diy solar

diy solar

LFP batteries burn hotter than NCA?

I remember once when I was young, there was a mishap in our (stand alone) workshop at my old-man's place, started a fire.
Mom called the fire dept and the old man connected a garden hose up to an outside tap,
Fire Department show up, fire burning in the workshop, but the old man is spraying water on a garden shed near the workshop...Fire captain gets his guys to work putting hose on the shop fire, while the old man continued to spray the garden shed with the garden hose.
Fire captain asks - "Any reason your spraying the shed (that is not burning) instead of the shop?
The old man say calmly - "Yes, the shed is where all the Oxygen-Acetylene bottles are stored"

Just because something is flammable doesn't make it the cause.

Maybe these LPF hot fires will help those in the mid west deep freeze and Supercharger issues.

“I have a RWD with the LFP battery and it will not charge if it’s cold. Simply will not. So it has to stay plugged in for 30-60 minutes before it even starts taking a charge“

Great line right there.

Maybe these LPF hot fires will help those in the mid west deep freeze and Supercharger issues.

“I have a RWD with the LFP battery and it will not charge if it’s cold. Simply will not. So it has to stay plugged in for 30-60 minutes before it even starts taking a charge“

Great line right there.
I'm kind of surprised it takes that long to warm up TBH.

If they are stone cold -10f and zero preconditioning that’s a fair amount of BTU that needs to go into them.

Also they prob raise temps beyond 32f before charging starts, prob closer to 50-70f if not higher to charge at speed.

If they are stone cold -10f and zero preconditioning that’s a fair amount of BTU that needs to go into them.

Also they prob raise temps beyond 32f before charging starts, prob closer to 50-70f if not higher to charge at speed.
Sounds pretty silly if they don't start charging even with a small amount at 40*F, then ramp up as they get warmer. Charging with a small amount will also induce self heating into the cells which will aid in faster charging

I wonder what the actual charge parameters are. Does anyone have access?

That's one reason why I don't want an electric car. I don't want to be effectively stranded for hours just because it is cold outside.

Back