diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

I don't think I have that much patience.
So far my charging experince is not going so well, probally be faster/cheaper to hookup a bike light generator to the stationary bike and watch the wife charge them.

So far my charging experince is not going so well, probally be faster/cheaper to hookup a bike light generator to the stationary bike and watch the wife charge them.
That's funny. I can just imagine my wife's response if I tried that.
gonnagetit.gif

I have question since the charging is a complete failure so far, could I build a 16s with the batrium for balance and let the growatt inveter charge and just cycle them as each one is charged? Once all 8 are complete then build the larger battery configuration?

Please qualify "complete failure". I don't want to be making suggestions without a better understanding of the situation.
Two chargers that are only doing 2 amps with a massive price delta, I'm not finding anything else that gives me hope on top balancing.

My benchtop power supply maxxed out at just under 10 amps when top balancing my eight cells. The unit is rated for 10 amps. I didn't do anything special. I used the supplied leads and even the alligator clips.

One of the alternate charging step in the top balance tutorial is to put the cells in a series configuration, fully connect and configure the BMS and connect a charger appropriate to the voltage of the pack. But that step is only to be used to charge to a voltage that is less than a full charge, something like 3.5 volts (check the top balancing tutorial for the exact voltage).

My benchtop power supply maxxed out at just under 10 amps when top balancing my eight cells. The unit is rated for 10 amps. I didn't do anything special. I used the supplied leads and even the alligator clips.

One of the alternate charging step in the top balance tutorial is to put the cells in a series configuration, fully connect and configure the BMS and connect a charger appropriate to the voltage of the pack. But that step is only to be used to charge to a voltage that is less than a full charge, something like 3.5 volts (check the top balancing tutorial for the exact voltage).
I will go back and look at it that, but now I have purchased two chargers that were defective. I took a short video of the new 40amp running with voltmeter readout and sent to batteryspace I'm interested to see how they respond.

I will take a picture of my cables but when I checked sizing for the amperage is was just fine. I have about 3 feet of 4awg that I connected to the charger, batteryspace responded that could be the issue. If there was really that much resistance the cables should be getting warm.

They wrote back and said this is normal cv mode but I stated the battery is only at 3.34 volts and have not heard back yet.

This is the response from battery space:
Battery is currently at 3.34 volts:
Cable from the charger is 4 feet 4awg brand new tinned connectors.

Batteryspace reply
"Is it possible to discharge your battery and charge your battery again, the current should be better.
It is possible to enter into CV mode at the current. According to the formula, if the resistance is over 110mohm, the current is only 2.8A, so the only way to reduce resistance, clean the contactor and shorten the wire is directly way."

I went and checked amperage before the Anderson connection then at my connection at the battery and are the same. I really do not understand the issue as stated by the response.

Last edited:
They responded and requested I shorten the cable, since I did not measure a amp/voltage drop from the 3 ft I did not understand how it would help. But I decided to shorten in substantially for the test, I went from 3ft to 4 inches and it is still at 2.5/2.6 amps tested multiple batteries.

They responded and stated my batteries are to high of a resistance for the charger to enter CC, which I do not understand. All batteries are .17 mΩ which is below advertised resistance can somone elaborate why they are saying the resistance is the issue?

Strange. Did they also suggest that you wave a dead chicken over the power supply and cells?
At this point I'm willing to try anything to get closer to completion, I will pm you my address and please bring the chickens asap. I'm asking for a return label since I just wasting wires, tinned lugs.

Batrium has been up for over a week running with no issues so far with the small test. Interface is still fast and responsive and no major bugs.
If you would like other screenshots taken please let me know.

Attachments

• batrium 7.jpg
    batrium 7.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
  • batrium 6.jpg
    batrium 6.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 16
  • batrium 5.jpg
    batrium 5.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 18
  • batrium 4.jpg
    batrium 4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 16
  • batrium43.jpg
    batrium43.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 15
  • batrium 3.jpg
    batrium 3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 13
  • batrium 2.jpg
    batrium 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11
  • batrium 1.jpg
    batrium 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 15
I'm at a complete loss now on how to top balance, the TekPower TP1540E DC Adjustable Switching Power Supply 15V 40A Digital just came in.
Display shows it bouncing 3.6/3.7 but on the meter show 3.53v, amps are at 2.9. So at this point I have no idea what is wrong, tested on several batteries. Anyone have any ideas on what to do as I'm a month behind buying and testing chargers.

First of all, disconnect the power supply from the battery. Measure the voltage at the leads, make sure this is not higher than 3.65V; 3.5 will do fine as well. Don't touch the buttons after this, and connect to the battery. As an aside, make sure you use proper leads from the power supply to the battery (using thin cables and alligator connectors does not cut it).

First of all, disconnect the power supply from the battery. Measure the voltage at the leads, make sure this is not higher than 3.65V; 3.5 will do fine as well. Don't touch the buttons after this, and connect to the battery. As an aside, make sure you use proper leads from the power supply to the battery (using thin cables and alligator connectors does not cut it).
Tried with 4inch 4wg with tinned lugs with each charger and no improvements, I'm wondering if the batteries are defective as 3 chargers being defective is very unlikely. At this point should I forget the chargers create a 16s as I have my growatt 120amp on the wall ready to go. I have plenty of m8s from batrium and can create several.

Either you have the worst luck of the forum with power supplies or you have some bad cells. I know you said you tested on individual batteries, but have you tried charging individual cells?

Back