diy solar

diy solar

Unable to charge eg4 48 v battery with Growatt 3000 inverter. Using Handa 2000 watt generator

Bobshep

Unable to charge eg4 48v battery with Growatt 3000 inverter. Using Honda 2000 watt generator .

Is the generator overloading? Reduce the charging amps to 20 and try again.
Or describe the fault being presented.

Is the generator overloading? Reduce the charging amps to 20 and try again.
Or describe the fault being presented.
Generator is not overloading.
tried reducing charging amps.
Growwatt is seeing generator. Shows telephone pole icon with 126 volts but will not charge battery. Battery indicate 52.6 volts.

126v should be in range. Voltage will drop some as the Honda is loaded up.
May need a bonding plug if the GW is sensitive to having a neutral ground bond on the input.

Everything works on utility power?

126v should be in range. Voltage will drop some as the Honda is loaded up.
May need a bonding plug if the GW is sensitive to having a neutral ground bond on the input.

Everything works on utility power?
Have not tried hooking up to grid utility or solar panels. Only concern is generator charging.

Is it an eu2000i, or some other model? On the chance the growatt doesn't like the 126 volts, try adding a load like a space heater to pull the voltage down to see what happens.

I’m off the grid however tried setting charging to 10 amps, no help. Completely guessing, setting 12 is 51.2 volts (max), battery is at 52.6 volts. Perhaps battery voltage needs to be less than 51.2 volts?

Charging at 51.2 seems very low and will put nothing into a battery resting at 52.6 volts.
Normal charging would be closer to 56 volts afaik. 51.2 seems low even for float.

Maybe these settings need to be verified?
  1. Setting 01 set as Utl (The AC input charger from the util 40amp) will charge if you use UTL, but you must also set setting 14 to SNU (I used that you can choose CUT but I used SNU.
  2. Setting 02 put 10 amps (Once everything is fixed you can change back the values to the amp that matches your wires without surpassing 40amps the max for the AC input.)
  3. Setting 11 try 10 amps It could have been 5 or 15... I am suggesting low amps, I think it is best to go that way until you get to the next step.
  4. Setting 3, try GEN it is for a diesel generator but I have a natural gas gen, that setting worked for me worked for me.
One other thing... my charger stopped working when I started to do my parallel split phase config. The reason is that my inverter output was configured to output L1 + neutral to the Shed panel from inverter 1 and L2 + neutral from inverter 2. Ground wire also. The input and output must be using the same wire configuration. In a split phase 2 units you need 2 utility connections one per inverter.

Example on my system settings above and wires like below.

Wires:

Inverter 1
AC input from Generator, or the electrical panel or extension cord

AC Input:
Ground
L1
Neutral

AC Output:
Ground
L1
neutral

Inv 2
AC Input:
Ground
L2
Neutral

AC Output:
Ground
L2
neutral

You might have an other type of config, I don't know. The point is that AC input needs to match AC output. On the Generator if you use the wrong connector maybe like the 125/250 30amps with 4 pins on the connector, that may not be what you need compared to an other one like L10-30r? Use the type of connection you need based on the generator output capability and the input/output of the inverter. 240v use 125/250 30 amps 120 use L10 30amp for 120v I don't know how you connect to the generator I am guessing here.

Anyway I am not sure this will fix the issue but these are my settings and it works.

Thanks!

I see, try the settings above and let me know. Are you using 2 inverter for split phase? What type of connector + amp on the generator?

I can't recall but does utility in the AC input (no generator) works for you?

The generator is it a gas, diesel or propane, natural gas, what type of fuel?

Thanks!

I’m off the grid however tried setting charging to 10 amps, no help. Completely guessing, setting 12 is 51.2 volts (max), battery is at 52.6 volts. Perhaps battery voltage needs to be less than 51.2 volts?

This is your problem. The Growatt AC charger is like a tank float valve. ON below the voltage in setting 12 and OFF the moment it reaches the voltage in setting 13.

One other thing, for the ground I did nothing special, it passes through in the green wire and just make sure it is connected in the AC input and connected in the AC output of the generator. I did not use the ground on the generator to earth.

I did not do anything special else than making sure the green (ground wire) is terminated in the outlet on the gen and the ac in on the inverter.

Thanks!

Back