diy solar

diy solar

Solar Pannel minium voltage

EtheomaOG

I'm looking at the Growatt SPF5000-ES 48V Inverter, but I am going to be living in a van and I can only fit 8 120W pannels which will only give me a Peak Voltage of 144V and the start up voltage for the inbuilt MPPT charge controller is 120V, will this be problemic espically considering I live in the UK where the vast majoirty of the days in the year I will not have ideal soalr conditions. I know I can just buy an indevidual MPPT charge controller, but it just seems like a waste.

And yes I know the 0 load power conumption is about 60W I only intent to run the induction hob, air fryer and active fryer off the inverter when not using those applience I mean to turn off the inverter and use a DC-DC 48 to 24V 600W step down converter or 2 with smaller 12 volt converters for appliences that need it, I know I will be losing some efficency for using 2 converters, but using 24V to get almost all the way to the load will reduce the need for lower gauge wire, and 24V 3A veriable stepdown converters can be bought for £10 for a pack of 8, so cost wise it's probably comparable just having a complete 12V system due to wiring gauge, but a 48V battery system allows for greater expansion down the road.

Although unless I move into a house the maxium I intent to expand to is a 6kW inverter, 200Ah 48V batteries and 1920W of solar with half of that being a solar awning which will be stored under the primery solar pannels when not in use, but we will see how we go and expand first if needed and second when I have the money, although at some point I do want a Victron inverter for the low 0 load draw.

Last edited:
144/8 comes to 18V which is basically 12V system panels.
If you haven't bought the panels yet, you can always buy 24V or higher voltage panels or buy different Wp panels for the same area.

With mounting not being optimal most likely flat on the roof you probably won’t have enough on good days even.
definitely find some higher voltage panels or a different aio

With mounting not being optimal most likely flat on the roof you probably won’t have enough on good days even.
definitely find some higher voltage panels or a different aio
Can you suggest another AIO that is equivlanty priced with at least 5kW output, like I don't need 6kW of solar even 3kW would be overkill. It's about £650 atm something with a volage rang of ~75 to ~225V would be fine.

Edit Ah don't worry I found another inverter with an opperating voltage of 60 to 115VDC GROWATT SPF 5000 TL HVM-P and if I go with larger, but fewer pannels I am comfortably far away from the max VOC of 145V with 129.6V and comfortably within voltage range with the nominal total voltage of 72V and a maxium opperating voltage of 108V, if I want to expand it later with a solar awening it will mean having to put it in parrelel rather than series which will mean the need for a combiner box and having to put the extra cablinig through the roof, but no biggy espically considering I don't even know if I will need it.

However I do live in the UK and do plan to use it during the winter... so probably yes, but we will see.

PS also it saves me like £50 in solar pannels and I get 6 x 170W = 1020W of solar vs 8 x 120 960W of solar which is a nice to have to, will have to see if it will fit ideally on the roof though... OOF that is why I went with the 120W because I could leave room for a venting fan on the roof while being able to occupy either side of it with solar pannels 3.3m length with 3x solar pannel length ways to use the largest amount of roof area without going off the edges. Might just have to go with a side vent which honetly is pretty sub optimal.

Last edited:
Can you suggest another AIO that is equivlanty priced with at least 5kW output,

55v PV minimum if that's helpful

I've got the 5500w one they don't seem to sell anymore ,

Edecoa are a passable brand, certainly not the best. But I am happy with mine

have any esperience with that particular inverter as it doesn't even have any reviews on the site, the growwatt has a few reviews on youtube and Growatt is a fairly reputable brand, the minium startup voltahe is real nice though.

have any esperience with that particular inverter as it doesn't even have any reviews on the site, the growwatt has a few reviews on youtube and Growatt is a fairly reputable brand, the minium startup voltahe is real nice though.
The Edecoa or the EPever?

Oh , yes.. the Edecoa with the low MPPT start up

You can get reviews for their stand alone inverters , the hybrids are relatively new on the market... these cheap hybrids (Inc growatt) are all a much of a muchness , which ever 'brand' you pick you're not getting tier 1 kit . None will last forever

Oh , yes.. the Edecoa with the low MPPT start up

You can get reviews for their stand alone inverters , the hybrids are relatively new on the market... these cheap hybrids (Inc growatt) are all a much of a muchness , which ever 'brand' you pick you're not getting tier 1 kit . None will last forever
Na im not expecting it to last forever, I do plan to go Victron eventually, but I'm building out the rest of the system first and I will need something to get by in the mean time, the 18W zero load draw on the 5kVA inverters is enough to make me want to go Victron add the 95-96% conversion efficeny and nevermind the extra reliablity, but monies, with the price of going with a standalone victron inverter and a MPPT charge controller which will be able to handle the expansions I want to do to the solar I could buy all my solar pannels for the starter system for the extra cost and have change to spare.

Just want something that I know wont blow up or start a fire within 2 - 3 years of usage while I built out the rest of the system, because right now I'm struggling to even go as far as I am with.

5kWAC 4kWDC hybrid inverter
1x 5.12kWh server rack battery.
885W solar

I want eventually
5kVA Victron inverter
2x 5.12kWh server rack batteries
2x Victron MPPT 150/35
2570W total of solar (885W roof solar + 885W deployable solar awning which will be stored under the primary roof solar and probably 2x 400W foldable solar pannels)

And yes the solar awning will be on a paralell string to a combiner box so that the solar roof will still work while the awning is stowed and the extra MPPT is for the fold out solar pannels because matching voltages would be an absolute pain in the a**, and the reason for such a large system for a van is I do plan to add a reversable heat pump so to run that even semi regularly I will need a relatively (for a van) beefy system.

Last edited:
Back