diy solar

diy solar

Vevor inverter? 3500w pure sine

73powerstroke

Solar Enthusiast
Anyone try one of these

VEVOR Pure Sine Wave Inverter 3500 Watt Power Inverter, DC 12V to AC 120V Car Inverter, with USB Port LCD Display Remote Controller and AC Outlets (GFCI), for RV Truck Car Solar System Travel Camping https://a.co/d/9gwLaey

Anyone try one of these

VEVOR Pure Sine Wave Inverter 3500 Watt Power Inverter, DC 12V to AC 120V Car Inverter, with USB Port LCD Display Remote Controller and AC Outlets (GFCI), for RV Truck Car Solar System Travel Camping https://a.co/d/9gwLaey
Something is not right about the specs of this unit 3500w continuous is almost 300 amps. The 7000 watt surge is nearly 550 amps. The math doesn’t make sense.

Vevor is just another Chinese company with next to no customer service if something goes wrong.
I had to do a CC charge back to get a proper response to an inverter I bought from them that developed a short on the battery input.

It's math
watts/volts=amps
if the inverter is attempting to draw 3500w out of a 12v battery (forgetting inverter efficiency) the battery will need to provide 291.66 amps
3500w / 12v = 291.66a

7000w surge / 12v = 583.333a
Yes I know, however I never saw what they said it's specific specs were for current draw. My 2000w says 25amps on bottom. I swear they make up stuff and put it on a label

It's all about scamming the consumer to get you to pay the money. My advice is to avoid any component that isn't UL or CE listed. Those American and European organizations exist to document whether or not a product is safe to operate as intended.

It's all about scamming the consumer to get you to pay the money. My advice is to avoid any component that isn't UL or CE listed. Those American and European organizations exist to document whether or not a product is safe to operate as intended.
Wonder if this one is?

Wonder if this one is?
Tried to look, but is seems the answer is no. Here is another brand that is UL listed. I would take this more seriously because they built it with a 30A NEMA socket. I'm sure it's a lot more expensive, but that's one of the things about getting UL listed. It costs money, and the cheapest players making the cheapest products skip on UL certification.
1657047509293.png

I have this one I used it for a couple of years. Works great, I have the remote for it as well. I upgraded to 24 volts. There is a 2000 watt model also.
It’s a low frequency maybe 75 pounds. Low self consumption but don’t remember the watts.

https://www.amazon.com/AMPINVT-Inverter-Converter-Adjustable-Frequency/dp/B07QYF8THG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9ENWPA7OEGKS&keywords=3000W+Peak+9000W+Pure+Sine+Wave+Power+Inverter+3000+watts+Continuous+DC+12V+AC+to+110V+RV+Converter+with+Battery+AC+Charger+LCD+Display%2CLow+Frequency+Solar+Inverter+for+RV…&qid=1657048115&sprefix=3000w+peak+9000w+pure+sine+wave+power+inverter+3000+watts+continuous+dc+12v+ac+to+110v+rv+converter+with+battery+ac+charger+lcd+display%2Clow+frequency+solar+inverter+for+rv+%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-3

Anyone try one of these

I Just installed one today and am getting erratic voltage readings on the outputs (160v across hot and neutral). I presume its defective, but I'm a total inverter newb. I'm going to make a post about it to create visibility.

I don't understand the reasoning behind most of the comments here. The VEVOR inverters are great. They produce 120VAC rather than 110VAC like traditional cheapo Chinese inverters. Amazon sells them themselves. They handle load well, at least the loads I have run (around 1500W) with no voltage sag. Voltage remains at 121V. Very low self power consumption. Relatively high efficiency. The VEVORs are good inverters from what I have experienced. Having the back lit LCD display and the terminal block to get the full 2500W or 3500W out of them if needed is good too. The reviews are good online except those that say the GFCI outlets don't work. Ignore those comments since anyone who knows, knows that a GFCI outlet has to be grounded, and you ground them by grounding the chassis. So try grounding the chassis before saying GFCI doesn't work. So my opinion is that they are good inverters, especially for their price tag. I haven't found a single inverter model that is better from any other source, American or China that beats it. What's American anyway today? If anyone knows of something that is truly better, post it here to prove it please. I am going to buy another soon.

