diy solar

diy solar

Very Interesting Tesla Battery Degradation Data

I watched this the other day, and it gave me good hope that these will probably last longer than advertised.

I wonder if there is any warranty on the battery capacity? At least in terms of deviation from the median.

Some of those batteries were real dogs. Be a shame to get a dud with no recourse.

Last edited:
I run a large 18650 powerwall at 121kwh. Thus, I'm very interested in how long my powerwall will be effective and even more interested in what 'failure' will look like.

But I'm not seeing any way to relate 50K / 100K miles to solar powerwalks. What do you folks think - extrapolate energy consumed per mile from the EV batteries and relate that to energy consumed from the powerwall by the inverters?

Let's try that.....
100K miles at 0.346kwh/mile ( https://ecocostsavings.com/average-electric-car-kwh-per-mile/ ) = 34,600kwh from an EV battery for 100K miles and 6-10% degradation. So far my inverters have consumed ~85,000kwh from the powerwall over 1,957 cycles. That's 2.46 times the 100K energy - so I should see 2.5 times the degradation? - e.g. 6% * 2.5 = 15% degradation??

Don't believe I'm seeing that much degradation but I didn't start with all 9 batteries in the powerwall at once. This is the powerwall makeup over the 85,000kwh consumed to date. Lifetime average of 35.8% DOD.
1713348128277.png

Perhaps the newer batteries in parallel with battery #1 are propping it up and hiding 15% degradation to battery #1 so it's more like 4% overall spread among all 9 batteries in parallel in proportion to their age/cycles.

I am tracking ah/v of energy provided during 0 PV times - e.g. straight battery -> inverter. This is not apples to apples from year to year because of the new batteries added but soon I'll be 'static' (no more batteries) and I'm hoping that ah/v will eventually give a peek into degradation over the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is any warranty on the battery capacity? At least in terms of deviation from the median.

Some of those batteries were real dogs. Be a shame to get a dud with no recourse.
I have heard of them warrantying them if they have a specific amount of degradation in a specific time frame/miles driven. But I don't remember. I want to say 20% degradation before the warranty runs out, which for my specific Model 3 is 8 years or 120,000 miles, for the battery warranty.

I watched this the other day, and it gave me good hope that these will probably last longer than advertised.
Yeah :)
I really like the LFP graph. It gave me some added confidence.

Back