diy solar

diy solar

Vertical Bi-facial panels as privacy fence.

@prepared_life

Newbie to Solar here for Knowledge
So has anyone thought about setting up bi-facial panels as a privacy fence? I know some of us run into issues, running out of roof space limiting our potential gains. What are your thoughts pro's and con?

Very interesting.
Seems to me as though they might be at greater risk of damage as a fence.That would put them lower to the ground and into "life's" way. Rocks from a lawn mower, kids playing ball in the yard. (Wait do they still do that now days?)

Very interesting.
Seems to me as though they might be at greater risk of damage as a fence.That would put them lower to the ground and into "life's" way. Rocks from a lawn mower, kids playing ball in the yard. (Wait do they still do that now days?)
But if the panels were protected by a strong glazing system, there may be less problems? i think its the same old story of using something in a way that it wasnt deigned to be used .....

But if the panels were protected by a strong glazing system, there may be less problems? i think its the same old story of using something in a way that it wasnt deigned to be used .....
Could be..... bullet proof glass. Sell them as the invincible panels. Lol
Agreed about the same old story. If the video is truly accurate maybe a redevelopment is in order. Somewhere in my wandering in the forum I viewed a thread about a tall vertical mount of bifacials that seemed succesful

Could be..... bullet proof glass. Sell them as the invincible panels. Lol
Agreed about the same old story. If the video is truly accurate maybe a redevelopment is in order. Somewhere in my wandering in the forum I viewed a thread about a tall vertical mount of bifacials that seemed succesful
ive seen a few pop up on youtube etc, looks like the vertical ventilation/cooling is a real advantage

So has anyone thought about setting up bi-facial panels as a privacy fence? I know some of us run into issues, running out of roof space limiting our potential gains. What are your thoughts pro's and con?
Well, I designed my setup against low sun angle and constant snowing (it's snowing right now), not as privacy fence.

first panels.jpg

ready front.jpg

Each panel is 700W nominal, so 44,1kWp. ~70% bifaciality so backside is ~31kWp. Yearly target of 40Mwh is already broken and can be something like 44-47MWh. Works really well with snow on the ground.

As a privacy fence, I don't know. Tempered glass is really strong and you can walk on those panels, BUT they are really sensitive for sharp hits like lawnmower rocks. Actually one of my panels got broken when 2mm drill bit broke and maybe a 2mm long piece hit it. Didn't expect that could be possible.

broken.jpg

Painted all those cracks with polyurethane clear and wrapped with clear plastic next day. Seems to be working fine.

Well you have the privacy fence, that is the pro side. And if you have run out of space, you are using it to generate energy.
But the cons are going to be very different depending on where you live. Vertically they are not going to produce all the energy they could, and close to the ground if there is grass you will have to be very careful when mowing the lawn (specially when you use a string trimmer). People could damage them if there are a lot of savages or kids in your area, and someone could try to steal them.
I wouldnt do it where i live

@shadowmaker - You have the set up I was thinking about. I'd seen it before in another thread. It seems worthy in snow. How well does it perform in the summer? Any regrets of not having them tilted in summer?
I'm curious about the heat difference/ performance during peak summer temps.
I'm still in the searching for property stage, so envisioning options when we do find our home. Although I'm not planning on staying in the snow belt!

If the installation is sized to meet the need in the winter, it is probably oversized for summer, so the loss of potential summer production may not be an issue.
My thinking there was the summer angle would be less than winter so the set might suffer a dual loss- less direct angle and lack of the reflective snow for albedo

@shadowmaker - You have the set up I was thinking about. I'd seen it before in another thread. It seems worthy in snow. How well does it perform in the summer? Any regrets of not having them tilted in summer?
I'm curious about the heat difference/ performance during peak summer temps.
I'm still in the searching for property stage, so envisioning options when we do find our home. Although I'm not planning on staying in the snow belt!
I copied my old post from another thread:
Still under one year of experience/data, but maybe this may help you:
- spring best 340kWh (snow), worst 40kwh
- summer best 280kWh, worst 60kWh
- fall best 180kWh (rain and clouds, no snow), worst 20kWh
- winter (so far) best 85kWh (snow, but not a one single sunny day so far), worst 2kWh (and this was with snow, which usually doubles my yield)

