diy solar

diy solar

Victron 100/30 not contributing to load

woodlecj

Can someone explain to me why my Victron 100/30 is not contributing to the load? I'm using the SmartShunt to monitor and the load is through a Phoenix 24/800. Before I turned on the load, the SCC was charging the battery to 100% just fine. I have 200W of solar panels and was getting upwards of 215W when charging up the batteries. Shouldn't the SCC give the full 152W that the load is demanding?
Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-29 153016.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 153016.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 9
I see. Well I cranked up settings to the Victron recommended settings and now the float is 27V; so I'm getting much more. I just thought my solar would cover the small load.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-29 160537.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-29 160537.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 3
I see. Well I cranked up settings to the Victron recommended settings and now the float is 27V; so I'm getting much more. I just thought my solar would cover the small load.

It will, but the charge controller has to know when. The charge controller has no idea that there are any loads. It's just behaving in accordance with the voltages and behavior you've programmed.

Once it has completed the absorption cycle, it drops to float. It won't put out anything until the voltage drops below float.

Float means, "maintain this voltage."

What battery are you using?

I had read somewhere that you should set your float voltage around the batteries "resting" voltage. My batteries seem to settle at 13.3V or 26.6V in series. That is why I had my settings at 26.40V, Absorb = 27.80. Would you suggest something different?

I had read somewhere that you should set your float voltage around the batteries "resting" voltage. My batteries seem to settle at 13.3V or 26.6V in series. That is why I had my settings at 26.40V, Absorb = 27.80. Would you suggest something different?

There's a lot of misinformation with LFP and float.

If you're going to charge one up and store it, correct. You don't need float.

If you're going to put it into a solar power system, then you need a float that will 1) not overcharge the battery and 2) establish a "floor" of operation for the MPPT.

3.45V/cell will get to 98% SoC, but it may require a longer absorption time (1-2 hours)
3.55V/cell will get fully charged with a short absorption period (15-30 minutes)

If you aren't in a hurry (solar or shore power), 3.45V is good.
If you're charging by generator, 3.55V is the way to go.

3.375V is a good float voltage.

Make sure that your two 12V are reading nearly identical voltages when the system is in absorption.

Hopefully, you did it, but it's important to charge both 12V to full individually and preferably give them an hour at 14.2-14.4V prior to wiring them in series.

Back