diy solar

diy solar

Victron inverter as shore power conditioner?

Short_Shot

Solar Addict
I'm reading the Multiplus 24/3000/70 data sheet and it states an acceptable input voltage of 95-140VAC and 45-65hz with an output of 120vac +/-2%.

The sheet doesn't explicitly state it will turn a poor quality shore power source (say, 100v) into a stable 120, however these specs seem to indicate it would do just that.

Is this the case? My plans don't really include the necessity of shore power but if it's available it would be nice to utilize since I'll have a 30A connector there anyways.

Not needing an additional component to stabilize this would be wonderful, as I'll likely be plugging in a laptop here and there.

You set the parameters for acceptable input voltage to whatever you want within those ranges. Basically you are telling the Multi what voltages you will accept and if the voltage is accepted the multiplus will pass that voltage through to the outputs. If input voltage is outside of the range you set, the Multi will switch to inverter. If you have sensitve electronics that have a limited acceptable voltage range, you set the Multi to match that range and it will only connect to shore power when voltage is within that range. So no, it is not a power conditioner, it just ignores power that is outside of the parameters you set.

You also set the inverter output voltage to whatever you like within the range it is capable of producing, but that is a single number not a range.

The Multiplus is more like an intelligent DC-AC inverter, when it also runs on a battery, making from 24VDC a true sinus 120VAC.
So when the shore voltage would drop, or current would not be enough, the Multiplus compensates this via the battery power.
I see the Multiplus with battery connected as a more versatile UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), as used in server rooms, etc.

A laptop power supply is a switching power supply, mostly capable of using voltages within a bigger range, like 80-140VAC.
You could check the spec's on the laptop's power supply, to see if your's works within a bigger voltage range too.

You set the parameters for acceptable input voltage to whatever you want within those ranges. Basically you are telling the Multi what voltages you will accept and if the voltage is accepted the multiplus will pass that voltage through to the outputs. If input voltage is outside of the range you set, the Multi will switch to inverter. If you have sensitve electronics that have a limited acceptable voltage range, you set the Multi to match that range and it will only connect to shore power when voltage is within that range. So no, it is not a power conditioner, it just ignores power that is outside of the parameters you set.

You also set the inverter output voltage to whatever you like within the range it is capable of producing, but that is a single number not a range.
Darn.

Excellent explanation though. But I suppose at the end of the day this still serves effectively the same function.
The Multiplus is more like an intelligent DC-AC inverter, when it also runs on a battery, making from 24VDC a true sinus 120VAC.
So when the shore voltage would drop, or current would not be enough, the Multiplus compensates this via the battery power.
I see the Multiplus with battery connected as a more versatile UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), as used in server rooms, etc.

A laptop power supply is a switching power supply, mostly capable of using voltages within a bigger range, like 80-140VAC.
You could check the spec's on the laptop's power supply, to see if your's works within a bigger voltage range too.
The laptop should be a bit more tolerant, I agree.

My main concern will be not wrecking a mini-split AC, but I haven't yet looked into the power tolerances of these things. LIkewise I need to look into what this situation will do to an induction cooktop, if anything. The third piece is an electric water heater.

Ultimately I fully intend this thing to run 100% on solar, but want to understand the implications of plugging in to some middle of nowhere campground full of 30 foot RVs with dual AC units running 24/7.

I'm reading the Multiplus 24/3000/70 data sheet and it states an acceptable input voltage of 95-140VAC and 45-65hz with an output of 120vac +/-2%.

The sheet doesn't explicitly state it will turn a poor quality shore power source (say, 100v) into a stable 120, however these specs seem to indicate it would do just that.

Is this the case? My plans don't really include the necessity of shore power but if it's available it would be nice to utilize since I'll have a 30A connector there anyways.

Not needing an additional component to stabilize this would be wonderful, as I'll likely be plugging in a laptop here and there.
I have that unit. As stated, it isn’t a power regulator in the sense that it won’t ramp up weak shore power to a higher level absent battery backup. It does have several UPS-like functions that will use the batteries to boost shore power to a specified level, within the scope of its range. It’s a top shelf inverter/charger, but not the same as a voltage correction device, like a Furman Power Regulator, for instance.

I have that unit. As stated, it isn’t a power regulator in the sense that it won’t ramp up weak shore power to a higher level absent battery backup. It does have several UPS-like functions that will use the batteries to boost shore power to a specified level, within the scope of its range. It’s a top shelf inverter/charger, but not the same as a voltage correction device, like a Furman Power Regulator, for instance.
Yeah, so far I am not seeing any reason not to buy it. I was just curious if it would have an extra benefit.

The Multiplus will provide load support but will not give voltage support.
The only way to really correct low voltage is through a boost transformer or double conversion.

The boost function is the main reason I bought the MultiPlus.

The manual is available for electronic download from the Victron site, and it does explain configuration and what the settings do.

The boost function is the main reason I bought the MultiPlus.

The manual is available for electronic download from the Victron site, and it does explain configuration and what the settings do.
Wait. So you said it doesn't do that first but now that's the reason you bought it?

Is this just a different "boost" you're mentioning now?

Oh. Yeah I know what you're referring to.

It's ability to combine the multiple sources, correct?

Right, I always forget the name of that. "Power Assist" can use battery/inverter to boost or assist when drawing from a low power service. (And as far as I can tell, the inverter will match the voltage from the grid. When you don't use the grid, the inverter runs at the voltage you set) Example would be a boat/RV that plugs into a 15 amp circuit. Instead of tripping the breaker when you turn on the air conditioner, the Multi will add power from the battery to start or run a load that draws more than 15 amps, like starting a microwave or the A/C compressor. The AC input is also a limit that you can set.

It works great too. The power boost allows me to charge my batteries and run loads with the small generator I already had. I ran a window A/C and charged batteries during the last power outage we had, with only a Honda EU2200. And during the day my solar panels add to the generator charge. :cool: I plugged in an electric kettle and the inverter seamlessly added power to supplement the generator until I unplugged the kettle. I think there are other inverters that can do similar.

Yeah I can see that coming in handy if I have a low power day and can fire up my 1800w propane generator exactly as you've described.

Back