In terms of current, 12V inverters suck huge amounts of current because their voltage is so low. That is why they also make 24V versions. Any 12V inverter that delivers 3500W of power is going to use 292A at 12VDC. That is the math. That just means you need 300A 2/0 class M, 400A class M, or 4/0 class K welding cable. Where the heck did the comment about 7000W come from? These inverters don't come in 7000W models so the concern about needing 600A is ridiculous. You don't size your cables based on surge current. Inverters that run on low voltages ALWAYS need lots of current and hence big cables. If you don't like that or understand why then just get the 24VDC version. Nothing unusual or strange about that. If you want skinny cables then you either want a 48, 60, or 72VDC inverter and batteries to match, or you don't want much power out of your inverter, or you don't know what you are talking about.

You can get a good 100Ah battery with blue tooth monitoring and low temp sensor and a 2500W pure sine VEVOR inverter for $350. That will give you a 1200W power system (limited to 100A by BMS) for the lowest price I have every found. Two batteries w/BT low temp sensor, etc., and the same inverter for less than $520. With 100A adjustable charger (102A @ 14.65VDC) for $107, and 4/0 class K cable for $46 (Windy Nation) you are into a finished 2500W system for just over $650. Some people are spending twice that just on cheapo inverters (also made in China).

These units are high frequency low voltage inverters not low frequency high voltage inverters. They are light and efficient. They aren't meant to run under surge loads for 5-30 minutes like some low frequency inverters can. So these false comparisons are bogus. These are entry level inverters for those on a budge. They aren't full house systems. They are meant for emergencies and portable power. Take a better look if you are interested.

My 3500W model with 2400W ATS works great.

I don't understand the reasoning behind most of the comments here. The VEVOR inverters are great. They produce 120VAC rather than 110VAC like traditional cheapo Chinese inverters. Amazon sells them themselves. They handle load well, at least the loads I have run (around 1500W) with no voltage sag. Voltage remains at 121V. Very low self power consumption. Relatively high efficiency. The VEVORs are good inverters from what I have experienced. Having the back lit LCD display and the terminal block to get the full 2500W or 3500W out of them if needed is good too. The reviews are good online except those that say the GFCI outlets don't work. Ignore those comments since anyone who knows, knows that a GFCI outlet has to be grounded, and you ground them by grounding the chassis. So try grounding the chassis before saying GFCI doesn't work. So my opinion is that they are good inverters, especially for their price tag. I haven't found a single inverter model that is better from any other source, American or China that beats it. What's American anyway today? If anyone knows of something that is truly better, post it here to prove it please. I am going to buy another soon.

In terms of current, 12V inverters suck huge amounts of current because their voltage is so low. That is why they also make 24V versions. Any 12V inverter that delivers 3500W of power is going to use 292A at 12VDC. That is the math. That just means you need 300A 2/0 class M, 400A class M, or 4/0 class K welding cable. Where the heck did the comment about 7000W come from? These inverters don't come in 7000W models so the concern about needing 600A is ridiculous. You don't size your cables based on surge current. Inverters that run on low voltages ALWAYS need lots of current and hence big cables. If you don't like that or understand why then just get the 24VDC version. Nothing unusual or strange about that. If you want skinny cables then you either want a 48, 60, or 72VDC inverter and batteries to match, or you don't want much power out of your inverter, or you don't know what you are talking about.

You can get a good 100Ah battery with blue tooth monitoring and low temp sensor and a 2500W pure sine VEVOR inverter for $350. That will give you a 1200W power system (limited to 100A by BMS) for the lowest price I have every found. Two batteries w/BT low temp sensor, etc., and the same inverter for less than $520. With 100A adjustable charger (102A @ 14.65VDC) for $107, and 4/0 class K cable for $46 (Windy Nation) you are into a finished 2500W system for just over $650. Some people are spending twice that just on cheapo inverters (also made in China).

These units are high frequency low voltage inverters not low frequency high voltage inverters. They are light and efficient. They aren't meant to run under surge loads for 5-30 minutes like some low frequency inverters can. So these false comparisons are bogus. These are entry level inverters for those on a budge. They aren't full house systems. They are meant for emergencies and portable power. Take a better look if you are interested.

