diy solar

diy solar

Victron Charge Controller Price Crash

Woggs1

Does anyone know why Victron charge controllers price just went WAY down? I recently purchased a 100/50 for over $300 and now I see it is on Amazon for $184!! Will these prices last? New pricing strategy? New models coming out? Victron Price Crash.PNG

A better question might be why they were so overpriced for so long?

Victron is made in India and Malaysia with Chinese components and while they are good controllers there are some that are better without having to buy extra features and people are shying away from apps controlled devices that collect your personal info.

A better question might be why they were so overpriced for so long?

Victron is made in India and Malaysia with Chinese components and while they are good controllers there are some that are better without having to buy extra features and people are shying away from apps controlled devices that collect your personal info.

What extra features are you referring to?

The other day I had my son install the Victron connect app on his phone so I could show him how the ip22 12/30 charger can be configured and to view historic data. All he needed was the 6 digit pin for the device. Zero personal data or account required.

What extra features are you referring to?

The other day I had my son install the Victron connect app on his phone so I could show him how the ip22 12/30 charger can be configured and to view historic data. All he needed was the 6 digit pin for the device. Zero personal data or account required.
No digital readout, no temp sensor and other features included with other brands. You have to buy them separately.

Apps collect the data from your phone. I am not accusing Victron of doing that but it is now a big security concern.

No digital readout, no temp sensor and other features included with other brands. You have to buy them separately.

Apps collect the data from your phone. I am not accusing Victron of doing that but it is now a big security concern.
Totally agree on the apps but unfortunately the word app and spyware seems to go hand in hand. I try to install as few apps as I can on a phone since they all do it. Wife installs everything she can find app wise and can't understand why she has to reboot her phone from time to time with all of the spyware crap that gets left running in the background from the apps choking it down.

You might be surprised to learn, the biggest security concern on any given phone (aside from the Facebook app lol) is actually the manufacturer, Samsung, Google, apple , if you've got a smart phone, you are being tracked.... If it's got a microphone its recording you, if it's got a camera that's being watched too

The only true way to be safe from this huge invasion of privacy is not to play the game

While some yell that Victron equipment was overpriced before (mostly those who were always too cheap to buy it, I notice) I think they deserve a big round of applause for passing on savings to the customer when they are able to do it. And some here need to stop inventing alleged problems and app-related security concerns when they have no actual evidence that they exist. If you can document a security concern, have at it and please do share. But putting a manufacturer in a bad light over things you just dreamed up as a theoretical problem, because some other companies do it, is just wrong.

I have to admit, I've become a very big fan of Victron over the past year. My equipment works well and is rock-solid reliable. I'm monitoring my system using a Raspberry Pi, with software that Victron made available for free, at a time when most companies are trying to charge a subscription for almost everything. And now they drop the price on equipment that many people already love. I wish more companies acted like Victron, and will be putting together an order for more of their stuff in the next few days.

You might be surprised to learn
Oh believe me I am very aware. I happen to be one of those guys that can program an app to track you and collect your data.

I don't do that and my specialty is personal assistant AI and my son is in Tech security but yes, you are being tracked by most tech these days.

Don't get me started on face recognition cameras in cities.

Oh believe me I am very aware. I happen to be one of those guys that can program an app to track you and collect your data.

I don't do that and my specialty is personal assistant AI and my son is in Tech security but yes, you are being tracked by most tech these days.

Don't get me started on face recognition cameras in cities.

I agree with you about app controlled equipment, if you need a smart phone to work your solar setup , it's pretty useless to me

Back