diy solar

diy solar

Victron 330 amp vs Epoch 460 amp

If you’re using an awake speed, I would not go with the SOK. The SOK has no pre-alarm signal to slow charging.

I learned today that the epoch 460 is out of stock.

For me, no wakespeed as my usage is in a travel trailer vs van.

looking to lengthen boondocking stays without Gen usage. The DC fridge is the big user at 6 amps. Furnace is about the same. AGM gets me 2 days if the stars align. Not try to run AC. We minimize inverter usage.
300 rooftop and 200 ground solar. Will add dc/dc for driving. F350.

If you're powering DC loads go with the epochs. With the Victron batteries, in order to protect the batteries from over-discharge, you will need to run all your loads through a Smart BatteryProtect. In my opinion the BMS is the Epoch's is more robust than the batteryprotect. This is why I said if you are only powering the inverter, then you would be fine on the Victron, because the current isn't routed through such a device and why I would choose the Epoch's if you had many DC loads. @sunshine_eggo your opinion?

The price is not outrageously different...don't freak out just because it's blue.

$1999 for 460ah Epoch = $4.34/ah
$1654 for 330ah Victron = $5.01/ah

We're talking a 13% difference...I wouldn't call that the difference between peasant and professional.

Victron batteries use CALB cells. CALB has been in business for a LONG time and is one of the original innovators of LiFePO4, typically preforms 10% over rated capacity and lasts forever. The epochs are good too. I'd say they are playing in the same ballpark.
For some reason, I was thinking Victron prices were higher. My mistake.

Back