diy solar

diy solar

Vertical Bi-facial panels as privacy fence.

Just looked Tiger Neo specs and they seem to have very nice temp coefs and some are even over 23% efficient (which tells me they need to be nicely engineered to achieve that). Bifaciality though is only 80%(+-5%) in every spec sheet I saw. That's not bad, and they are pretty identical to those my friend got quoted for. I have seen spec sheets over 90% bifaciality, but don't remember where. I don't think that bi-factor number is deal breaker as it all depends $/W. Of course if I could find cheap panels with better bi-factor I'd choose them.

I stand corrected, my eyes read 85%, but you are correct @80% +/-5.
Jinko seems to be one of the best companies out there from my research so far.

I read somewhere that bifacials are best recommended north of 40 deg, and I'm planning on being south of that. Probably around 35 degrees. I need to do more reading, as I don't see that as being a deal killer given their cloudy weather benefit. Looking to be in an area that has 205ish days of sun per year. I feel like they would be very beneficial in that environment.

The spec sheet for the ones I'm considering are here

While the cost does need to be considered, I am looking for the best I can get that just works. Reliability and lack of fuss is truly what I am after.

I stand corrected, my eyes read 85%, but you are correct @80% +/-5.
Jinko seems to be one of the best companies out there from my research so far.

I read somewhere that bifacials are best recommended north of 40 deg, and I'm planning on being south of that. Probably around 35 degrees. I need to do more reading, as I don't see that as being a deal killer given their cloudy weather benefit. Looking to be in an area that has 205ish days of sun per year. I feel like they would be very beneficial in that environment.

The spec sheet for the ones I'm considering are here

While the cost does need to be considered, I am looking for the best I can get that just works. Reliability and lack of fuss is truly what I am after.
That was the old opinion, but according to latest studies bi-verticals can be actually quite ok even in hotter climates. If you have no snow I'd tilt them even more. Something like 70-75 degree. Still vertical enough to have decent cooling effect due to close vertical orientation.

I understand that reliability means something, but I don't know if there's much difference in panel longevity. Even bad ones should be ok for decade or two. And they are all using latest technology for they panels to get nice spec sheets so there can be issues that reveal themselves after long time and getting warranty claim passed after 10 years or so might be hard.

Inverters are a whole different matter. So many components to go bad. Fortunate for us, we can get Deye/Sunsynk about three times cheaper than US only Sol-Ark. Basically identical gadgets all manufactured by Deye, but Sol-Ark has exclusive rights for US market. There are other good inverters out there but I'm still a noob so have no experience to educate anyone on the matter. I'm just happy with my Deyes so far.

That was the old opinion, but according to latest studies bi-verticals can be actually quite ok even in hotter climates. If you have no snow I'd tilt them even more. Something like 70-75 degree. Still vertical enough to have decent cooling effect due to close vertical orientation.
I wondered about that. Given thermodynamics they should run cooler, and thus be more efficient. With little research done by me I was wondering if I had missed something on the albedo side. Such as no snow= less efficient in the lower latitudes. Your words just reinforce my thoughts.

I understand that reliability means something, but I don't know if there's much difference in panel longevity. Even bad ones should be ok for decade or two. And they are all using latest technology for they panels to get nice spec sheets so there can be issues that reveal themselves after long time and getting warranty claim passed after 10 years or so might be hard.
I have spent way too many decades maintaining critical systems in both commercial and municipal arena's so my mindset is buy the best you can and take good care of it and it will take care of you. The best maintenance is preventive, and that starts before the purchase with good research. Some say I spend needless money on occasion, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

Inverters are a whole different matter. So many components to go bad. Fortunate for us, we can get Deye/Sunsynk about three times cheaper than US only Sol-Ark. Basically identical gadgets all manufactured by Deye, but Sol-Ark has exclusive rights for US market. There are other good inverters out there but I'm still a noob so have no experience to educate anyone on the matter. I'm just happy with my Deyes so far.
This is an area I have no knowledge or opinion on as of now. I am very familiar with comfortably living within the constraints of 12v camping for long term, and that is our approach at the moment. Neither of us need A/C, and love wood heat.
We have agreed to start 12v and slowly add anything we miss from our "modern life". She has already found and is happy with a rechargeable curling iron even. The only exception could be my workshop. But even that is in question with so many battery operated tools. I truly enjoy woodworking with mostly hand tools.
From everything I read on this forum, I feel an aversion to inverters. They truly sound like nuisance items that need constant babysitting. Not my cup of tea for sure. Glad to hear your happy with Deyes. I'll keep that i my notes if I wind up looking into inverters. So far I've come to land on Victron SCC's. Started with a 100/20 in my portable build, and so far I love it. its only been recently put in service tho so time will tell.

I wondered about that. Given thermodynamics they should run cooler, and thus be more efficient. With little research done by me I was wondering if I had missed something on the albedo side. Such as no snow= less efficient in the lower latitudes. Your words just reinforce my thoughts.
Yep. Snow and cold gives unbelievable boost. If you can't have that (or don't want that:)), just keep everything white.

I have spent way too many decades maintaining critical systems in both commercial and municipal arena's so my mindset is buy the best you can and take good care of it and it will take care of you. The best maintenance is preventive, and that starts before the purchase with good research. Some say I spend needless money on occasion, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.
I get that. It's just that it's getting harder to find good products when everything is manufactured somewhere far away from here ultra cheap. Same crap with different logos and price tag. Advertising tricks.