These daily yields are from my 44kWp vertical/bifacial system with 135 azimuth. I'm also much norther from you and my panel angle is optimized for winter as we have enough sun in summer even with "wrong" tilt angle. My setup is totally different from yours, but you can see the effects of tilt and seasons. Even with optimized tilt winter sucks.
I think I wrote that in December so things have changed since. Days are getting longer and sun is higher in the sky. Best daily yields are around 200kWh so far, but today it's going to be 230-250kWh (hopefully) as we are getting fast toward spring. Daily worst yields are still around 15-20kWh. Eventually when snow goes away production decreases ~20-30%. This summer I'm going to experiment with albedo to see if there could be cheap fix or not.

Unlike @FilterGuy suggested my setup isn't sized at all. I was (and still am) a noob so didn't calculate much. My winter daily consumption is around 180-250kWh, so I knew this won't be enough for going off-grid here. My yearly consumption is 40-45Mwh, so I targeted making 40MWh with my setup and I have already surpassed it. My array isn't totally vertical, more like 80-85 degrees to collect more noon sun in summer. Still vertical enough for snow.

Don't know about regretting fixed tilt, but up here we have 19 hours of sun mid summer so backside is making decent production as it is in evenings. With seasonally tilted system I'd loose that. Motorized tilt would be awesome though. BUT panels are getting so cheap so I already bought 14,3kWp monofacial panels to put in 230 azimuth on close by shed roof to get more afternoon production when sun is inline with my current array. They are going to suck in winter though. For winter I have also been thinking painting one or two walls of that same shed bright white and installing vertical bifacials to it. I bet I can get 15-20% backside production from them through whole year by doing it right. Yesterday my friend called that he got a quote for top of the line 23,4% efficient N-type 600W topcon bifacials with 80% bifacial factor for ~15c/W delivered. Even after 14,3kWp added I'm pretty sure there's plenty of room in my inverters if I just keep installing panels at 230 azimuth.

There is new research focusing vertical bifacials in hot environment that suggest their superiority over tilted monofacials, but hot here is only +30C, typically +20-+25C in summer. Also N-type bifacials typically have lower temp coef compared to P-type panels plus they have reduced degradation rate.

Most certainly I'm loosing some production because of vertical tilt in summer, but my daily consumption is then only 60-120kWh so plenty of production as it is. Adding more panels is kind of stupid. And fun.:)

@shadowmaker - Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and results, it is very much appreciated. I like the concept of the vertical mount bifacials very much. While I can't get behind the idea of using for a privacy fence, I think they pose a greater value to usable space compared to a ground mount of tilted panels. I will be digging deeper into this. My first order of business is to find land.

I can see how this hobby gets addicting- I just put together my first portable system (a few details to finish yet), and I'm already thinking of pallets of panels powering an off grid system!

@shadowmaker - Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and results, it is very much appreciated. I like the concept of the vertical mount bifacials very much. While I can't get behind the idea of using for a privacy fence, I think they pose a greater value to usable space compared to a ground mount of tilted panels. I will be digging deeper into this. My first order of business is to find land.

I can see how this hobby gets addicting- I just put together my first portable system (a few details to finish yet), and I'm already thinking of pallets of panels powering an off grid system!
If E/W installation, go with vertical, if S/N I'd use ~80 degree instead going fully vertical. This way you should get more summer production and loose nothing in winter. With vertical/close to vertical bifacials it's all about albedo and reflected light from nearby surroundings. Avoid having unnecessary shadows close to your array as there's no reflected light to utilize. It is very different from using traditionally angled panels, but with some optimization there can be decent overall production even with fixed tilt.

