diy solar

diy solar

Total beginner - valance battery no posts to attach wires too - not sure what do

SparkiiBlu

just put together my board following one of Will’s YouTube videos and went to attach the battery to the controller only to discover there aren’t any posts.

I have a Valance 138ah U27 12XP.

Seems like a dumb question but I’m not sure what to. Can one purchase posts? Do they come in standard sizes? Is there a different way to attach the controller wires to the battery?

Went to the local auto parts store, advanced auto in Chestertown, MD. We tried standard extender bolts but they were much too wide.

He figured out it was 5/16 coarse and suggested the shortest bolt which is 1/2” in length. Still a little long so have adding washers.

The gentleman there also suggested adding light coat of bulb grease to the bolt and each washer to help with connectivity

Sorry for the double image. Looks like it's an M8 x 1.25. :)

Sorry for the double image. Looks like it's an M8 x 1.25. :)

NP, thanks! where did you find this?

1.25 seems too tall but I’ll try one. The 5/16 x 1/2” seems to be working but maybe that is why the screw doesn’t go in very far may only 1/4”.

Is it normal to have longer screws for battery posts?

Well, maybe not over totally - you can always tap new threads into the terminals ;-)

Yeah but that's something you really don't want to have to do, especially as the risk to have a real game over this time is pretty high.

Imagine that. Imagine a world where you have a huge data base at your fingertips on your phone.
I get the , "can you answer this question" from Amazon all the time.
"Does this RAM fit XXXX computer". I just put the make/model in Google and out comes the answer.

@Carly and @Sgt Raven - I did search for valance 138ah u27, but didn't know to add "data sheet" on the end. Donk!

@BiduleOhm thanks for the clarification. The 5/16 definitely seems like it fits but I'll switch to the M8 and hope for the best.

Thanks for everyone's input.

@Carly and @Sgt Raven - I did search for valance 138ah u27, but didn't know to add "data sheet" on the end. Donk!

@BiduleOhm thanks for the clarification. The 5/16 definitely seems like it fits but I'll switch to the M8 and hope for the best.

Thanks for everyone's input.
FYI, if something is made someplace other than the USA, it is a pretty good bet it is Metric.

Using standard threads on metric is probably causing the bolt to bind up is the reason you thought that the bolt was too long. Use something smaller then the bolt hole and stick down in the hole. Then compare it to the bolt so you make sure you don’t bottom out. Try screwing the bolt (M8 1.25)in and if it gets hard before reaching bottom, then your threads maybe cross thread. Don’t know how much you paid for Valence U27 batteries, but the cheapest I’ve found is $400, so it’s better to be safe then sorry.

Using standard threads on metric is probably causing the bolt to bind up is the reason you thought that the bolt was too long. Use something smaller then the bolt hole and stick down in the hole. Then compare it to the bolt so you make sure you don’t bottom out. Try screwing the bolt (M8 1.25)in and if it gets hard before reaching bottom, then your threads maybe cross thread. Don’t know how much you paid for Valence U27 batteries, but the cheapest I’ve found is $400, so it’s better to be safe then sorry.
Just a little trivia. Back in 1970, the chain adjuster bolts on my Kawasaki motorcycle used M6-1.0 bolts. It was pretty well known they used "soft" bolts and would strip. A quick and dirty fix, if they stripped, was screw a 1/4"-28 Grade 8 Bolt as a replacement. It was slightly larger in diameter and would work without running a tap in there first. Back then you couldn't just walk in a Hardware store and find Metric bolts like you can today.

Learning is great fun. Sgt learned how Ohm's law worked yesterday ;-)

it is!

Now I’ll have to look up ohms law which I guessing might have something to do with electric shock “therapy”. I’m hoping I don’t need to share the experience :)

it is!

Now I’ll have to look up ohms law which I guessing might have something to do with electric shock “therapy”. I’m hoping I don’t need to share the experience :)
There's an app on your phone for that. That is if you plug the numbers in before posting something and look the fool.

Back