate output... Yes, i could be struggling because i am in the woods and some intermittent shading could be hurting me... I do need some trees cut to maximize sun time...

I guess Iwill have to do a measurement with my multimeter to get you an accurate output... Yes, i could be struggling because i am in the woods and some intermittent shading could be hurting me... I do need some trees cut to maximize sun time...
Info should be printed on back of panel.

I'm reading need 29.4V output to charge the FLA batteries...

I think 27V is low, not a full charge. Look up what absorption voltage and for how long.
It also needs to be temperature compensated. At least set voltage manually for today's temperature, to test. Remove loads if required to maintain voltage and time.

Want a bigger array? Either a second set on top to flip out, or hanging on the side to flip up. Even both sides.
I have added another panel in the past but it didnt seem to help... Again it could be inconsistent sunlight... And we do get a lot of gray days here especially in the fall time...

Info should be printed on back of panel.

I'm reading need 29.4V output to charge the FLA batteries...
20231027_132625.jpg
You are right... It does specify on the data tag... Hope this helps... Yes, I've always thought 29.0 should be the ideal standard as that would be an optimal 7.25 per battery...

Back