diy solar

diy solar

Using an essential load subpanel while the grid is still on?

ozman

Is this okay? I know power is not being fed back into the grid, as the switches prevent the hot wires from feeding back to the main panel, but the all the neutrals are tied together and tied to the main panel. Is this okay using an off grid inverter like the EG4 6000xp to feed these circuits while the grid is still on? Technically not mixing power, but the neutrals still being tied to the grid would make me a little nervous. Using a connecticut electric 30A manual transfer switch kit like this - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Connecticut-Electric-7500-Watt-Generator-Transfer-Switch-Kit/50446036.

Is this okay? I know power is not being fed back into the grid, as the switches prevent the hot wires from feeding back to the main panel, but the all the neutrals are tied together and tied to the main panel. Is this okay using an off grid inverter like the EG4 6000xp to feed these circuits while the grid is still on? Technically not mixing power, but the neutrals still being tied to the grid would make me a little nervous. Using a connecticut electric 30A manual transfer switch kit like this - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Connecticut-Electric-7500-Watt-Generator-Transfer-Switch-Kit/50446036.
No problem at all.

Is there any scenario of “creative wiring” somewhere in my house someone may have done over the years that could possibly cause a problem? I don’t know, but backfeeding something maybe? I can’t think of anything, but just wanna make sure. If so, a setup like this can reduce your electric bill, even with a strictly off grid inverter, right? I was just gonna use it as a backup when the power goes out, but I guess it could save me some money if I use it on a few circuits all the time and maybe pay for itself after a while? Still would be a little hesitant to do it and just use it as an emergency backup.

Is there any scenario of “creative wiring” somewhere in my house someone may have done over the years that could possibly cause a problem?
Only if somehow, somewhere, two circuits are tied together.
And one of them is left on grid. While the other is switched to the inverter.

This can be checked.
By verifying that everything in the house is only fed by one circuit. (Switching breakers off one at a time)

I'm powering my fridge, freezer, lights, and well pump with exactly this kind of setup right now. Rest of the house is still on grid. No issues.

I did have the entire house rewired when this was done, so I know there's no funky wiring, but yes that could be a concern if you're not sure about the wiring in your own house.

When we put the sub panel in, I took a few hours and wrote down everything that was on every circuit in the house so I could plan what circuits would be in the essentials panel, and nothing repeated on another circuit so u guess I’m good. Township would prolly hassle me for permits if I tried to put up panels permanently and I just don’t wanna do all that right now, so I’ll just use it as a backup. Pretty cool how the new eg4 6000xp has that generator input so I’ll plug the generator into that and run through the inverter. Next I gottta figure out how to rig the electric start to it so it automatically starts the generator when the batteries get low. Such cool stuff out now, and available!

Back