diy solar

diy solar

Units moderator. There should be a units moderator assigned.

Yeah, it is a struggle at times.
Metric should make construction so much easier - try adding up a long string of dimension in Imperial units (feet, inches, fractions) compared to the same long string all in mm. Yeah, I will go have a coffee and come back in half an hour.

I have seen a ton of wasteful use of material as a consequence, instead of the wall lines being some even value in terms of sheet sizes, they will show even numbers in metric that will result in cutting every sheet of plywood, drywall and foam on an entire building, for absolutely no gain.
Worked on many Government buildings, on a few they decided to have "metric ceiling tiles 500mm x 1500mm" - so where did these come from? - yeah the supplier (in USA) re-ran 2.5'x5' commerical tiles through the cutting room to make custom 500 x 1500 tiles for that 300,000 sqft building, at nearly double the per sqft cost of standard tiles. So how do you get a replacement tile later?

And where will the Tee-bar material come from for a 500x1500 ceiling?
YUP - they just re-ran the normal bar through the slot cutters with the new spacing right beside the original slots, to make it a guess for the installer to know "which of these two slots, a few mm apart are the right ones?
But wait! it gets better!
How will the electrician find 1500mm light fixtures to fit that tee-bar grid?
yup, the lights came to the job 1'x4' rivetted into a prefinished white blank-off sheet cut 500mmx1500mm just to fit the grid.
Yah can't make this stuff up people.
Lucky thing, they stopped doing this insanity after a few of these gov office towers were built, and the facilities managers saw the cost/conseqences.

In 2012, Ontario, in it's infinitesimal wisdom did a even dumber thing with metric conversions, they made the "barrier free" minimum door width 930mm
without checking how doors are actually sold. Doors are multiples of 2" increments. You buy a 36" door, or you buy a 38" door. But 930mm is more than 36" (exactly converted 36" is 914.4mm) so all across Ontario (and no other Province or US State that I know of) we must use 38" wide doors instead of 36" wide to meet the new barrier free accessibility requirements. And yes since 36" is standard commercial size, so we pay a premium.

I am all for making public buildings barrier free, but is Ontario's population 2" wider than everywhere else in N.America??
I saw an out of Province Architect design a school built by an out of Province contractor, install 200 36" wide doors - later to fail occupancy inspections...for 14mm "too narrow" to meet code. Offset hinges to the rescue!

I will say, using both systems daily my whole life, I can freely convert between the two systems in my head, and know all the standard sizes of construction items in both units without thinking about it, making it easy to understand our EU/UK/AU/NZ members just as easily as our US neighbours. Were Canadians, we get along with everyone. ok, we try to. LOL.

{rant over, please return to your regular DIY Solar postings}
Australia went through that back in the 1960's and 1970's, but as EVERYONE went metric (including the suppliers) in the end, it all worked out fine and now you want a 2400x1200 sheet, just order it (you can still even get the old imperial stuff if you want for reno's etc- but its more expensive than the metric sheets)- and because everything is in metric (rather than 'converted imperial') it all works seamlessly with no cutting or waste involved- you put your studs in at the required distances and the seams of the plasterboard fall right on them

but as EVERYONE went metric (including the suppliers) in the end, it all worked out fine

So, you're saying - its our Giant export customer next door's fault? - they should go metric so we can too? LOL :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Everything on a car made in the USA is metric, but we sell them wood & plywood cut to imperial dimensions.

So, you're saying - its our Giant export customer next door's fault? - they should go metric so we can too? LOL :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Everything on a car made in the USA is metric, but we sell them wood & plywood cut to imperial dimensions.

Too Funny

& Ya the tax payers will just pick up the tab.

This reply is exactly what I was thinking, but maybe one needs to be “Canadian” to truly understand our perspective.

We live in a culture that just seems normal to us & probably do more conversions in our head ,,, because we have had to ,,, it is truly how you put it “like being unit bilingual”. There must be other Countries out there that are similar to us and are fluent in Imperial & Metric 🤷‍♂️? For us it is just normal 14L/100KM or 20 Miles/USG. 60MPH or 100KPH.

