diy solar

diy solar

Using my Renogy 200W 12v suitcase to power my Jackery Explorer 300

y0bailey

Solar Enthusiast
I was recently gifted a Jackery Explorer 300. I would love to bring it off-grid camping with our tiny pop-up camper, and I already have the Renogy 200W 12V foldable solar panel setup to keep the camper topped off.

I've already read about bypassing the Renogy controller, easy stuff as my panels already have that wired up....BUT the max watts the Jackery can handle IN is 90w...so I can't use my solar panels "as is" with the adapter to charge the Jackery.

I've thought of a few things to try.
#1) Literally just cover 1/2 of the panels with cardboard to block the sun, thus not delivering >90 watts to the Jackery. This is "so dumb it works"...but obvious drawbacks of someone removing the cardboard and delivering >90 watts potentially damaging the Jackery.

bypass-renogy-solar-charge-controller-the-camping-nerd-1.jpg
#2) I need to get home and look at my panels in person (to see if they are wired in series or parallel...I've read conflicting info on the internet), but could I just splice connectors into the cable running from panel #1 to panel #2, and run that directly to the Jackery? Then just connect them back together when I want the full 200W for the RV? I could probably keep panel #2 charging the RV if that were the case as well.

Any input would be appreciated!

If you pop open the junction box in the back and measure it, it will likely be 20 volts each across the diode. Then just measure the voltage at the clips. If the voltage is twice the panel at the clips, it’s in series. If it’s the same at the clips, it’s in parallel.

My bet is it will be in parallel.

If the voltage across the panel is greater than 30 volts, that would be rare.

Looking at rating as printed on the sticker, they are connected in parallel.
18Vmp x (5.56Imp x 2) = 200W.
This panel is made for 12V sysytem.

Looking at rating as printed on the sticker, they are connected in parallel.
18Vmp x (5.56Imp x 2) = 200W.
This panel is made for 12V sysytem.
So then my plan to tap into the connector between panel #1 and #2 would work, and leave both a functioning 100W towards the RV battery and an appropriate amount of wattage towards the Jackery?

Then reconnect my spliced in MC4 connectors when I want the full 200W for the RV.

Looking at the specs of the Renogy controller it could handle that?

Thanks for the help. I understand this stuff just enough to be dangerous.

Last edited:
Where did you see that the max input is 90W?
@9:00 mark
According to this video, it is limited to 125W, you can use the Renogy 200W in this original parallel and the Jackery will limit to 125W.

View attachment 125924
From the tech specs on the jackery website.

After watching that video I'm just going to leave things as is and give it a whirl. If I'm causing shut downs I'll have to give my splice plan a shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221223-065235.png
    Screenshot_20221223-065235.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 5
The Jackery will just going draw what it needs from the panels up to the max spec of the Jackery, so I expect you to see about 125W at most.
Just do a follow-up on it, and make sure the Voltage polarity is correct before connecting the Renogy to the Jackery, wrong polarity will cause damage if there is no reverse polarity protection in the Jackery.

Last edited:
Back