diy solar

diy solar

Using my Hyundai ioniq5 as a battery extender

mdelrossi

Hello,
we've had a couple of power outages recently and have been able to get through them by using our Using my Hyundai ioniq5 and Vehicle to load adapter to power the fridge, well pump, a couple of lights. However we can only get 1800 watts out of the adapter, and sometimes the fridge and well pump cycle at the same time and the inverter in the car need to reset.

I know we need to get a more permanent solution , one with far less extension cords ;), so is it possible to use the Hyundai and its 1800 watts to extend/charge the battery of a EG4 or Growatt inverter with an 11KW battery?
So when the house needs more than 1800W it pulls it from the Inverter/battery combo, then when the demand subsides, the inverter/battery combo charges from the Hyundai.

does that make any sense?
thanks for your input. Great channel BTW.

mdr

I have a thread here somewhere on V2L with EGMP cars in North America that covers it. On phone so too hard to find.

What you have in mind makes a lot of sense. My favorite way to do it, theoretically, is via DC coupling through a Chargeverter, since it has the most compatibility for cheap AIO and complex setups and safety to the car for complex setups. As well it does not require the AIO or hybrid to have the right grid assist capability.

Plus if you have an inverter that obligatorily needs 240v in for charging you have no hope to AC couple with the 120v V2L without adding a transformer, and at that point (investment and complexity) you could consider DC coupling anyway.

The downside to DC coupling is that you have double conversion loss. But the EV battery is huge so it’s a whatever to me. YMMV

Might be better to aggregate the disc on that thread since there are some other users that actually own the car. I don’t have it yet.

I have a thread here somewhere on V2L with EGMP cars in North America that covers it.
Thanks, I read through it.

So at this time an AC/DC Chargeverter to the solar input on the EG4/ Growatt seems the best method, or just split the electrical panel and use the car for lights and shut and an inverter/battery combo for the rest?

thanks
brave new world

Best is always qualified by initial conditions, constraints, and requirements. Very difficult for me to say anything meaningfully general here…

The chargeverter connects to the battery DC bus, same with any other DC coupling of a charge controller into an existing inverter setup.

Splitting an electrical panel is probably doable too, you would need multiple transfer switches or interlocked subpanels configured to do the same. And the working space to lay out the two critical loads panels in a code compliant way.

If one already had a premium 120V inverter with grid assist or a 120/240 inverter with grid assist and autotransformer to do the step up then maybe piggybacking off grid assist that beats the chargeverter for some use cases/implementation speed. If there is no AC coupled solar this is pretty darn safe for the car

Some people are cool with lots of extension cords when on emergency power and for those people all of the above is overkill.

The situation I’m interested in is using the car to drive my central heat pump (or at least the blower). That is a 240V appliance so the minimum I need to do anything is an autotransformer and interlock/inlet combination.

I would get about 60 hours of runtime with heat pump heating and way longer if using blower to recirculate from the gas backup heat I have in one rooms.

Feels like the well pump is the troublemaker in your setup. An inverter fridge is a soft ish load.

Anything with a directly powered AC motor is probably likely to hose the car inverter. My freezers (non inverter) are the worst critical appliances I own wrt emergency power.

Welp, It works!
So I went with 2 Delta Pros, for the portability, we might be moving at sometime in the next year.
I got a 90v 16amp switching power supply and some xt60 connectors. hooked them up to the V2L adapter and my Ioniq 5 is now an additional 77KW battery!
I get about 700watts of charge per a delta pro so that will definitely recharge them overnight. Our total household usage in an emergency is around 8Kwh per day

So I will be using 2 Delta Pros combined with either the 240 adapter or the Ecoflow smart panel , TBD, and my car as a power source to charge the EF's at night if we need to.

thanks again for your help.

Sweet!

How does overnight charging compare with keeping those on V2L all the time? I guess there could be time limit or lower car side efficiency from doing that instead of pulling at close to full capacity.

Sweet!

How does overnight charging compare with keeping those on V2L all the time? I guess there could be time limit or lower car side efficiency from doing that instead of pulling at close to full capacity.
Not sure yet, still need the electrician to put in an inlet and interlock. Or I might just have to do it myself.?
not sure how long the cars inverter will push 15 amps, I guess I’ll find out. If it can’t handle it, I can switch between the 2 delta pros charging. Then get the proper chargeverter and limit the draw.
but the proof of concept was a success.

Back