diy solar

diy solar

Using DC fridge with AC converter

MudBuilder

I'm trying to decide between a couple fridges made by Unique. I already have grid power, but would like to stay energy efficient and also be able to use my backup power when needed (Goal Zero 1500W Yeti). Unique makes DC fridges that have an AC converter to plug into the grid. They claim this is safe to do full time with no damage to the appliance. It looks like the DC unit is much more energy efficient than the AC models.

I'm wondering what you think about this plan. Or should I get the AC fridge and size a solar system to handle the load for the future when I convert the whole house to solar. Do you think the AC fridge will be more reliable and colder? Or should I get the DC fridge if I can to save on energy costs and be able to back it up with my solar when the grid goes down?

I run an engel DC fridge in my camper and it comes with an A/C adapter. it is much more efficient on DC as you have no losses when you are running it on DC. It is more efficient as you have no inverter losses... when you run it on A/C I bet its not much different.

I have one of the Unique DC refrigerators. This one --> https://uniqueappliances.com/product/9-cu-ft-solar-powered-dc-refrigerator/
I got it from Costco a couple of years ago. Costco doesn't sell it any more. It runs on 12VDC or 24VDC. And it does get cold just like a regular AC fridge. My bluetooth thermometer is showing 35F in the fridge and 8F in the freezer right now. One problem I've encountered is that it ices up in the refrigerator quite often. It doesn't have a built in defroster. I guess a lot of the smaller refrigerators are like this. The other thing is that it doesn't cool very fast. If I were to put a 24 pack of Coke in the fridge, it will raise the temperature for several hours before it begins to cool down, and then several more hours to reach the ideal temperature. It only uses about 50 watts of power when the compressor is running. It's very economical.

Unique makes DC fridges that have an AC converter to plug into the grid. They claim this is safe to do full time with no damage to the appliance.
BTW, that's just a brick power supply. Plug it in to the mains and you get 24VDC out.

I'm trying to decide between a couple fridges made by Unique. I already have grid power, but would like to stay energy efficient and also be able to use my backup power when needed (Goal Zero 1500W Yeti). Unique makes DC fridges that have an AC converter to plug into the grid. They claim this is safe to do full time with no damage to the appliance. It looks like the DC unit is much more energy efficient than the AC models.

I'm wondering what you think about this plan. Or should I get the AC fridge and size a solar system to handle the load for the future when I convert the whole house to solar. Do you think the AC fridge will be more reliable and colder? Or should I get the DC fridge if I can to save on energy costs and be able to back it up with my solar when the grid goes down?
We run a standard 120v 4.5cu ft refrigerator in our camper trailer 24/7 all year round - its very little power. I watched a lot of youtubes before building my trailer - and it seems like DC vs AC is not really the issue. The main issue is size/features vs power consumption. DC fridges tend to be quite small so naturally they are light on power. Just do a careful apples to apples comparison.

One advantage of a 'regular' 120v fridge is price / easy-replacement :)

If VA=W and it does.
24v 24w = 1a
24v 48w = 2a
24v 96w = 4a
24v 192w = 8a
24v 384w = 16a

Anything beyond 360 watts will require larger than the normal 14 gauge wiring. (If you are using 24vdc)
I made my house a normal house. I didn't want a funky mix of wiring and I don't want it to be like an RV in any way. May cost more but it makes my OCD subside. Whatever you decide will be the best for your situation. GOOD JOB!

So Unique said that when you use the AC converter on a DC fridge, it consumes just as much energy as a regular AC fridge.

The only advantage of getting the DC now would be that I can back it up with my Goal Zero generator when I need to without draining the battery quickly. The AC fridge is slightly bigger (12cu. ft. as opposed to 10). With my family of 5, I'm leaning towards space! Also, Wayfair can ship it for free to my door! All enticing factors, but I feel guilty for ditching my off-grid values!

Now there are portable refrigerators that can use AC and DC cord, fridge comes with these cords. Like as my Setpower portable fridge.
Setpower fridge

1652339115154.png

Back