diy solar

diy solar

AC vs DC fridges for off-grid use

Sounds like you only have very part time experience with propane vs my full time 24/7 14 years and oddly for a solar forum, you have no experience with using solar power and an electric fridge. And you are young enough and wealthy enough to overlook all the negatives of propane appliances and to deal with the hassle of getting propane to a part time cabin. Hopefully the health of you and your family is also not one day compromised by propane's toxicity. Then there is the horrid environmental and carbon cost of propane that you are also ignoring. Again very weird in a solar forum but not so weird for Northern Canada, I guess.

12 years of developing my off grid cabin is enough to know what works for me.
Full stop!!!!
Good luck using your system ??

No soot from our refrigerator. No problems with spoilage.

We use propane to heat water and cook food. In order to get a house loan, we had to have installed a space heater using propane but we have not used it except for testing.

Pilot lights on all of them.

One of the nearest neighbor's, just about a mile down the road had a propane refrigerator. It leaked, started a fire, and almost burned down their cabin.

I can't name a single person that I've ever heard of that had a fire start at their electric frig.

We had a block of flats burn down in London the other year, caused by a faulty fridge , 72 people died

really like to go for that DC Friobat chest fridge and delay the purchase of an inverter to when I'm able to afford it. The only problem I found is that I won't be able to use my HP printer without an inverter.
I didn’t read all 30 pages of the thread.
I have a 7.8? cubic foot top freezer 120VAC fridge. At $215?? ish I paid, there was plenty leftover to add panels and have an inverter as opposed to the DC fridges at ~$1400 or so.

I’d study up on that. Plus replacing a $200-$250 fridge as opposed to $1500 fridge seems way more economically appealing to me.
deal with the hassle of getting propane to a part time cabin. Hopefully the health of you and your family is also not one day compromised by propane's toxicity
You’re doing something wrong. Don’t buy open flame heaters. Occasions of cooking with propane aren’t going to be toxic especially if one provides exhaust fan venting like they should.

Again very weird in a solar forum but not so weird for Northern Canada, I guess.

I guess you're going to need some serious heating up there just to stay alive!

Just how bad is propane burnt without extraction? We have a propane cooker in our house, no extraction, the air in the kitchen does get stuffy when we're cooking

Just how bad is propane burnt without extraction? We have a propane cooker in our house, no extraction, the air in the kitchen does get stuffy when we're cooking
Likely it's pretty bad.

I listen to a lot energy related podcasts and several have talked about IAQ (indoor air quality) in homes with gas stoves regularly being way above what is considered healthy. Below is a piece from NPR about it. I have a 100lb propane cylinder (22 gallons) dedicated to the stove and we normally get almost a year out of it. About ~.5 gallons per week getting burned. I believe a propane fridge uses 1 to 2 gallons per week.

The most common pollutants from gas stoves are nitrogen dioxide (NO2), carbon monoxide and formaldehyde. Advocates now are mostly focused on NO2, which the Environmental Protection Agency says is a toxic gas that even in low concentrations can trigger breathing problems for people with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Likely it's pretty bad.

I listen to a lot energy related podcasts and several have talked about IAQ (indoor air quality) in homes with gas stoves regularly being way above what is considered healthy. Below is a piece from NPR about it. I have a 100lb propane cylinder (22 gallons) dedicated to the stove and we normally get almost a year out of it. About ~.5 gallons per week getting burned. I believe a propane fridge uses 1 to 2 gallons per week.

The most common pollutants from gas stoves are nitrogen dioxide (NO2), carbon monoxide and formaldehyde. Advocates now are mostly focused on NO2, which the Environmental Protection Agency says is a toxic gas that even in low concentrations can trigger breathing problems for people with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Right well I best sort some extraction out....

The big 100lb bottles (47kg here) last us about 2 months of cooking.

So we're burning about 2lb a week

Right well I best sort some extraction out....

The big 100lb bottles (47kg here) last us about 2 months of cooking.

So we're burning about 2lb
Wow, that seems out of place compared to our house hold of three.

Standing pilot light? Or big family?

I've got some temporary extraction sorted, going to get something more permanent when I can.

We've got health/breathing problems in the house so all the propane fumes probably haven't been helping haha !

piece from NPR
Oh brother. NPR can do some quality stuff but on energy and social issues they are totally on the political bandwagon.
YES there is/are ‘pollutants’ from burning propane. Yes some people are affected. But think about it: there’s 60-80 years of people using gas stoves without statistically significant consequences.
The news lies, science doesn’t. But like with statistics one can use partial information to lie stating “the science .”
This gas cooking stove thing is not based in practical, empirical reality. Nevertheless, running the range hood / powered vent is still a good idea on water vapor reasoning alone. Water vapor is the primary product of burning propane. At the perfect 4-5% depending on elevation propane emmisions are fairly innocuous. The current ‘ban propane’ thing that has taken off and is going viral in the last six weeks is truth wrapped in lies
Just how bad is propane burnt without extraction?
The ppm risk is variable depending on square footage and ventilation. If the flame is adjusted for the locale’s air there is little to no dangerous byproduct like CO.

Oh brother. NPR can do some quality stuff but on energy and social issues they are totally on the political bandwagon.
I dare not dive down a political discussion.

But I will offer the that there's an ever growing zero carbon movement and the oft offered solution is "decarbonizing" residences and businesses by switching them to all electric. Some of those same folks hold the IAQ studies up as evidence.

And I think heat pumps are great but no one's is touching the calamity that is awaiting entire states during the coldest few hours of the year when the heat pumps can no long pump heat and all of those resistance strips start kicking in. A typical house will go from needing ~2KW to 10kW or even 20kW. Yikes

And I think heat pumps are great but no one's is touching the calamity that is awaiting entire states during the coldest few hours of the year when the heat pumps can no long pump heat and all of those resistance strips start kicking in. A typical house will go from needing ~2KW to 10kW or even 20kW. Yikes
Running a homestead, I'm acutely aware that I'm 20 miles up a dirt road, so when something goes wrong, I need my own backups. And I have backups for the backups. Cus nobody is going to show up to bail me out of trouble.

I think last year's Texas cold crisis is the perfect example of an "all electric" "all your eggs in one basket" is a really bad idea.

Propane has almost no contaminants in it; natural gas has many. So a story that deals with "gas stoves" and doesn't differentiate between the two products is a poor source of information.
Would you be able provide any references to support that statement?

dare not dive down a political discussion
Don’t misunderstand- I wasn’t going for a political discussion.
Regardless of what side of the aisle one stands, in the USA and from observation worldwide there is this politically driven environmental movement that forcefully promotes ‘green’ and other parallel dichotomies without consideration for actual science or the impacts to the citizenry and world populations as a whole. Even if they’re correct in the end, giving broken science and other illogical reasons as justification for mandated behavior is dangerous and smells corrupt.

Creating a future world with a better environment is noble and we should do that, I support it (I’m here, right?) but the political motivation to draconianly eliminate propane cooking stoves (among other things) with dubious science as the reasoning is insane regardless of one’s chosen political association.
Absurdity within politics in general is ALWAYS based in corruption. And corruption doesn’t serve the populace. Anywhere.

Back