This is an area I have no knowledge or opinion on as of now. I am very familiar with comfortably living within the constraints of 12v camping for long term, and that is our approach at the moment. Neither of us need A/C, and love wood heat.
We have agreed to start 12v and slowly add anything we miss from our "modern life". She has already found and is happy with a rechargeable curling iron even. The only exception could be my workshop. But even that is in question with so many battery operated tools. I truly enjoy woodworking with mostly hand tools.
From everything I read on this forum, I feel an aversion to inverters. They truly sound like nuisance items that need constant babysitting. Not my cup of tea for sure. Glad to hear your happy with Deyes. I'll keep that i my notes if I wind up looking into inverters. So far I've come to land on Victron SCC's. Started with a 100/20 in my portable build, and so far I love it. its only been recently put in service tho so time will tell.
Victron seems to be highly regarded here. I think I just got beginner's luck with my Deyes as Sol-Ark seems to be worshipped too. Don't know about babysitting as I don't need to do anything for them to operate day in and day out. It's just that I'm grid tied and we have spot prices here, so energy rates are changing every hour depending stock exchange. It's the Deye versatility that allows me to sell or purchase electricity when I want. For now I need to do it by changing parameters by hand (only when something radical happens), but my nerdy friend already got his working automatically via Home Assistant and I'm just going to copy his setup.

For the whole house system you are better off with 48V. For example one of my Deyes can charge my Lifepo batts with ~240A (~13kW) which is equal to ~960A on a 12V system. I'm using 95mm2 (3/0 AWG) tinned copper cables for my batts to keep losses down, but they aren't even close being big enough for 960A. Cable size for 960A would be ridiculous.

Yep. Snow and cold gives unbelievable boost. If you can't have that (or don't want that:)), just keep everything white.
LOL, yeah i don't want it anymore. 35+ years working out doors year around in Michigan has got me looking South. somewhere temperate but still with all 4 seasons.
I get that. It's just that it's getting harder to find good products when everything is manufactured somewhere far away from here ultra cheap. Same crap with different logos and price tag. Advertising tricks.
Thank you for pointing this out. I needed the reminder of chinesium quadruplicates!
Victron seems to be highly regarded here. I think I just got beginner's luck with my Deyes as Sol-Ark seems to be worshipped too. Don't know about babysitting as I don't need to do anything for them to operate day in and day out. It's just that I'm grid tied and we have spot prices here, so energy rates are changing every hour depending stock exchange. It's the Deye versatility that allows me to sell or purchase electricity when I want. For now I need to do it by changing parameters by hand (only when something radical happens), but my nerdy friend already got his working automatically via Home Assistant and I'm just going to copy his setup.
Wow! priced based on the stock exchange!? That sounds like a nightmare of a roller coaster ride.
I had not heard of deyes until a couple weeks ago reading the name here. Thankfully I found Will's videos that brought me to this forum before I purchased a SCC. I went victron for my portable unit because they are designed for boats and RV's. Their reputation in that field means it should handle the off road life the wife and I are about to embark on. So far very pleased.
Deyes/ Sol-Ark is on my list to research more, but I have no intention of seeing power poles and they seem to be favored in grid tied systems. We will be 100% off grid.
For the whole house system you are better off with 48V. For example one of my Deyes can charge my Lifepo batts with ~240A (~13kW) which is equal to ~960A on a 12V system. I'm using 95mm2 (3/0 AWG) tinned copper cables for my batts to keep losses down, but they aren't even close being big enough for 960A. Cable size for 960A would be ridiculous.

Well, I designed my setup against low sun angle and constant snowing (it's snowing right now), not as privacy fence.

View attachment 196140

View attachment 196141

Each panel is 700W nominal, so 44,1kWp. ~70% bifaciality so backside is ~31kWp. Yearly target of 40Mwh is already broken and can be something like 44-47MWh. Works really well with snow on the ground.

As a privacy fence, I don't know. Tempered glass is really strong and you can walk on those panels, BUT they are really sensitive for sharp hits like lawnmower rocks. Actually one of my panels got broken when 2mm drill bit broke and maybe a 2mm long piece hit it. Didn't expect that could be possible.

View attachment 196142

Painted all those cracks with polyurethane clear and wrapped with clear plastic next day. Seems to be working fine.

Wooden poles! Can you talk about your mounting system? I'm also on a farm, and wood is my bank accounts friend. Would love to tap into your expertise on how you mounted and wired that system.

Wooden poles! Can you talk about your mounting system? I'm also on a farm, and wood is my bank accounts friend. Would love to tap into your expertise on how you mounted and wired that system.
Trial and error, no expertise here.😟

Please go look my thread. Link in my signature. First two pages will tell you how I mounted my system. Wiring is like any other, but I tried to keep string voltage up to minimize losses (800V capable inverters) and used aluminum direct bury cables (4x25mm2 = 4x4AWG) because they were 3x cheaper than copper. My array is over 100m (330ft) away from my inverters/batts and each string (4x11kWp=44kWp) has its own cable, so high operating voltage and oversized cable to keep losses down.

Reactions: Bop
Back