My 3500W model with 2400W ATS works great.
Can you or anyone send a picture of hardwire schematic? I seem to not have any luck with mine. The plug works fine but need to hardwire this for a larger pull of appliances.

I don't know of a schematic, but you can figure out the continuity of each terminal with a multimeter.

Here is how mine is wired. There are three different terminals - red, yellow, black. Two connections per terminal, top and bottom, for six total connections to three terminals. The top and bottom rows are the same terminal. The red terminal is one pole or line, yellow is ground, and black is another pole or line. Since this inverter is a 120VAC high frequency inverter, it does not provide 240VAC, so you don't get the traditional four terminal connections - black line1, white neutral, red line2, green ground. Instead you get a similar configuration where the sum of the two poles is 120VAC instead of 240VAC. You can think of this inverter as two inverters running in parallel just like any two 120VAC high frequency inverter do when you put them into a parallel configuration for 240VAC. I guess you could also think of this inverter as using split - split phase or parallel-half-split-phase, or whatever you want to call it. Its just two separate phases running in parallel to each other at 60VAC each. The voltage measured across the two poles is 120VAC, just like the sum of two parallel 120VAC inverters is 240VAC. Why in the world would they do such a weird thing? Its not weird. It's the way every state of the art (high frequency) inverter works when paralleling. With this inverter they simply leveraged the same design but for 60VAC instead, and the microcontroller and communications are encapsulated inside the box. On the outside you get the expected 120VAC.

How can you verify everything I have said?

Yellow Terminal (Ground)
With the battery disconnected from the inverter, set your multimeter in continuity mode if it has one, or if it doesn't put it into resistance mode (ohms) to test for resistance. Then touch one meter lead to the yellow center terminal and the second meter lead to one of the screws on the inverter chassis. If your inverter is like mine, then you will hear the buzzer and see the light that there is continuity between the yellow terminal and the chassis, or if you are using the resistance setting, you will see the resistance go to zero. Now touch either lead to each of the ground holes in the outlets. They will all show continuity with the chassis, the yellow terminal and each other. This means that both the yellow terminal and the inverter chassis are connected. This means they are ground. When you connect your appliance's green ground wire to the yellow terminal you are truly grounding your inverter and the yellow terminal to the appliance ground. If the appliance has been properly grounded, then you are also grounding it to the building's true single point to ground. Note that this also means that neutral or white of the appliance isn't tied to ground as in a standard residential black, white, green split phase configuration. If it were then there would be continuity between the yellow terminal and the black (or red) terminal and there isn't, because that would be a short in this design. This also means that if there is a ground fault (someone touches a live wire - either pole), then they should only experience 60VAC rather than 120VAC and there will be an imbalance between both poles causing the GFCI outlet to trip.

Red/Black Terminals (line 1, line2)
Now touch one of the meter leads to the red terminal and the other lead to the wider of the two slots in outlet A (the one most left). You should also see continuity. If you touch it to the same slot in outlet C (third one from left), the same thing happens. However it does not happen on outlet B or D. That means that they have alternated the connections for the left slot on the outlets between the red and black terminals. A and C are wired the same. B and D are wired the same but opposite of A and C. The left slot on A and C is red and the right slot on A and C is black. The left slot on B and D is black and the right slot on B and D is red.

Since we are talking about alternating current here the concept of polarity, really doesn't matter. So when you wire up your appliance you can connect the appliance's black wire or white wire to the red terminal, and the appliance white or black wire to the black terminal. Now you have the appliance's black and white wires connected and will have 120VAC to the appliance.

