diy solar

diy solar

Uh, my training exercise...so far.

MrDan

Well I kept hearing a lot about solar and I thought I'd start playing around with it. I started out with a single Victron Multiplus II 3000, a Cerbo GX, a Lynx system (Shunt, bus, fuses), and 18 previously used e-bike batteries.

I found out that people who do conduit for a living and do it well have skills (thumbs up) and that I don't currently have those skills. But I did make do with some Flexible Steel Conduit and some NEMA "straight wireway" all courtesy of Zoro.com.

I currently have 9 Rec 330-watt panels with Tigo optimizers on them and the whole Tigo telemetry thing with the gateway, etc.

The real experience came from finding out how much LESS power I get on really cloudy days. The other day it was raining hard, and during the best part of the day my system was making 78 watts LOL. During sunny times I can get between 2500 - 3000 watts (I can't explain why it hits 3000 watts). On a good day at the end of August I was making about 10kwh. But if you run multiple things 24x7 off of your system, you begin to realize how 75 watts here and 150 watts there start to add up when they are constant sources of battery drain.

It's been a fun project and I've learned a lot. It still blows my mind that such a small area of panels can produce that much power...the sun rocks :)

IMG_0371.jpeg

Well I kept hearing a lot about solar and I thought I'd start playing around with it. I started out with a single Victron Multiplus II 3000, a Cerbo GX, a Lynx system (Shunt, bus, fuses), and 18 previously used e-bike batteries.

I found out that people who do conduit for a living and do it well have skills (thumbs up) and that I don't currently have those skills. But I did make do with some Flexible Steel Conduit and some NEMA "straight wireway" all courtesy of Zoro.com.

I currently have 9 Rec 330-watt panels with Tigo optimizers on them and the whole Tigo telemetry thing with the gateway, etc.

The real experience came from finding out how much LESS power I get on really cloudy days. The other day it was raining hard, and during the best part of the day my system was making 78 watts LOL. During sunny times I can get between 2500 - 3000 watts (I can't explain why it hits 3000 watts). On a good day at the end of August I was making about 10kwh. But if you run multiple things 24x7 off of your system, you begin to realize how 75 watts here and 150 watts there start to add up when they are constant sources of battery drain.

It's been a fun project and I've learned a lot. It still blows my mind that such a small area of panels can produce that much power...the sun rocks :)

View attachment 70603
That is a hell of a 'training exercise' !! :)

Back