diy solar

diy solar

Trophy vs Pylontech vs SOK battery longevity

Patrick H

I was looking at a local company for solar and they were using pylontech us5000 batteries which is about a 100ah battery for $3,300 - far more than many of the LiFePo4 batteries out there like SOK, Trophy, and EG4. I asked why they're so expensive and one of the reasons cited was the pylontechs are rated for 95% DoD at 6,000 cycles. This seems substantially better than Trophy, for example which is 80% DoD at 3,500 cycles. SOK is 4,000 cycles at 100% DoD and 7,000 at 80%.

I know Will has a high opinion of Trophy but the lifespan of the batteries seems really low compared to these other brands. Am I missing something?

$3,300 seems a bit high for a US5000. I've been thinking about adding one to my system and I found a UK supplier selling for £1,550 inc VAT ($1,850). Of course there may be differences in taxes and things.

$3,300 seems a bit high for a US5000. I've been thinking about adding one to my system and I found a UK supplier selling for £1,550 inc VAT ($1,850). Of course there may be differences in taxes and things.
The Pylontech comm protocol has become a standard of sorts, so there is that. I am sure they have some excellent engineers. That being said, SOK's are a solid solution.

I was looking at a local company for solar and they were using pylontech us5000 batteries which is about a 100ah battery for $3,300 - far more than many of the LiFePo4 batteries out there like SOK, Trophy, and EG4. I asked why they're so expensive and one of the reasons cited was the pylontechs are rated for 95% DoD at 6,000 cycles. This seems substantially better than Trophy, for example which is 80% DoD at 3,500 cycles. SOK is 4,000 cycles at 100% DoD and 7,000 at 80%.

I know Will has a high opinion of Trophy but the lifespan of the batteries seems really low compared to these other brands. Am I missing something?
3300 is very much too high, and they are spewing nonsense on lifetime.
both sok and trophy use 6000 cycle cells, it makes sense from a business point of view to guarantee 3500 cycles ( you do realise this is 9,5 years if you cycle your battery every day i hope ?)

Back