diy solar

diy solar

Using wood/plank/barge as mounting rails for solar panels on the roof.

kje

Is there any issues with using wood/plank/barge as mounting rails for solar panels on the roof? It's much cheaper but it's almost no one using it. Is there a reason not to use it?

I found just one guy on YouTube using it:

I used treated lumber for my roof mounted solar panels. Some things that you have to consider.
1. It won't meet code.
2. You will have to ground each panel individually.
3. You will need a barrier between the aluminum frames and the treated lumber. Or the treatment will destroy the aluminum.
4. You need good air flow under the panels to keep temperatures as low as possible.

Is there any issues with using wood/plank/barge as mounting rails for solar panels on the roof? It's much cheaper but it's almost no one using it. Is there a reason not to use it?

I found just one guy on YouTube using it:
I am using split treated lumber decking boards. These bolted to DIY metal mounts, attached to a metal roof. Panels on right side already in place have held strong (50kt-60kt winds).

IMG_2079.jpg

I used treated lumber for my roof mounted solar panels. Some things that you have to consider.
1. It won't meet code.
2. You will have to ground each panel individually.
3. You will need a barrier between the aluminum frames and the treated lumber. Or the treatment will destroy the aluminum.
4. You need good air flow under the panels to keep temperatures as low as possible.
I was about to post a thread about this but just found your post. Do you know which code it won't meet? I was thinking of doing the same thing on my barn's low slope metal roof. Treated wood would be ideal because I plan to make the panels tilt-able for different seasons.

I was about to post a thread about this but just found your post. Do you know which code it won't meet? I was thinking of doing the same thing on my barn's low slope metal roof. Treated wood would be ideal because I plan to make the panels tilt-able for different seasons.
It's not a UL approved method for mounting solar panels on a roof.

It's not a UL approved method for mounting solar panels on a roof.
Thanks for the confirmation. Do you know if I can use my own design mounting, provided it uses the existing mounting holes in the panels? It would be made from aluminum angles and shapes. The reason I want to design my own is I want to be able to tilt the panels a few times a year.

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you know if I can use my own design mounting, provided it uses the existing mounting holes in the panels? It would be made from aluminum angles and shapes. The reason I want to design my own is I want to be able to tilt the panels a few times a year.
If it's getting inspected. You are limited to only UL approved products.
Unless you get permission from the AHJ. Which isn't usually an easy process. You have to submit full specs and detailed drawings for approval.
Unless cousin Billy Joe Bob is also your inspector.

Dang, that drives up the cost considerably. There is no AHJ in my area (unincorporated), other than the electric utility. They will inspect, but getting an answer out of them ahead of time is like pulling teeth.

Thanks for the information!

Dang, that drives up the cost considerably. There is no AHJ in my area (unincorporated), other than the electric utility. They will inspect, but getting an answer out of them ahead of time is like pulling teeth.

Thanks for the information!
I guess that you are installing a grid-tied system?
And wanting to export to the grid?
Otherwise, the utility company doesn't need to inspect anything.

Back