If E/W installation, go with vertical, if S/N I'd use ~80 degree instead going fully vertical. This way you should get more summer production and loose nothing in winter. With vertical/close to vertical bifacials it's all about albedo and reflected light from nearby surroundings. Avoid having unnecessary shadows close to your array as there's no reflected light to utilize. It is very different from using traditionally angled panels, but with some optimization there can be decent overall production even with fixed tilt.
The wife and I were discussing it this afternoon, and thinking about 3 strings. 1 each direction East, West and South. That would give the E/W facing panels improved backside exposure as well. I also like your white wall idea. That sure should boost albedo, along with some white rock on the ground if possible.

I really like the idea of the more production surface on cloudy days.

I take it your set is South facing then given the angle?

The wife and I were discussing it this afternoon, and thinking about 3 strings. 1 each direction East, West and South. That would give the E/W facing panels improved backside exposure as well. I also like your white wall idea. That sure should boost albedo, along with some white rock on the ground if possible.

I really like the idea of the more production surface on cloudy days.

I take it your set is South facing then given the angle?
135 azimuth so SE because I didn't want to interfere farming on that field. I'm loosing some evening production for sure because of "wrong" backside tilt angle, but I calculated that I might be gaining more from front side because it's 700W and backside is only ~500W.

Here's a picture from close to perfect day last mid summer. This is from 1/4 of my array (=11kWp).
10th June 2023.jpg
You can easily see why I'm now adding panels perpendicular to my current setup (shed roof/wall is ~230 azimuth). Their best performance should be around 16.00 (4pm). I bet the second hump would be little bigger but the first one even smaller if panels were totally vertical. Also I get that second hump only in summer so I loose something for maybe 4 months, but gain all year round because of current ~80 degree tilt.

So if you are going with three arrays (E,W,S) I'd tilt all those to ~80 degree. There are now new bifacials available that claim 90-95% bifaciality. That would mean you'd need only one totally vertical E/W array as both sides are almost identical production wise.

135 azimuth so SE because I didn't want to interfere farming on that field. I'm loosing some evening production for sure because of "wrong" backside tilt angle, but I calculated that I might be gaining more from front side because it's 700W and backside is only ~500W.

Here's a picture from close to perfect day last mid summer. This is from 1/4 of my array (=11kWp).
View attachment 196678
You can easily see why I'm now adding panels perpendicular to my current setup (shed roof/wall is ~230 azimuth). Their best performance should be around 16.00 (4pm). I bet the second hump would be little bigger but the first one even smaller if panels were totally vertical. Also I get that second hump only in summer so I loose something for maybe 4 months, but gain all year round because of current ~80 degree tilt.

So if you are going with three arrays (E,W,S) I'd tilt all those to ~80 degree. There are now new bifacials available that claim 90-95% bifaciality. That would mean you'd need only one totally vertical E/W array as both sides are almost identical production wise.
Very interesting. It sure is a game of give and take to get the most out of a system! I can see how a new string @ 230ish Azimuth would knock your production out of the park. I had considered a tracking ground mount for a while, but just way too many moving parts to go wrong for me.
Your set up when complete (even without a true south string) seems as though it would be very competitive to a tracker w/std panels.
And best of all much less maintenance!

I've been eyeing the Tiger Neo bifacials from Jinko solar. They claim an 85% bifacialty. I have not seen the 90-95% claim yet.

I've been eyeing the Tiger Neo bifacials from Jinko solar. They claim an 85% bifacialty. I have not seen the 90-95% claim yet.
Just looked Tiger Neo specs and they seem to have very nice temp coefs and some are even over 23% efficient (which tells me they need to be nicely engineered to achieve that). Bifaciality though is only 80%(+-5%) in every spec sheet I saw. That's not bad, and they are pretty identical to those my friend got quoted for. I have seen spec sheets over 90% bifaciality, but don't remember where. I don't think that bi-factor number is deal breaker as it all depends $/W. Of course if I could find cheap panels with better bi-factor I'd choose them.

Back