Here is a summary of wires to terminals:
green wire to yellow terminal
black or white wire to red terminal
white or black wire to black terminal

If you are concerned about AC polarity (what?), outlets A and C are the same, and B and D are the same but opposite. The rule is that you always wire the wide blade to the neutral (white) and the narrow blade to hot (black). But since there isn't a neutral and there are two half hots, those rules don't apply. I have read a review where someone said that the factory miswired their inverter and got two of the outlets backward, so they rewired the terminals inside the inverter to 'fix' it. What this does to the inverter design though is uncertain. The inverters are by design wired this way to alternate the outlets. I don't know the reasoning behind it other than maybe it has some affect on balancing the load somehow over the two halves or something. That would only make sense though if we were running this inverter as a 60VAC split phase inverter. But we aren't, so there shouldn't be any way for one of the halves of the inverter to become more loaded than the other half like with paralleled 120VAC inverters. I'm not an inverter electrical engineer, I just pretend to be. Who knows how its designed and connected internally? Anyone? An alternative to rewiring the inverter with the terminals is to simply wire one external appliance to red and black and a second with black and red. This way you rewire them outside rather than inside without tampering. My opinion is to just use it as is and not fiddle around with it. Electrical engineers designed the inverter and I don't profess to know more about their schematic than them, especially since I haven't seen them. I really don't believe though that every inverter they make has the same two outlets miswired by mistake. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the assembler is just left handed or using a mirror half way through. Maybe it saves them 10 cents in wire because the right and left blades on every other outlet are next to each other.

So that's all there is to it.

Last edited:
I guess my question about a 12v inverter is, how to power it. My batteries can output up to 100 amps suggested max. So, that might be something you should verify before making a purchase.

Also, don't do the stupid thing I did. I went with a 3000 watt 12v inverter and then realized a 48v system would be better all around. So, I ended up getting a new 48v inverter and the 12v inverter is sitting there making me feel stupid every day.

I guess my question about a 12v inverter is, how to power it. My batteries can output up to 100 amps suggested max. So, that might be something you should verify before making a purchase.

Also, don't do the stupid thing I did. I went with a 3000 watt 12v inverter and then realized a 48v system would be better all around. So, I ended up getting a new 48v inverter and the 12v inverter is sitting there making me feel stupid every day.
Not sure if you really have a question or just a comment, but the answer is you power a 12V inverter with a 12V battery. A 100Ah battery would be fine. You will be limited to 1200W maximum by your battery's BMS since it is what is controlling the current output of your 12V battery. In reality your battery can output more than 100A, usually 150 to 200 continuously depending on the cells and more for spikes as needed. So if you make your own battery out of cells, you can get whatever you want out of them. Four of the 300Ah LiFePO4 cells that you can get for around $100 per cell could drive this inverter 2500W continuously with reasonably long surges to 3600W. RV batteries come in this capacity and larger. You can also buy two 12V group 27 batteries with a 200A BMS to solve that problem, or just use lead acid cells. A single AGM doesn't need a BMS and can delivery over 500A easily. The voltage of the inverter isn't the problem its the limitation of the battery configuration.

If you want to power this inverter continuously at 3500W, then you just need three 100Ah 12V batteries in parallel. The cost of 2ga welding cable is minimal, and the overall cost is much less than a 48V system. When you chose to go with a 48V inverter you made the decision to power it with 48V. That means you have 4 x 12V batteries or 16 x 3.2V cells in series. That's all. So fully powering a 3500W inverter isn't so hard, and it actually less expensive because three 12V batteries cost less than four. If you went with a 100Ah 48V rack mount battery you have the same power output as four 12V 100Ah batteries. The price difference though is two to three times more expensive, and now the battery and inverter aren't portable. 12V inverters are ideal for portability, and 12V batteries are readily accessible. If you don't need 3500W then don't use 3500W. If the price of a 3500W inverter though is half the price of another brand's 2500W inverter then you can save some money and have plenty of surge head room. There are plenty of other 12V inverters that output 2500W and down. VEVOR sells a 2500W pure sine wave inverter for less money than a single 12V battery, and 1/10th the price of a rack mount 48V battery.

So that is how you power a beefy 3500W inverter with 2ga welding wire. Don't get me wrong, 48V systems are great. They are also more expensive. I have every voltage out there in batteries, inverters and chargers. They each have their advantages, but there are benefits to having an inexpensive portable 3500W inverter. Especially for running large power tools at remote locations. And two or three 12V group 27 LiFePO4 batteries are easy to transport and are easily the least expensive option. In the end the AC is the same.

That was exactly my point. You need to be able to output the 300 amps safely. Just something to make sure that is understood. That is all. No more too it.

Back