I got a kick outta your last post on the doors, until I cried about the wasted tax money. As Contractors, we just attempt to fix that garbage spec / design prior to building ,,, hopefully with a change order.

To Canadians 25.4 or 3.78 or (X-32)x5/9 or 2.2 etc are just stored in our heads. You know what they are @OffGridForGood ,,, Watts BTUs again 😁.

Last edited:
it all works seamlessly with no cutting or waste involved- you put your studs in at the required distances and the seams of the plasterboard fall right on them
We do too!
16 inches and 24 inches on centre, and the sheet goods fit perfectly, and the insulation fits between the framing. LOL. even if the drawing shows the wall 3244mm long, and 2400 high it will be built 10-foot 7-3/4" long and 8 feet tall. *actually 97-1/8" tall to allow for ceiling drywall and 8' wall sheets with a gap at the floor, LOL. just can't win.

That's the thing though- metric is what most of the world uses, and there are only a few holdouts... Canada is using 'both', as is the UK,and only three are still using the old 'hogsheads per furlong' imperial measurements exclusively lol

1708215048314.png

The US really doesn't export that much outside of north America- here in Australia for example the US is right down at only 12% of our imports come from there (combined, Japan and Thailand actually export more to Australia than the US does...)
1708215246781.png
1708215320995.png

That's the thing though- metric is what most of the world uses, and there are only a few holdouts... Canada is using 'both', as is the UK,and only three are still using the old 'hogsheads per furlong' imperial measurements exclusively lol

View attachment 196294

The US really doesn't export that much outside of north America- here in Australia for example the US is right down at only 12% of our imports come from there (combined, Japan and Thailand actually export more to Australia than the US does...)
View attachment 196295
View attachment 196296
Hey!
we like measuring density in Stone per acre-foot ! what's it too ya!!

Hey!
we like measuring density in Stone per acre-foot ! what's it too ya!!
Nothing- but it does limit your export markets when you make stuff to the imperial measurements lol

Back when I was an apprentice many, many, many moons ago, US made tools were often bought, but with most being imperial only, and there being extremely few cars with imperial sized bolts etc on them still left on the roads, new apprentices don't even look at US made tools any more- German made is the 'go to' for quality tools...

(you know you are getting old when the new cars you drooled over (and didn't have a hope in hell of buying) when you were looking at buying your first car, are now rented out for weddings and running on 'historical' club rego plates...)

:cry:

1708216354661.png

And what diameter are the Rims on those cars...

Nope,
22/7 is wrong at the third decimal place! 355/113 is wrong at the 7th
not that we ever need this much accuracy generally - but math is fun.
Yup, I realized I was off as I typed it, went back and corrected myself, but you had already quoted my oopsie.

Nah, that’s not it… it will usually work, but it will not be a quality install. Unless everything happened to be oob ready…
OOB ready is what meant. I forgot to mention that they will install a split system as a window unit but the customer will have to open the window for them.

3.14159265357 is about all I remember. Apparently I'm a couple digit's short of NASA's requirements, and my brain has suffered some parity errors.

My pet peeve about metric is our schools teaching the kids to measure with Centimeters
In industry we never use cm EVER. we use millimeter mm, meter m, and kilometer km.
A teacher told me they use cm because mm are so small kids don't relate to the units. - oh, well then best that they be lost day-one in every industry I guess!

And what diameter are the Rims on those cars...

Nope,
22/7 is wrong at the third decimal place! 355/113 is wrong at the 7th
not that we ever need this much accuracy generally - but math is fun.
Rims and tyres are one of the very few things left that are (partially) in imperial- but many younger people don't even know the diameter is in inches (the width and rolling diameter is in mm)- they often think it is just a 'size'- like buying a size 6 shoe versus buying a size 8...
Like the tyres I bought for the Corolla whn I first bought it- they are 195/13/70 tyres- the width is in mm, the rim size is in inches, and the height is a ratio of width to height...

3.14159265357 is about all I remember. Apparently I'm a couple digit's short of NASA's requirements, and my brain has suffered some parity errors.

and now you can calculate the circumference of earth's orbit to a fraction of a mm-well if the orbit was a circle, which it isn't but likely you don't need this much acuracy in everyday life. LOL

Back