diy solar

diy solar

UPS Question

firmani99

Hi guys! I am new here but have been watching a lot of Will's videos. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but I was wondering if there is a thread or recommendations on building a large UPS system. Either whole house or for several circuits. I do not have space for solar but would love to be able to DIY either a whole home "UPS" or many smaller reasonable sized ones. I understand the battery portion of it but are there any recommended inverter/charges for this? Thanks!

What is your instantaneous peak load in watts?
What is your required battery capacity in watt hours?

Welcome to the party firmani99.
Sounds like a good idea. Do you know how much power you want to save? That info will be needed when it comes time to choose an inverter/charger.
You should get quite a few recommendations here.

Thanks All! I am debating whether to try to back up most of my home with 10,000-12,000 watts and maybe a 20K watt/hour battery bank or maybe do a couple of smaller 1,500 watt system on critical loads themselves. It would depend on the pricing of the inverters and other associated gear. I guess at this point i am just looking for recommendations of some inverters that could do this without solar being the primary charge method. AS far as cutover time, it would be nice to be instantaneous but not 100% necessary.

Do you want 120/240VAC or just 120VAC?
For 1500 watts 120VAC is likely your only option.
For 12000 watts 120/240VAC is the way to go.

Last edited:
I have the same Question.
Split Phase 208V 50 Amp load continous.
Any Uninterrupted UPS recomended?

I have the same Question.
Split Phase 208V 50 Amp load continous.
Any Uninterrupted UPS recomended?
The U in UPS stands for Uninterrupted.
Are you looking for a turn key UPS or DIY?
AFAIK 208Volts usually comes from 3 phase(wye) line to line.
Would 120/240VAC split phase suffice?

Last edited:
The U in UPS stands for Uninterrupted.
Are you looking for a turn key UPS or DIY?
AFAIK 208Volts usually comes from 3 phase(wye) line to line.
Would 120/240VAC split phase suffice?
Hey, Yes. 20/240VAC split phase . Looking for Turnkey UPS.

Then posting in the home brew electronics section is not really appropriate if you are in the market for a commercial high dollar out of the box turn key system.

Back