diy solar

diy solar

Uk solar install 240v & 120v supplies required

Philtinks

We live full time in a Rockwood 5th wheel in the UK. 110/12v standard on the Rockwood UK mains 250v

On UK conversation they fit a transformer to supply 120v. I’m fitting lithium and a Victron inverter/charger 2000watt. However would a 240v Victron work sending 240v power to the transformer or should I fit a 2 Victron or a second inverter? For either of the power supplies?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil Tinker

You can feed 240 volt to a transformer to get 120 volt as long as the transformer is rated for it
(Most are btw)
What transformer is it though and I can check if you want
We live full time in a Rockwood 5th wheel in the UK. 110/12v standard on the Rockwood UK mains 250v

On UK conversation they fit a transformer to supply 120v. I’m fitting lithium and a Victron inverter/charger 2000watt. However would a 240v Victron work sending 240v power to the transformer or should I fit a 2 Victron or a second inverter? For either of the power supplies?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil Tinker

I don’t know the make but it’s large and fitted by the dealer on all their units. It works fine. If I install an inverter 12v to 240v. Does it make sense to then feed the transformer 240v to step it back down to 120v? Or fit a second inverter to feed 120v and cut out the transformer?

Thanks that’s what I though. Otherwise I’m stepping up from 12v to 240 to then drop back to 120 with all the losses.

What frequency is the power in the UK, 50Hz, or 60Hz? One possible solution would be to a split-phase 120/240V Radian, or XW+ that are designed to put out (or receive) both voltages. A more economical choice though might be a Conext 4024, which is also split-phase?

50Hz. I’ve see split phase wiring diagrams, I’ll check prices, thanks
Look at this link. It states the Conext can handle either 50 or 60Hz. Here's one important question. I'm assuming you are planning on running American appliances at 120V 60Hz in your UK RV? Is that correct? What I have no clue about is if the incoming 240V charger power is 50Hz, can the outgoing inverter power be 60Hz? I would assume if the inverter is switchable from 50-60Hz, then both the 240V incoming voltage and outgoing 120V would both have to be 50Hz. Will 50Hz 120VAC power inside work for you? Not for electric clocks I would think?

Interesting and I’d not thought of that. However in the uk they fit a transformer to step down 240v 50hz to 120v, will that change the Hz from 50 to 60? I don’t know.

Interesting and I’d not thought of that. However in the uk they fit a transformer to step down 240v 50hz to 120v, will that change the Hz from 50 to 60? I don’t know.
My gut feeling would be no, they don't change the Hz. In the past, when I have purchased transformers to convert from 240 to 120 when I went overseas, those simple iron-core transformers never changed the Hz. But, that was to power things like computers already rated for both 50/60Hz. For anything with an electric motor, say a kitchen blender, I can't tell you what will happen to it? Maybe the motor will just turn a little more slowly? Maybe the motor gets overheated and burns out? The best people to ask I guess would be the people already doing these adaptations?

I’ll ask on our UK Facebook group. The “transformed” 120v is used for ac, ceiling fan, microwave tv and battery 12v converter. A lot of people swap out the tv & microwave for uk 240v. I can say these items have worked ok over the 2 years since purchased. I usually turn off fuse for converter in summer to take full advantage of solar.

Back