diy solar

diy solar

Units moderator. There should be a units moderator assigned.

My pet peeve about metric is our schools teaching the kids to measure with Centimeters
In industry we never use cm EVER. we use millimeter mm, meter m, and kilometer km.
A teacher told me they use cm because mm are so small kids don't relate to the units. - oh, well then best that they be lost day-one in every industry I guess!
In Australia, centimetres, metres and kilometres are the only measurements in general usage here (ugh I hate the spell checker here, it keeps chucking a wobbly about our 'proper' spellings lol) it's re- not er...

I work with architectural and engineering drawings every day.
Elevations are all in xxx.xxx meters and three decimals of a meter above mean sealevel.
95% of all measured drawings I see are in mm - even a mine building that was 160,000 mm long is shown in mm.
if we had a mix of cm and mm on plans it wouldn't be hard to make a mistake. But meters & mm there is no way to make a mistake.
if we did try to use cm, the measure is too rough, for industry, you would still need to add a decimal "36.8cm" (the spacing blocks between joists and trusses LOL)

3.14159265357 is about all I remember. Apparently I'm a couple digit's short of NASA's requirements, and my brain has suffered some parity errors.

Considering that ever mission requires a few unexpected ΔV burns, space flight is not an exact science.
A high percentage of flyby's (gravity assists) have unexplained anomolies and require an extra ΔV burn after the flyby.
Other than math, I am not aware of any science that requires a highly accurate value of PI.

I work with architectural and engineering drawings every day.
Elevations are all in xxx.xxx meters and three decimals of a meter above mean sealevel.
95% of all measured drawings I see are in mm - even a mine building that was 160,000 mm long is shown in mm.
if we had a mix of cm and mm on plans it wouldn't be hard to make a mistake. But meters & mm there is no way to make a mistake.
if we did try to use cm, the measure is too rough, for industry, you would still need to add a decimal "36.8cm" (the spacing blocks between joists and trusses LOL)
I did say 'in general public use'...
Yes in the trades we use mm/m/km (my property for example is measured in metres on the council plans, but its pretty small for the area at only 16 hectares (40 acres), many of the farms around here have their boundaries in km with decimal points eg 5.345km is accurate down to the metre- but in surveying they go down to the mm here, which makes the council plans for a big property have ridiculously large numbers on them, as they will literally show a multi km boundary length in mm- see we got stupid bureaucrats as well lol)- our plans for solar gridtie installs use mm for example

And how do you measure mean sea level to 1mm of accuracy, with waves and tides and so on ?

Someone could pee into the ocean, and mess up all your figures.
Lets see!
Google says the area of the worlds' oceans is approx 361,000,000 sqkm
so to raise mean sea level 1mm you need to pee ...361,000,000,000 cubic meters (or 361,000,000,000,000 litres)
I think you drink to much!

• Wow
Reactions: Bop
3.14 is close enough for non technical stuff. Most people can remember that.

Let's check!
you are building a silo 30 feet in diameter x 1 foot wall thickness x 30 feet tall.
The foreman asks you to order the concrete to fill the form, but don't get too much (it is expensive) or be short!
you use 3.14 x 30 x 1 x 30 and get 2,826 cuft of concrete.
the 'actual' volume is 3.1415926 x 30 x1 x30 = 2,827.43
and you are only short 1.43 cuft of concrete.
{and since it is sold in cu yds, you actually needed 104.7 and rounded up to 105 cyds and had enough either way!}

Lets see!
Google says the area of the worlds' oceans is approx 361,000,000 sqkm
so to raise mean sea level 1mm you need to pee ...361,000,000,000 cubic meters (or 361,000,000,000,000 litres)
I think you drink to much!
Every drop counts.

And its not just me !!!!!

There are now almost eight billion other people peeing into the ocean as well.

Last edited:

And how do you measure mean sea level to 1mm of accuracy, with waves and tides and so on ?

How do you measure the temperature of the Earth to 1/10th of a degree?

From Death Valley to Antarctica, from 4th of July to Christmas ...

How do you measure the temperature of the Earth to 1/10th of a degree?

From Death Valley to Antarctica, from 4th of July to Christmas ...
Easy.
With a thermometer with 1/10 degree resolution.

But I have yet to see a marine acoustic fathometer with 1mm resolution.

Helmsman to captain:
"Aye Captain, 183.1473 fathoms under the Keel to seven digit resolution"

Architect to builder:
Revise those plans, an approaching asteroid has modified sea level by 2mm in your area.
That concrete you just laid, will need to be removed and replaced.

Last edited:
They use designated tide stations and laser altimeters from space combined with special satellites used for gathering average ocean levels on an ongoing basis.
I know how it works, I spent two years living at weather stations in the Antarctic that also monitored sea levels.
But I find it amusing that you can average out a more or less random and confused twenty foot ocean swell to +/- 1mm of accuracy.

Back